Partick Thistle vs Ross County - 13/08/14

So glad to see O'Donnell back to his best. He was brilliant, as was Fraser, and Osman looks a real find. Hoping Stevenson manages to fit into our team in time - he certainly improved as the match went on. Now let's go pump Dundee.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did think that at the time - but thinking back, I can't remember any players complaining about the booking, even Higgy himself who as we know can be a narky wee shite? Could be wrong, but if I'm right the lack of reaction is telling.

Having watched the highlights - yep. Definite dive. Higgy must go etc.

edit: that first goal is way better than I thought. Two lovely, lovely passes.

further edit: Dat Fox save, man. Dat fuckin' Fox save...

Osman and Fraser were the best players on the park. If anything, 4-0 flatters County.

Here's a C+P job from OTB, with some new comments added.

Abysmal.

Admittedly, we're only two games into the season but a defeat like that saps any enthusiasm you have for the new season. Kilmarnock is a "must-win" game now, and that's not a knee-jerk reaction.

The second half was just diabolical. Jervis somehow managed to miss from less than six yards out but really that was County's only effort of note. Hopeless balls hoofed forwards.

Adams needs to shoulder a portion of the blame. I don't think anyone can sit and say "Yes, he's been playing our strongest XI". Bizarre subs as well - Arquin and Carey at least looked like they were offering something. To their credit, De Leeuw and Cardle looked relatively decent when they came on. His tactics seemed totally wrong, County looked toothless and relied on passing the ball about before hoofing it long.

The players need to take the rest of the blame. Both new and experienced players looked out of their depth. The right-back had a nightmare but he wasn't offered any real protection from the defender next to him or the player in front of him. Bizarrely, the left-back looked ok but two of the goals (I can't remember the 1st or 3rd goals) came down his side.

There's still a long way to go but Adams needs to start playing his strongest team, and not the team he wants to work. Kilmarnock is a must-win game - anything less than a win and we can settle ourselves in for a bottom two finish.

I suppose the only "silver lining" (if you can even call it that) is that the team is still, to use the old cliche, gelling. The second half saw 5 new players all playing together at the back. That's more clutching at straws than anything else, however.

Thought we were quite magnificent last night. The balance of our midfield three was excellent, and Fraser really was on another planet. I think Bannigan's great, but Fraser has the potential to be one of the best players we've ever seen at Firhill. His cross field passing is ridiculous for a guy who's just turned 20. Also Osman was brilliant. Looked more comfortable on the ball than Osbourne and great at fetching it back. He also doesn't have that history of injuries.

Great to see some of the guys who got a bit lost last season come back into it. O'Donnell on form is one of the best full backs in Scotland. Problem is he's one of the worst when low on confidence. But yeah, second half he tore them apart. Fraser was loving that out ball, and he's a much better attacking option than McMillan. McMillan was brilliant though. I'd prefer a left footed left back, but he did a really good job there.

Also pleasing to see Lawless playing so well. Been a while since we had him and SOD on the right wing together, but they linked up really nicely. I think now we potentially have a more solid defence, and a holding midfielder, we can afford to play Lawless more. Think Archie didn't trust him to put in a shift as much as Elliott or others, but hopefully we see more of him now.

Also anyone angry at Archie's signing policy needs to look at that Country side. Some absolutely hopeless players. The two full backs were useless. Cardle looks a bit like our John Baird signing from last season. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at a Livi or QOTS by January.

Also anyone angry at Archie's signing policy needs to look at that Country side. Some absolutely hopeless players. The two full backs were useless. Cardle looks a bit like our John Baird signing from last season. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at a Livi or QOTS by January.

9 of our players last night (including subs) were from our title winning squad. If you look,at St Johnstone and Caley, both have kept together a tight knit squad and manage top half finishes, think Archie's latched onto that detail. Keeping together most of the team may be key for us this season.

I think one of the best things about last night was how sharp lawless looked.

Last season I wasn't sure he had the physicality to play in the division but he looked excellent tonight.

What he was saying about carrying a knock for most of last season must've been true so glad it looks like he could be over it.

9 of our players last night (including subs) were from our title winning squad. If you look,at St Johnstone and Caley, both have kept together a tight knit squad and manage top half finishes, think Archie's latched onto that detail. Keeping together most of the team may be key for us this season.

I really envy your ability to keep your title winning team together. After one year in the top flight we lost a core of players, and thus have been stuck with a squad that doesn't stick together for 6 months, never mind an entire year

Good point about Lawless, had flashes last season but put in a very good performance last evening. It was also pleasing to see our level of performance did not drop when Craigen and Elliott came on. These lads have had their fair share of negative criticism but I'd rather have young, hungry players who are improving their game than some old journeyman. I guess this applies to the core of our team with SOD, Bannigan, Balatoni, Fox and Lawless. I don't know how we could replace these lads from the transfer market? Now we have Fraser signed up as well. A far better strategy I feel than the likes of County who chop and change half their team every transfer window?

Searching for positives, it wouldn't have been a fair reflection, but we could have been level at HT if Rocco had taken his chance or Carey's brilliant shot hadn't smacked the bar/post.

2nd half we were horsed though. Unless Boyd was injured why the feck was he hooked? He was made scapegoat last January in the 3-3 and never played again for weeks, not again Adams please.

Our first 3 games last season were 2-1, 3-1 and 4-0 defeats. Huge improvement needed for Saturday.

Thistle were excellent, very easy on the eye.

The cheese & bean pie wasn't bad and well done with the new wash hand basins in the away Gents, progress. :thumsup2

Pretty much echo most of what's been said already. We were outstanding but made to look better because of how bad County were. Our midfield three is immense, and Gary Fraser's cross field pass for the 4th goal was the best I've seen for a long time. Fair play to the County fans for firstly making the long journey down on a Wednesday night and not leaving early after seeing that. The right and left backs are absolutely appalling, Fenlon being a particular nightmare. Higginbotham was taking the mick out of him the whole time he was on the park.

It was an extremely impressive performance, as good as any that we've produced over the last few years. There was a great synergy throughout the team (something that County completely lacked) and some of the patterns of play were a joy to watch. That said, I thought we were slightly disjointed for the opening ten minutes or so, particularly when breaking on a counter where there were massive gaps in the middle of the park; however, once we settled into the game, this resolved itself.

There's only one place to start - Gary Fraser. As sublime a performance as I've ever witnessed in nearly 20 years. Dare I say it, some of his passes were Charnley-esque. If he can keep his head screwed on - and I think he's showing signs of maturing - he can be as good as he wants to be and we'll make a tidy sum when he departs. Archie pushing him into a slightly more advanced position suits his game perfectly and his alternation with Bannigan throughout the game was just fantastic. He orchestrated everything, set up the second and fourth goals with tremendous passes and made his own goal look very easy (great composure from Christie to pick him out, by the way). A genuine ten out of ten performance.

He was supported very ably by the aforementioned Bannigan and Abdul Osman who provided the steel and aggression that we've missed since Osbourne's injury. The only criticism that I had of Bannigan's game in seasons gone by was that he never scored enough goals or got himself into the positions to do so but he did that on a couple of occasions last night. If he can add goals to his game, he's in the same boat as Fraser and could go onto play at a really decent level. Osman is more mobile than Osbourne and rarely wastes the ball; only one small criticism would be that he was caught ball-watching a couple of times during short spells of County pressure but that could be attributed to tiredness. Very impressive from the midfield triumvirate.

McMillan has given Archie something to think about because he was tremendous at left back. I'm a big fan of McMillan and think he's developed into one of our most important players. Solid defensively and showed great stamina to get up the line to support Higginbotham. Against trickier wingers such as Hayes and Doran for example, he might be vulnerable on the turn but I'd be content for him to continue in the position. One thing is for certain - Archie definitely cannot drop him on the back of that performance.

Elsewhere, I thought Seaborne had a solid debut and showed signs that he and Balatoni could form a decent partnership. He was vocal and attacked the ball which are two attributes we've been looking for plus he showed that he could play a bit by sliding a few passes in the wide areas on a number of occasions. O'Donnell was back to his swashbuckling best but is still fragile defensively as exemplified by most of County's attacks coming down our right side. I mentioned after the Sunderland game that Stevenson would be wasted up front and that proved to be the case despite a workmanlike display.

As for County, it's just the exact same problem as last season. Thought the left-back was particularly poor and the whole defence looked like they'd barely met. Brittain's attempts at cheating were almost as pathetic as his performance. Like most County fans, I imagine, I'm flummoxed why Adams doesn't start de Leeuw who appears to be the best attacking option.

All in all, a very encouraging start.

In case anyone fancies watching most of the game again, BBC ALBA are showing 60 minute of highlights at 11pm, after the Killie vs Aberdeen highlights programme. The only problem I can see, is how they will fit all the highlights into 60 minutes

In case anyone fancies watching most of the game again, BBC ALBA are showing 60 minute of highlights at 11pm, after the Killie vs Aberdeen highlights programme. The only problem I can see, is how they will fit all the highlights into 60 minutes

Perhaps it betrays some sort of masochist tendencies in me, but I watched it all over again on ALBA. It really wasn't much better the second time round. Thistle looked comfortable throughout, with what looks like a settled squad. They played some rather sexy football, hope they stay up.

Tried hard to take positives from it... I guess Reguero had a better game than I thought last night, despite it being 4-0. I wouldn't fault him for any of the goals - he stopped it from being 5 or 6. You could see sparks of individual talent at times, but the team definitely lacked chemistry/understanding. Would love to see Arquin/De Leeuw/Carey playing together from the start on Saturday.

Perhaps it betrays some sort of masochist tendencies in me, but I watched it all over again on ALBA. It really wasn't much better the second time round. Thistle looked comfortable throughout, with what looks like a settled squad. They played some rather sexy football, hope they stay up.

Tried hard to take positives from it... I guess Reguero had a better game than I thought last night, despite it being 4-0. I wouldn't fault him for any of the goals - he stopped it from being 5 or 6. You could see sparks of individual talent at times, but the team definitely lacked chemistry/understanding. Would love to see Arquin/De Leeuw/Carey playing together from the start on Saturday.

If Wednesday was anything to go by, you may get your wish. Don't be shocked if Adams subs all 3 by half-time, though.

Archived