Exam results

Aye it's a hoaching subject. It was a good laugh though; my pals were in the class and I got on well with the teachers. I put no effort into Media or Accounts though, given I was forced by my school to sit two Highers as they couldn't offer AH Physics for me. Their argument for us having to sit at least 3 AH's/4 subjects was that we were required, by law, to be in school for 6 hours a week. 2 subjects alone would've guaranteed that :lol:

Didn't help that the two teachers we had for Media had never taught it before and, according to those re-sitting, were teaching it in a completely incorrect fashion. Had appeals still existed in their former guise then I'd have gotten a C at least, but since I got into uni I'm not in the least bit bothered about failing something I put no effort into.

Sounds pretty similar to me. Both me and my best mate took it because of the shite structure of columns when it came to choosing 6th year subjects. There were 6 or 7 of us at the same table for the year and it was a great laugh most of the time. The subject itself is absolutely appalling though.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Advanced History - B

Advanced English - Fail

Higher Photography - A

Higher Psychology - A

Higher Biology - D

No surprise that I failed English, all we did the entire year was drink tea and gossip with the teacher. Disappointed with Biology considering I actually sat it over 2 years and got a B in my prelim. Oh well!

Off to do an NHC in Social Science and then hopefully History & Politics at Uni next year.

Just read page 2 of this - there was a feeling at a recent markers meeting that a National 4 exam will eventually have to be made up, even if to combat the rising number of pupils who will have a study leave with nothing to actually sit.

Too many in my local area complained of fannying about doing projects and group work in S3 then running out of time to get the Nat 5 course finished. Colleagues of mine have raked it in through tutoring this year.

For my subject - Nat 5 exam was more challenging than Int.2 (which we switched to from SG ages ago and were able to stick with it for another year).

Too many in my local area complained of fannying about doing projects and group work in S3 then running out of time to get the Nat 5 course finished. Colleagues of mine have raked it in through tutoring this year.

Standard problem, Tight schedules should be set for the internal assessment crap so that the teaching of the course is accomplished with ease. Too many teachers/departments don't set or stick to schedules. Bloody unprofessional.

It doesn't help that the internal assessments are so wooly. You can say what you like about the old Nabs but they wet close enough to the standard of the exam to provide decent preparation for it, and actually were of a test format.

This "outcome" format doesn't work very well. One of the English assessments (can we even call them that) was impossible to pass unless you got question 6 correct as it was the only one which addressed a particlar outcome. It essentially meant you could get 99 out of 100 and fail, or about 20 out of 100 and pass. Of course, that's fine as they could just achieve that outcome in another assessment, because after all we're just sitting about looking for extra shit to do all year...

Standard problem, Tight schedules should be set for the internal assessment crap so that the teaching of the course is accomplished with ease. Too many teachers/departments don't set or stick to schedules. Bloody unprofessional.

I meant to say that it was the pupils in the local area who were complaining.

Nat 5 would be better as an 18 month course. S1 and S2 in my experience were just kids sitting about waiting for the real thing to begin. Now we've added another year onto that process. There's too much to do at Nat 5 to fit into 9 months. I'd like to see us start it at Xmas in S3

Had real concerns about the National 5 History this year - have found out from SQA that the average mark in the N5 History exam was 30.7 / 60 - a bare pass. This suggests to me that either the exam was too hard , too many kids were presented at N5 History who maybe shouldn't have been - but as someone said earlier if they pass the internal units you really need to let them have a go at the exam.

We also had some real anomalies where kids who had struggled all year passed the exam with flying colours whilst other students who I expected to do well seem to have bombed the exam

Not happy with the fact as well that at Higher level they raised the % for a pass to 54% - yet in some other Higher subjects it was lowered - this seems grossly unfair to me . Talking with one colleague today I was told that in her subject area an A1 grade at N5 required 92% !!!!! Bloomin heck !!!!

Bring back Standard Grades !!! :)

We also had some real anomalies where kids who had struggled all year passed the exam with flying colours whilst other students who I expected to do well seem to have bombed the exam

Hopefully without sounding too arrogant, could I (who has never touched History other than essential shared stuff in 1st year of high school ~12 years ago) not just memorise the answers in the numerous past paper books over a few weeks and get at least a pass to get a qualification?

Granted you won't have past papers for a brand new qualification but I can only imagine the topics covered are near the same to Higher / SG?

If so, it wouldn't surprise me if somebody who's at least listened to some bits over the course of a year could do better.

#leckieandleckierules

We started at easter in S3 which gave us enough time (just about) to get it all in.

This is in Dundee, and the powers that be basically knew about it and nodded quietly, without any great public judgment about what you were allowed or not allowed to do.

Archived