Have Celtic Managed...?

I'd rather the Scottish league was about as good as the Irish league if it meant Celtic and Rangers weren't here. Bigoted blight on Scottish football that run it only for the benefit of themselves. I couldn't give two monkeys about Europe if it meant suckling in to the OF for a couple of extra coefficient points.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Years ago,when both Old Firm teams were doing pretty well, Dundee had guys like Novo and Caniggia. They can't get guys like that now because the league is in the toilet at the moment.

Above is perhaps the most stupid, ignorant thing I've ever read on P&B.

You clearly know next to nothing and understand far less.

• 3 weeks later...
Casual Bystander, on 27 Aug 2014 - 01:37, said:

The most hilarious thing about Celtic failing in Europe is that they are going to absolutely dismantle the next team in the league. I wonder who that is....

Maybe so, but as I said on the match thread:

If we beat Celtic, which the way they're playing is feasible (Dundee United game aside) then that's Deila one step closer to the sack.

If Celtic win, it'll lead to inevitably more torture for the Celtic fans having to endure his management.

We've had two managerial catastrophes in the past 15 years. Interestingly, both tried to implement free-flowing systems, but failed spectacularly. The problem for Barnes was that he was never a great trainer himself, and the discipline of the team went. He lost the players' respect long before the ICT debacle. Mowbray lost control of the players very early.

RD is also trying to introduce a more ambitious style of football, but I think he's a very different sort to the two aforementioned. Might be some parallels with Paul Le Guen, but he was actually a good coach, and it was a coup for Rangers. However, the players rebelled, and David Murray did not have the stomach to back him through a lean season.

There is nothing wrong with have a preferred system of playing. You can see it in St Johnstone (pressing game, dull as dishwater) and Dundee United (ironically not unlike RD's style). In fact, it's a good attribute for a manager. Neil Lennon's weakness was that he couldn't fix on a particular style, and in the end relied on man management and key individuals like Commons. This was also a characteristic of Alex McLeish's career. Interestingly, such careers end up being short-lived.

But the key to a system of playing is signing the right players. Indeed, it's a very reliable measure of a Celtic's managers prospects, particularly the key one that they insist on early doors. Barnes went out of his way to get Berkovic, while Mowbray did likewise with Fortune (compare and contrast with Jansen buying Larsson, O'Neill buying Sutton and Strachan buying Nakamura). RD has had little opportunity to mould his own squad, but that key creative signing will go a long way to determining his prospects.

For now, I think he's actually what we need. Someone with a new approach, but in particular a strong focus on professional standards like fitness, diet. I'm also pleased that John Collins has been brought in too, as his demise at Hibs was largely due to trying to impose half-decent standards there (and that worked out for them eh ?).

We've had two managerial catastrophes in the past 15 years. Interestingly, both tried to implement free-flowing systems, but failed spectacularly. The problem for Barnes was that he was never a great trainer himself, and the discipline of the team went. He lost the players' respect long before the ICT debacle. Mowbray lost control of the players very early.

RD is also trying to introduce a more ambitious style of football, but I think he's a very different sort to the two aforementioned. Might be some parallels with Paul Le Guen, but he was actually a good coach, and it was a coup for Rangers. However, the players rebelled, and David Murray did not have the stomach to back him through a lean season.

There is nothing wrong with have a preferred system of playing. You can see it in St Johnstone (pressing game, dull as dishwater) and Dundee United (ironically not unlike RD's style). In fact, it's a good attribute for a manager. Neil Lennon's weakness was that he couldn't fix on a particular style, and in the end relied on man management and key individuals like Commons. This was also a characteristic of Alex McLeish's career. Interestingly, such careers end up being short-lived.

But the key to a system of playing is signing the right players. Indeed, it's a very reliable measure of a Celtic's managers prospects, particularly the key one that they insist on early doors. Barnes went out of his way to get Berkovic, while Mowbray did likewise with Fortune (compare and contrast with Jansen buying Larsson, O'Neill buying Sutton and Strachan buying Nakamura). RD has had little opportunity to mould his own squad, but that key creative signing will go a long way to determining his prospects.

For now, I think he's actually what we need. Someone with a new approach, but in particular a strong focus on professional standards like fitness, diet. I'm also pleased that John Collins has been brought in too, as his demise at Hibs was largely due to trying to impose half-decent standards there (and that worked out for them eh ?).

I totally understand what your saying. But unfortunatly you and I know that managers at the majority of football clubs (especially big clubs) these days are not given time to implement these type of long term plans. I think most of us have said; yes we want to look at a long term plan to create a better standard of player, football etc. But when it comes down to it. Results come first. John Barnes and Tony Mowbray came in and their one job to do was finish above Rangers come what may. Ronny Deila has come in and he has probably been told, qualify for the champions league then you can sign players.

Neil Lennon said before and during the January transfer window he wanted to know what players were staying and who were going so he could plan for who he wanted to sign so to be fully integrated into the team come the July qualifers. The board didn't back him! And that is why he obviously left.

On this season so far. I don't blame the Players or even the manager for us losing in both the Legia and Maribor ties Ronny Deila hasn't been backed either. I know there are players in the side that are too good for domestic games but simply are not at the level to compete against similar or even slighty better teams than us on a european level.

There is a lot to agree with in your post, and I'm not one for bagging a manager before he has been backed by the board, or has had some time to put some of his ideas in place. However, sometimes you just see an appointment as a bad fit.

Lennon (I neither wanted him or liked him as boss), wouldn't play Ambrose at full back because he isn't capable of attacking on the flank & crossing the ball. Something that should be a must in RD's 'expansive football'. Lustig can do this & is the smartest player at the club by a country mile. It makes no sense to waste him at centre back.

In the Maribor game he went one up, with a supporting wide two. Unfortunately Berget is never a winger, & his one up man has now went 20 European games with the grand total of one goal.

Kayal is back in favour, Mulgrew is nailed on for a start every week & Johansen (decent engine) seems to be Ronny's go-to guy. This is a midfield three that can't pass the ball six yards in a straight line. All of this could be more expensive than expansive.

Like I said, I don't want to get at the manager this early but his decisions so far are hard to understand. The scary thing for me is that if he gets binned, then John Collins will probably get the gig. A good player but a fkng horrible human being. A complete roaster.

...to appoint a worse manager than Neil Lennon? Deila looks like he doesn't have a clue. His team looks all over the shop, defence is woeful, no real great signings of note and Celtic's best players are offskis due to Deila and Celtic's disastrous Champion's League campaign which is looking all but over. The team Deila has put out tonight looks completely imbalanced and one of the weakest I've seen in some time.

Could this be John Barnes level of hilarity?!

Worse than Lennon? Without a doubt.

As much as I disliked Lennon, and some of his signings were sheeeeite - He did pretty well at the bhigots and probably took them as far as he could.

He did pretty well at the bhigots and probably took them as far as he could.

2 titles and 2 cups in 4 seasons? Thats a terrible record considering the death of Rangers.

Archived