Funds Injection at Airdrie?

Looking forward to the start of a new season where Airdrie will build on the excellent performances during the back end of 2013/14.

OK, the cups will not be a distraction for us now but there must be a chance of the chairman passing on to Gary Bollan some of the income realised from the sale of Jordan Allan (rumoured to be six figures), Liam Coogans (when that finally goes through) and, of course, the 'sell on fee' agreed with Celtic for Tony Watt.

Good business for the Diamonds, well done Jim Ballantyne now let's see some of the cash.

Looking forward to the start of a new season where Airdrie will build on the excellent performances during the back end of 2013/14.

OK, the cups will not be a distraction for us now but there must be a chance of the chairman passing on to Gary Bollan some of the income realised from the sale of Jordan Allan (rumoured to be six figures), Liam Coogans (when that finally goes through) and, of course, the 'sell on fee' agreed with Celtic for Tony Watt.

Good business for the Diamonds, well done Jim Ballantyne now let's see some of the cash.

Well done Jim Ballantyne you having a laugh there are more chance that a billionaire arab buying the club and put millions into the club Ballantyne is a absolute low-life dirty lying stingy git that you will ever meet we will never see that money again. :(

From a source in the know, Allan went for £30,000 and Airdrie got £110,000 from Watt moving on.

ETA - how can you thank Ballantyne for transfers? Surely the thanks should go to the youth department for successfully preparing the players for senior football and to their managers at the time for playing them and getting the best out of them

From a source in the know, Allan went for £30,000 and Airdrie got £110,000 from Watt moving on.

ETA - how can you thank Ballantyne for transfers? Surely the thanks should go to the youth department for successfully preparing the players for senior football and to their managers at the time for playing them and getting the best out of them

Allan came on once as a sub (from memory anyway) and even then it was purely to gain publicity and raise awareness because of how young he was, Coogans played a handful of times - mainly as a sub -, and Tony Watt was with us for half a season and towards the end was on the bench, so the managers don't really deserve much credit. Fair play to the guys who scouted them though at youth level.

It's quite a perverse situation now at teams like Airdrie where if you are a young player and become a first team regular it's almost a sign that you aren't really good enough to make it much further because if you're any good you'll get picked up either before you make the first team or within a few months of making it - like the 3 mentioned above. The ones who become regulars in the first team - like Blockley, Watt, Bain and Stewart - are the ones who'll never play for a better team than Airdrie.

It happens at all levels of the game now I suppose, but because there's so much money at the top end of the game clubs can afford to just pluck the talented players at such young ages before fans actually see them play in the first team. And clubs like ours are so desperate for the money that we can't afford to knock back even 5 figure sums, whilst the buying club gets a very low risk, high reward transfer.

I never thanked Ballantyne for the transfers, just said that it was good business.

I don't necessarily agree with the process, but it IS good business.

If the club pays (say, an inflated figure of) £8,000 a game at the stadium, over 18 games that's £144,000.

So this seasons Stadium costs are covered.

Like I say, good business although not so good for us.

Looks like the stadium is a 'no cost' situation for the club this year though.

I bet that due to good accounting practice and the PR machine we still come out in public and say how bad things are. After all, we hardly got into the black last year with three games against Rangers.

I never thanked Ballantyne for the transfers, just said that it was good business.

I don't necessarily agree with the process, but it IS good business.

If the club pays (say, an inflated figure of) £8,000 a game at the stadium, over 18 games that's £144,000.

So this seasons Stadium costs are covered.

Like I say, good business although not so good for us.

Looks like the stadium is a 'no cost' situation for the club this year though.

I bet that due to good accounting practice and the PR machine we still come out in public and say how bad things are. After all, we hardly got into the black last year with three games against Rangers.

The stadium rent was much higher for the Rangers games - I'm sure I read somewhere it was in the region of £40,000.

The stadium rent was much higher for the Rangers games - I'm sure I read somewhere it was in the region of £40,000.

Considering that on normal match days it's only £3,300 to rent the stadium, I think the £40,000 figure was inflated somewhat. I'd imagine it would have gone up but not by that much.

At a meeting with the Trust and a seperate shareholders meeting we were told similar figures. However information since then and of course the denial by Ballantyne in the press must cast serious doubts over the figures we were told.

£40,000 may have been the total cost of running the game, including police, stewarding, stadium hire etc. Will we ever know the truth of that?

However, I recall that the club increased pricing in some areas by £1 'to cover increased stadium costs'.

If you say that there were 9,000 paying customers at an average of £12/ticket that's £108,000.

A profit of over £60,000 for one game. Plus tv fees, plus extra hospitality income. I was crammed into hospitality and my host had to buy a package to secure what he did, so overall additional income it could be as high as £100,000 for the first game against Rangers.

Call it a conservative £150,000 for the two home games then of course there was the small matter of a shared gate for the cup game at Ibrox.

It won't be as simple as that, but it would be hard to lose money in those circumstances, especially for a shrewd businessman like the chairman.

Archived