Is democracy important?

gazelle

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the way the board's Tories are on their fainting couches over the way that occasional snide remarks about dissolving the Scottish Parliament are sometimes taken seriously, when to a man they'd vote for that in a minute in favour of installing the likes of Michael Forsyth as Regent of the North and All Livestock Within.

Bollocks. As I have said, this is not a scare story. I don't think it would happen, but there is no doubt it COULD happen.

Unless you'd care to explain why political power needs to propel legal power?

The reason legal powers exist is to frame and to restrict the ordinary use of political power and to subject it to normative constraints.

The US Federal Government doesn't have the legal power to abolish Texas, but if its legislature tried to secede from the Union and began a civil war, you can be damned sure the President would have the army in to suppress them and that state-level powers would very quickly be arrogated by the federal government if the political conditions were such that a free state government could not lawfully constitute itself.

The reason legal powers exist is to frame and to restrict the ordinary use of political power and to subject it to normative constraints.

The US Federal Government doesn't have the legal power to abolish Texas, but if its legislature tried to secede from the Union and began a civil war, you can be damned sure the President would have the army in to suppress them and that state-level powers would very quickly be arrogated by the federal government if the political conditions were such that a free state government could not lawfully constitute itself.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

<_<

Archived