Have Celtic Managed...?

Was a risky appointment, at the right time to take a risk. A lot of folk seem to forget just how woeful Celtic were in Europe last season. That Legia team would have humped them in qualifying then. Christ, they even made Bangura look like a decent player for Elfsborg. It's clear that the players are incapable of playing the game the manager wants them to. They either need to back the manager and bring in players who can, or the manager needs to change his approach. I would expect it to be the first option there, as the whole point of bringing this guy in was to change to the sort of thing that Deila is trying to bring in.

Lawwell won't let him buy many new players now. Now we're out, we'll get one or two small, almost unheard of players coming from the money we'll get off Forster and van Dijk. In the end Deila will need to change for the players or be sacked by March.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Footballers are fucking idiots.

The Celtic players just don't know who this guy is or where he comes from or what his background is and as a result they won't respond to him.

Celtic were already in a demoralised state, with a mediocre team, most of the best players wanting away, a procession of a Premiership title that's even more depressing for them without big-ish games against Hibs and Hearts and half empty stadiums.

Now they have what might as well as be the Swedish Chef in their eyes as a manager and team moral hits rock bottom.

This was exactly how Lennon started on Europe. If Deila gets into the Europa he'll have done better than Lennon. He won't be given the same chances as Lennon though

The truth is, pretty much the entire Scottish game is a joke at the moment. Apart from the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee United and St Johnstone having lifted up a bit, the game is in a poor state.

Rangers, Hearts and Hibs are all in the second tier. Having ONE of the Edinburgh clubs in the second tier would have been a shock a handful of years ago but having both of them and Rangers is beyond belief.

Celtic have had it all their own way recently but many people are just bored to death and Celtic's best players have been waiting at the door to go elsewhere and the quality going in is totally inferior to what is going out. A handful of credible guys were linked with the Celtic job and none of them wanted it in the end and a virtually unknown Norweigian who won one league title with a medium sized club has got the job.

There is a total lack of ambition at almost every club and very little money is going round. If Rangers win the Championship, it'll be at least a boost to attendences and attention in the Premiership next season but there will be major questions on whether they can raise anything for players. It could still be the situation that Celtic could keep scaling down but still be too strong overall, especially if Rangers keep running into financial barriers.

Deila might be able to do OK if he wins the league fairly comfortably this season and I'm not entirely sure he will and I don't think it is impossible that Aberdeen could be champions come May, although I'll concede it is very unlikely but maybe he can bring in some guys from Scandinavia before the deadline and he'd get them for buttons in all probabilty and it could give Celtic enough horsepower to drift past the finishing line.

Next season could have all sorts of situations, (a) Rangers coming up alone or with a non Edinburgh team (b) Rangers coming up with an Edinburgh team © Both Edinburgh teams coming up (d) One Edinburgh team, no Rangers (e) None of the three favourites going up. I'd think (b) is likely but it obviously depends on the bottom of the Premiership too.

Celtic are reliant on Champions League football and not having Rangers and the Edinburgh teams in the Premiership takes a lot of name value out of the top flight. The weak position of three teams generally regarded as top six level makes Scottish football look rather weak.

Celtic's current situation is similar to the early part of the Rangers 9 in a row era as Rangers had pretty weak opponents and it sometimes put Rangers in a no win situation as it wasn't their fault that none of the other teams put up much of a challenge and Celtic are in the same boat at the moment. It makes them look like 'the best of a bad bunch' and even crushing teams week in, week out isn't very convincing as people grow to expect it.

Ronny Deila is going to have a tricky time this season as his team have been poor in Europe and if he struggles in the league, he'll probably run into problems with even surviving in the job. Winning by a landslide will just lead to people saying the league was incredibly weak and a dog in a tracksuit could win the league as manager and it won't build him up much. The only teams that Celtic can be compared with is in Europe and I can't see them managing much in the Europa League if Legia Warsaw make them look pretty awful. Of course, an extended run would give Deila more credibility and could make things better for him.

The truth is that both Old Firm teams need the other one to be pretty strong or they don't have a marker of the level they need to reach to be competitive at home and in Europe.

Celtic's current situation is similar to the early part of the Rangers 9 in a row era as Rangers had pretty weak opponents and it sometimes put Rangers in a no win situation as it wasn't their fault that none of the other teams put up much of a challenge and Celtic are in the same boat at the moment. It makes them look like 'the best of a bad bunch' and even crushing teams week in, week out isn't very convincing as people grow to expect it.

Not having a go at everything in your post but I think the revelations of the last three years would suggest that this notion is nonsense.

Not having a go at everything in your post but I think the revelations of the last three years would suggest that this notion is nonsense.

I thought it contained a fair bit of nonsense myself, not least the part you highlighted.

I agree with his closing paragraph, but see it as a reason to rejoice, rather than despair.

The truth is, pretty much the entire Scottish game is a joke at the moment. Apart from the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee United and St Johnstone having lifted up a bit, the game is in a poor state.

Rangers, Hearts and Hibs are all in the second tier. Having ONE of the Edinburgh clubs in the second tier would have been a shock a handful of years ago but having both of them and Rangers is beyond belief.

Celtic have had it all their own way recently but many people are just bored to death and Celtic's best players have been waiting at the door to go elsewhere and the quality going in is totally inferior to what is going out. A handful of credible guys were linked with the Celtic job and none of them wanted it in the end and a virtually unknown Norweigian who won one league title with a medium sized club has got the job.

There is a total lack of ambition at almost every club and very little money is going round. If Rangers win the Championship, it'll be at least a boost to attendences and attention in the Premiership next season but there will be major questions on whether they can raise anything for players. It could still be the situation that Celtic could keep scaling down but still be too strong overall, especially if Rangers keep running into financial barriers.

Deila might be able to do OK if he wins the league fairly comfortably this season and I'm not entirely sure he will and I don't think it is impossible that Aberdeen could be champions come May, although I'll concede it is very unlikely but maybe he can bring in some guys from Scandinavia before the deadline and he'd get them for buttons in all probabilty and it could give Celtic enough horsepower to drift past the finishing line.

Next season could have all sorts of situations, (a) Rangers coming up alone or with a non Edinburgh team (b) Rangers coming up with an Edinburgh team © Both Edinburgh teams coming up (d) One Edinburgh team, no Rangers (e) None of the three favourites going up. I'd think (b) is likely but it obviously depends on the bottom of the Premiership too.

Celtic are reliant on Champions League football and not having Rangers and the Edinburgh teams in the Premiership takes a lot of name value out of the top flight. The weak position of three teams generally regarded as top six level makes Scottish football look rather weak.

Ronny Deila is going to have a tricky time this season as his team have been poor in Europe and if he struggles in the league, he'll probably run into problems with even surviving in the job. Winning by a landslide will just lead to people saying the league was incredibly weak and a dog in a tracksuit could win the league as manager and it won't build him up much. The only teams that Celtic can be compared with is in Europe and I can't see them managing much in the Europa League if Legia Warsaw make them look pretty awful. Of course, an extended run would give Deila more credibility and could make things better for him.

The truth is that both Old Firm teams need the other one to be pretty strong or they don't have a marker of the level they need to reach to be competitive at home and in Europe.

It's only OF fans and the Scottish tabloids that are decrying the state of the Scottish game at the moment. Everyone else is either carrying on as usual or basking in the joy of not having one of the arse cheeks visiting for a few seasons at least.

Premiership clubs might have to take a slight hit in the pocket by not having one set of neanderthals visiting twice a season at most, but lower league clubs have benefitted (except Morton - shame) when in the past the Self Preservation League has kept the cash in-house rather than it filtering down through the game.

More Prem clubs are getting a crack at Europe in Rangers absence which can only be a good thing financially for those clubs.

None of us provincial club fans give a flying monkey's tits if all this adds to the detriment of Celtic's ability to attract better quality players. Fucking good. If it means they can be clawed back a few points it can only lead to the league being more competitive.

Save the shit about the game being in a state, I've never enjoyed it so much in years. Sold out on last day of last season and probably not far off it on opening day this season.

ARMA-FUCKING-GEDDON!!!

It's only OF fans and the Scottish tabloids that are decrying the state of the Scottish game at the moment. Everyone else is either carrying on as usual or basking in the joy of not having one of the arse cheeks visiting for a few seasons at least.

Premiership clubs might have to take a slight hit in the pocket by not having one set of neanderthals visiting twice a season at most, but lower league clubs have benefitted (except Morton - shame) when in the past the Self Preservation League has kept the cash in-house rather than it filtering down through the game.

More Prem clubs are getting a crack at Europe in Rangers absence which can only be a good thing financially for those clubs.

None of us provincial club fans give a flying monkey's tits if all this adds to the detriment of Celtic's ability to attract better quality players. Fucking good. If it means they can be clawed back a few points it can only lead to the league being more competitive.

Save the shit about the game being in a state, I've never enjoyed it so much in years. Sold out on last day of last season and probably not far off it on opening day this season.

ARMA-FUCKING-GEDDON!!!

I can't see your point. Years ago,when both Old Firm teams were doing pretty well, Dundee had guys like Novo and Caniggia. They can't get guys like that now because the league is in the toilet at the moment. Having Rangers, Hearts and Hibs in the Championship isn't helping the little teams, it is depriving them of gate money. I don't see what the big deal about smaller teams getting a crack at Europe either as many of them play one very mediocre team in the Europa League and go out anyway. Even getting to the group stages in the Europa doesn't bring in a fortune.

Scotland has only one Champions League place at the moment with the big rewards and it is pretty obvious where that will be generally going unless Rangers scramble together some cash eventually.

I know the standards haven't been so terrible in the 'chasing pack' but below that at the bottom of the Premiership, it hasn't been great. Sure the relegation dogfight in the Premiership and the promotion battle in the Championship were exciting but not exactly high quality.

The way things have been going, the league will get worse and Celtic will stay on team with a team that will be even weaker than their current lineup. They'll struggle in Europe and decline gradually but still remain on top until Rangers raise a few bob and end up back on top.

Dundee United have been flogging some of their best players and don't exactly appear ready to splash cash to get replacements. Aberdeen are likely to lose some of their better players too. Stevie May is probably leaving St Johnstone for a disgustingly low fee (£800,000 seems to be what is being spoken about and I think he is worth x2-x3 more than that) and the money just seems to be keeping the clubs afloat rather than being reinvested.

I can't see your point. Years ago,when both Old Firm teams were doing pretty well, Dundee had guys like Novo and Caniggia. They can't get guys like that now because the league is in the toilet at the moment. Having Rangers, Hearts and Hibs in the Championship isn't helping the little teams, it is depriving them of gate money. I don't see what the big deal about smaller teams getting a crack at Europe either as many of them play one very mediocre team in the Europa League and go out anyway. Even getting to the group stages in the Europa doesn't bring in a fortune.

Scotland has only one Champions League place at the moment with the big rewards and it is pretty obvious where that will be generally going unless Rangers scramble together some cash eventually.

I know the standards haven't been so terrible in the 'chasing pack' but below that at the bottom of the Premiership, it hasn't been great. Sure the relegation dogfight in the Premiership and the promotion battle in the Championship were exciting but not exactly high quality.

The way things have been going, the league will get worse and Celtic will stay on team with a team that will be even weaker than their current lineup. They'll struggle in Europe and decline gradually but still remain on top until Rangers raise a few bob and end up back on top.

Dundee United have been flogging some of their best players and don't exactly appear ready to splash cash to get replacements. Aberdeen are likely to lose some of their better players too. Stevie May is probably leaving St Johnstone for a disgustingly low fee (£800,000 seems to be what is being spoken about and I think he is worth x2-x3 more than that) and the money just seems to be keeping the clubs afloat rather than being reinvested.

So we got Caniggia because both Old Firm teams were doing well?

Ehem, we were able to afford players like them then,look where that got us

Then Rangers bought him off us and look where signings and wages like that got them.

Scotland needs a strong Rangers and Celtic though.

United have sold two players for very high fees in the context of Scottish football. The reason we are unwilling to "splash cash" is because splashing cash on piss poor players in attempt to chase your lot and Celtic was what got us into financial strife in the first place.

Our gates were up last season. As a result of good financial management, and the aforementioned sales, we are now effectively out of debt and operating at a profit. The presence of Dundee, St Johnstone and Aberdeen in the league does far more for our gate receipts than Rangers or either of the Edinburgh clubs.

you dont need rangers or celtic ? , scotlands rankings in europe would have been alot worse than they already are . Other scottish teams cant seem to get by the qualifying stages at all, everyone is having a laugh at celtic being reinstated to the champions league rather than breathing a sigh of relief that they might yet salvage some priceless ranking points to keep our ship from sinking.

you dont need rangers or celtic ? , scotlands rankings in europe would have been alot worse than they already are . Other scottish teams cant seem to get by the qualifying stages at all, everyone is having a laugh at celtic being reinstated to the champions league rather than breathing a sigh of relief that they might yet salvage some priceless ranking points to keep our ship from sinking.

Your team have never played in Europe, pipe down.

Archived