Ardrossan Winton Rovers

I took in today in today's Ardagh League Cup game v Kilwinning Rangers and, having paid £21 to watch an utterly dreadful game at Ibrox on Tuesday night, this reaffirmed just why I love the juniors.

For a £4 admission fee I got a very competitive and entertaining game with two absolutely cracking goals, a bust up between the respective managers/assistant managers as one was sent off, a friendly club with very helpful people and, most of all, no stewards hassling me, leaving me to wander round Winton Park and take the ground in. Add in a day out by the seaside and a few beers and I know for sure why I don't go to senior football more than three or four times a year.

No bust up between the managers. Chris junior was playing centre mid and had to concentrate on the game. Alan Mahood sent to dressing room for comments to referee on far side of park. No issue with Caddis sending off, just over ball and stretching into tackle and just catching wee Chris. Winton will be slightly disappointed, just off the pace today following good pre season. Any side in the section could have gained a slight advantage today with a win as other sides all drew.

It was Mahood who was red-carded for comments to the ref regarding Winton's No.5's strong tackle on Bruce Montgomery with the ref demonstrating he had played the ball however both must've missed Montgomery's leading elbow towards the No 5's head in the next heading joust. Small point but should Mahood have walked straight over the park after his red card, surely as he was at the far touchline he should have been directed around the perimeter and also not permitted to hang about in front of the stand debating with the Winton management. If he has value to the Buffs as a coach keep him at Training but perhaps he should be invited to go fishing instead of attending matches and haranguing officials - after all, doesn't he have a history of this behaviour to the detriment of Buff's reputation. I remember seeing Eric Philips (allegedly the World's best goalkeeping coach) loudly miscalling the ref at Ardeer and the ref mistakenly sent off George Grierson.

Alan Mahood was shown towards the stand by the ref that's why he walked across the pitch & as he stood at the mouth of the tunnel he was only a few feet away from Caddis sitting on the AWR bench after his sending off, both shouldn't have been inside the playing area. Bruce McMaster did lead with his elbow once, unlike Cochrane & Gilmour who led with theirs constantly. What's Eric Philips miscalling a ref got to do with Alan Mahood's reputation ?

Was that the world's smallest ref there yesterday? Stand up Mr Sean Welsh. Oh, you are already! Sorry, mate :)

Ah thought he was just standing really far away. Lol.

What's not entertaining about a bust up barrfield?

As an ex-pro there to watch the game the tackle by Wintons number 5 was outragous. At that level every player has work on the Monday and that tackle could have ended in serious injury. All for 100% commitment but it was a cowards tackle and sitting with both fans nobody could understand how he stayed on the park. I can fully understand Mahoods reaction and I was fully expecting the Winton management to sub the number 5 in the aftermath, thats how bad, in my opinion, the tackle was.

Archived