Kilmarnock vs Aberdeen - 13/08/14

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw someone say on twitter that Kilmarnock have a plastic pitch now (thought they weren't allowed in the SPL, shows how little attention I pay), which is a bit concerning. Didn't Fyvie get a long-term injury due to one of these death traps?

You've clearly not been paying attention to this thread, too.

Russell Anderson won't feature to protect his knees, but other than that the pitch shouldn't cause much of an issue. In fact, it favours passing football.

Russell Anderson won't feature to protect his knees, but other than that the pitch shouldn't cause much of an issue. In fact, it favours passing football.

Seeing as Fyvie ruined his knee on a plastic pitch (footwear came into it), they obviously do pose issues.

You don't get players avoiding grass.

The fact that key players are not participating in competitive matches because they fear injury shows it already has caused a significant issue.

There should be absolutely no need for a premiership team to have a plastic pitch nor should it be allowed.

If you can't look after a bit of grass properly for a few months then you really need to take a good look at your ground staff.

Rubbish.

Kilmarnock spent a fair bit on replacing our grass pitch not so long ago, and it lasted a season. The synthetic option means that we can rent the pitch to other local sides for training, private groups and other sports (Scotland's Autumn Rugby Test will be played there e.g.) meaning the club can benefit financially throughout the year. And that's before we even go into the money saved by moving training from Glasgow Uni back to Kilmarnock.

Being so close to Glasgow, a large % of our potential fanbase is lost for good, so we need to find other ways to compete and stay in the league where we belong. The 3G surface will mean Killie can make money every year should we be run properly, which will mean that we can hopefully be competing nearer the top end of the table in the not so distant future. It makes perfect sense for all community clubs to go down this route.

The fact that key players are not participating in competitive matches because they fear injury shows it already has caused a significant issue.

So we should be penalised financially because Russell Anderson's knees are goosed? We didn't do that to him, so if he or the club decides that he can't play on a pitch that is approved by FIFA, UEFA and the SPFL than that is their decision to worry over, not ours.

I for one cannot wait for the inevitable moanfest from fans of visiting teams to Rugby Park about the pitch, starting with this thread.

It will be the inevitable excuse for anyone (outwith Hamilton) who lose at Rugby Park :rolleyes:

Rubbish.

Kilmarnock spent a fair bit on replacing our grass pitch not so long ago, and it lasted a season. The synthetic option means that we can rent the pitch to other local sides for training, private groups and other sports (Scotland's Autumn Rugby Test will be played there e.g.) meaning the club can benefit financially throughout the year. And that's before we even go into the money saved by moving training from Glasgow Uni back to Kilmarnock.

Being so close to Glasgow, a large % of our potential fanbase is lost for good, so we need to find other ways to compete and stay in the league where we belong. The 3G surface will mean Killie can make money every year should we be run properly, which will mean that we can hopefully be competing nearer the top end of the table in the not so distant future. It makes perfect sense for all community clubs to go down this route.

So we should be penalised financially because Russell Anderson's knees are goosed? We didn't do that to him, so if he or the club decides that he can't play on a pitch that is approved by FIFA, UEFA and the SPFL than that is their decision to worry over, not ours.

It will be the inevitable excuse for anyone (outwith Hamilton) who lose at Rugby Park :rolleyes:

The fact that professional footballers don't feel safe on your surface, and that we've had a player recently who had a long-term injury on a plastic pitch show that they are not as good as grass. The SPFL should not have allowed you to go ahead with such a pitch. Having a grass pitch isn't a financial penalty, it's doing what almost every other club up and down the country manage to do. Clubs should have a duty to ensure their pitches are safe for all players, Kilmarnock have not done that. Both the SPFL and Kilmarnock should be ashamed of themselves.

The fact that professional footballers don't feel safe on your surface, and that we've had a player recently who had a long-term injury on a plastic pitch show that they are not as good as grass. The SPFL should not have allowed you to go ahead with such a pitch. Having a grass pitch isn't a financial penalty, it's doing what almost every other club up and down the country manage to do. Clubs should have a duty to ensure their pitches are safe for all players, Kilmarnock have not done that. Both the SPFL and Kilmarnock should be ashamed of themselves.

If 'plastic' is so unsafe, then why are youth footballers up and down the country training and playing on plastic pitches week in week out? Are you telling me that in 10 years there'll be no footballers whatsoever because they've grown up on these pitches? In a lot of cases worse pitches than ours.

Why don't all teams have plastic pitches if it's so much better then?

Because football is full of 'traditionalists' that are of the opinion that the pitches are unsafe, which isn't true. Come back to me in ten years and we'll see how many clubs in the country have changed from grass.

The tattie field you usually play on is worse for injuries.

Aberdeen will train on artifical pitches for months on end.

Nice to see Aberdeen getting their excuses in early i suppose. Norwegian/Icelsndic teams mostly play on artificial surfaces. I presume their players are cripples by 30?

I actually saw a post on Aberdeen Mad about pitch. An Aberdeen fan who played in scandanavia for 6 years totally rubbished suggestions that they cause more injuries.

Was Fyvie's injury not his own, and Aberdeen's, fault? They were told* what boots were and were not suitable, and they chose to ignore the advice.

Idiots will reject the evidence that shows the injuries (both type of injury and number of injuries) that occur on 3G pitches are comparable to those that occur on natural pitches. IIRC, one study used the phrase "trivial differences" - that study was carried out by doctors from football clubs.

However, there's never been a recorded case of a footballer suffering a serious, career-ending, injury on a grass pitch so I suppose 3G pitches should just be banned altogether.

*And even if they weren't told, AFC is supposedly a professional football club so they really should know what footwear is and is not suitable.

Rubbish.

Apart from Rugby internationals and the like, only KFC youth sides will use the pitch.

It won't be used by local clubs.

Do key players do that in Europe or just injury prone Scottish players with dodgy knees?

Does Anderson not train in winter when pitches are frozen?

I'd be very surprised at that. Is that down to funding towards the pitch?

No idea but Bowie told us in June at first SLO meeting and confirmed it at KFCSA AGM.

Will be used by Killie youth teams to first team plus Killie Ladies I think.

Odd schools cup final etc but not rented out like Hamilton do.

Looking forward to this tomorrow night. Be good to see the new pitch in action, just a shame that we went back to hoofing it up the park against Dundee on Saturday. Would have Hamill back in for Pasca at centre mid. Pasca should never play centre mid, he can't pass further than 5 yards. Obadeyi was awful on Saturday, dunno how he never got taken off when Eremenko came on. Chantler had a good game at left back, although I wouldn't get carried away about having a great left back again just yet. I didn't see as many games as I'd have liked over the last few years but I only seen Tesselaar have one bad game off the top of my head, never understood the hate he got from our support.

Anyone know how long Miller is out for?

I'd go for this tomorrow night;

Samson

Barbour Connolly Ashcroft Chantler

Hamill Slater

McKenzie Eremenko Johnston

Magennis

It is early to throw Eremenko in I admit. But we did bring him back to play that position, get the ball to him and let him do what he does best.

He can't do any worse that Tope Obadeyi.

Looking forward to this tomorrow night. Be good to see the new pitch in action, just a shame that we went back to hoofing it up the park against Dundee on Saturday. Would have Hamill back in for Pasca at centre mid. Pasca should never play centre mid, he can't pass further than 5 yards. Obadeyi was awful on Saturday, dunno how he never got taken off when Eremenko came on. Chantler had a good game at left back, although I wouldn't get carried away about having a great left back again just yet. I didn't see as many games as I'd have liked over the last few years but I only seen Tesselaar have one bad game off the top of my head, never understood the hate he got from our support.

Anyone know how long Miller is out for?

I'd go for this tomorrow night;

Samson

Barbour Connolly Ashcroft Chantler

Hamill Slater

McKenzie Eremenko Johnston

Magennis

It is early to throw Eremenko in I admit. But we did bring him back to play that position, get the ball to him and let him do what he does best.

He can't do any worse that Tope Obadeyi.

I'd have

Samson

Barbour Ashcroft Connolly Chantler

Hamill Slater

McKenzie Johnston

Magennis

Muirhead

If 'plastic' is so unsafe, then why are youth footballers up and down the country training and playing on plastic pitches week in week out? Are you telling me that in 10 years there'll be no footballers whatsoever because they've grown up on these pitches? In a lot of cases worse pitches than ours.

Because plastic pitches are the cheap option. Even the manufactures of the plastic pitches do not claim they are better than grass.

Archived