Accused of racism

Gnash

Earlier this week I was accused of racism by one of the people who reports to me at work. The claim is that I treated her differently than others in the team, because of her race.

In support of her claim, she cited two examples. In one, I rebuked her privately because she did not turn up to the office at 9am and I had to call her (at 10am) to find out that she was taking the day off sick (she's meant to ensure I am aware she is off by 9.15am). She said that no one else in the team had been treated that way. In the other example, I was quite abrupt while speaking to her on the phone, for which I later apologised when we were both in the office. She didn't explain how this treatment was different to my treatment of anyone else.

This comes against the background of me issuing her with a disciplinary warning for her poor performance. I believe she is trying to deflect attention away from her own performance issues by making false counter claims without any regard for the potentially serious consequences for me (or possibly because of the potentially serious consequences for me).

HR are now investigating the her claims and while I'm confident they will find nothing in them, I'm offended and actually quite angry she even made them.

For the record, I have never knowingly treated her, or anyone at work, differently due to their skin colour. Also, if I had exhibited any unconscious bias it would have come to light before now and she would have been able to produce clear examples of this, which she has not done.

Has anyone else been wrongly (or indeed correctly) accused of racism?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earlier this week I was accused of racism by one of the people who reports to me at work. The claim is that I treated her differently than others in the team, because of her race.

In support of her claim, she cited two examples. In one, I rebuked her privately because she did not turn up to the office at 9am and I had to call her (at 10am) to find out that she was taking the day off sick (she's meant to ensure I am aware she is off by 9.15am). She said that no one else in the team had been treated that way. In the other example, I was quite abrupt while speaking to her on the phone, for which I later apologised when we were both in the office. She didn't explain how this treatment was different to my treatment of anyone else.

This comes against the background of me issuing her with a disciplinary warning for her poor performance. I believe she is trying to deflect attention away from her own performance issues by making false counter claims without any regard for the potentially serious consequences for me (or possibly because of the potentially serious consequences for me).

HR are now investigating the her claims and while I'm confident they will find nothing in them, I'm offended and actually quite angry she even made them.

For the record, I have never knowingly treated her, or anyone at work, differently due to their skin colour. Also, if I had exhibited any unconscious bias it would have come to light before now and she would have been able to produce clear examples of this, which she has not done.

I think she has a good case tbh.

If you are seriously asking the bunch of idiots on here (myself included), then you are in the wrong job.

Got to agree, if I was accused of racism or to be honest pretty much anything serious like it, the last place I'd be looking for sympathy or feedback would be on here. :lol: Hopefully the P & B collective conscience will be of some assistance to you.

I assume it's an office environment. Might be an idea to speak to her previous line managers to find out if it's been a recurring problem - quite often in cases like this there will be a trail of similar complaints dating to roughly the times they were found out in their previous posts.

We had a girl who had put in claims of harrassment in her last FIVE posts, all a couple of weeks after getting papped on a warning to improve.

If it turns out this is the first time this has ever happened?

Yeah, you're a big old racist and just don't know it.

Never+though+Hitler+would+make+me+horny+

I have, on an absurd amount of counts. But I changed my name and moved to Scotland, so hopefully all is cool. Anyway, it was ages ago.

Frequently been accused by leftist halfwits, but back on topic, there are a couple of women in my office who've played the racist and sexist card on a number of occassions. If she failed to follow the absence proceedure, then you should raise this as an issue with your HR dept.

Right there.

Clear your desk.

Frequently been accused by leftist halfwits, but back on topic, there are a couple of women in my office who've played the racist and sexist card on a number of occassions. If she failed to follow the absence proceedure, then you should raise this as an issue with your HR dept.

Going by some of your other posts on here, they probably had a case.

Archived