Programme's in the Juniors

Nugent4nil

Obviously we had the non league programme awards last year, which was an eye opener but the feedback was superb!

Anyway, does your club do a programme? Is it £1 or £1:50? Is it value?

Not to get back to a debate on the best and worse more I'm interested in what the buyers expect for there cash.

Ok some clubs I know do highly professional looking efforts that make little or no £'s for the club while others produce their own trying to get a few extra coffers in the club funds, both are totally fine obviously.

Anyway back to the question, you pay your money what do you expect? How many pages adverts v articles? What content? Do you expect a look back a look forward a news section league tables fixtures etc

Last season I was asked by two clubs to write a page for an away games programme to give an upto date version if how things were going, I thought that was a brilliant idea, is that something the editors should do to help each other out?

I have contributed and I do collect them I just wondered what people expect to see or whether it's just a reason to give the club a couple of quid and throw it in a drawer when you get home.

Anyway any feedback would be appreciated

Owen who does the excellent Cumonock programme asked me to do a wee piece as well & think that it's a good idea

Unfortunately we haven't done 1 in a while because of cost & fixture issues in a while but a couple pages of advertising a page about the other team & fill the rest with fan & player profiles , club news & a managers thoughts page & u won't be far off havin a good programme

I am looking for some info from the coach, former stars looking back on a certain period of the career, a present player, supporter profile, club news & in our case Social Club &anything else that is involved within the Enterprise.

Adverts are what actually pay for the costs of the programme, its a fine balance tho. Make the adverts different from game to game / month to month. Offer a wee promo here n there.

Ours is 28-32 pages normally for a quid – 12 static pages (the cover, club history and ads), four pages of match reports, four pages of editorial and stats, four pages of fixtures/tables and a rundown on the opposition, and finally either four or eight pages of one-off stuff, depending on how much news there is.

Ours has been b&w for a while, but is going colour once the league programme starts. It’s all well and good having high production values if you’ve either got a print shop as sponsor or can make economies of scale because you’re selling a couple of hundred, but the bottom line is if your team can’t make a profit out of it – or worse still isn’t even breaking even - there’s little point putting in the effort of producing one.

That is a very sad but true fact! It would be great if all clubs could produce one but as has been said its getting that someone to do the content, that will be criticised, plus print fold staple then sell!

It's a thankless task but IMO something that should be done if possible at all super league clubs, for below a pinned up team sheet would be very helpful too!

I was saying to somebody at the tail end of last season that the Juniors newspaper might have had a bit more of a chance for longevity if they’d produced something more akin to a traditional programme (A5 and maybe 28-36pp) which could have been used – maybe with a 4 page locally produced insert giving details of that day’s game – in lieu of a programme by all the teams who don’t do their own.

I think it's the MLS that do something similar - a generic programme that covers all the games that week with a teamsheet affair inside covering whatever particular game you're at.

We don't do a programme other than by exception but we are now about to launch Issue 8 of our monthly magazine. It comes out on the first Saturday of each month and costs £2. There are 24 pages in each issue - 28 if necessary. The only advert is on the back cover and it's a nod towards a local newsagent who happily stocks the magazine for us. Each issue will feature a look back at 1, 5, 10 and 50 years ago, a trip down memory lane which so far has been anywhere between 1902 and 1997, a player profile, a fan in the floodlight, an interview with a committee member, a summary round up of what's happening across the Juniors and terracing talk which is currently putting together a best Linlithgow Rose XI - albeit much weighted in favour of modern players. Quite a lot for £2 albeit nae use if you cannae stick the Rose!

We don't do a programme other than by exception but we are now about to launch Issue 8 of our monthly magazine. It comes out on the first Saturday of each month and costs £2. There are 24 pages in each issue - 28 if necessary. The only advert is on the back cover and it's a nod towards a local newsagent who happily stocks the magazine for us. Each issue will feature a look back at 1, 5, 10 and 50 years ago, a trip down memory lane which so far has been anywhere between 1902 and 1997, a player profile, a fan in the floodlight, an interview with a committee member, a summary round up of what's happening across the Juniors and terracing talk which is currently putting together a best Linlithgow Rose XI - albeit much weighted in favour of modern players. Quite a lot for £2 albeit nae use if you cannae stick the Rose!

Wouldn't that be great if that was a programme, might even be an award winner ;)

Aye but many would be dead! Hard enough getting it all pulled together once a month.

I was at your game v Bo'ness in May and got the last copy of the magazine out of the newsagents, nice woman who was helpful getting it out of the window. Thought it was quite good with plenty to read.

It would have been a good programme in its self. Next best thing to a programme doing the monthly magazine.

I was at your game v Bo'ness in May and got the last copy of the magazine out of the newsagents, nice woman who was helpful getting it out of the window. Thought it was quite good with plenty to read.

It would have been a good programme in its self. Next best thing to a programme doing the monthly magazine.

Cheers. The problem is that we cover quite a range of stuff and the research required to get the older stuff demands a fair bit of time because it's not online. We couldn't do what we do in terms of quantity of content and keep it to the standard we are trying to develop if doing it weekly. And frankly I don't know how some of these guys cope with the way the fixtures are run.

Cheers. The problem is that we cover quite a range of stuff and the research required to get the older stuff demands a fair bit of time because it's not online. We couldn't do what we do in terms of quantity of content and keep it to the standard we are trying to develop if doing it weekly. And frankly I don't know how some of these guys cope with the way the fixtures are run.

I can appreciate that having spent many a day in a library looking through old newspapers to write articles on Cowden. As you say given the way the fixtures are done in the juniors it would be a task putting a programme together sometimes at short notice.

Keep up the good work with your magazine anyway.

I can appreciate that having spent many a day in a library looking through old newspapers to write articles on Cowden. As you say given the way the fixtures are done in the juniors it would be a task putting a programme together sometimes at short notice.

Keep up the good work with your magazine anyway.

If you're really keen you can order it online (well through an email link on the magazine's website). :thumsup2

Archived