Exam results

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some teachers really worry me. If someone is willing to give a subject a go no one should tell them otherwise. Hats off to him for doing well

I was absolutely seething when I found out. If someone had said that to me it would've shattered my confidence and I reckon I'd have made a mess of the final exam. My Mum was in total disarray as well, she's an eternal pessimist anyway, but she refused to believe he had a chance of getting it. He was even told something like 'You only have a 32% chance of getting above a C based on your prelim score' (Where he got a C).

Maybe it was a clever plan because they knew it would only act to motivate him. Who knows. Either way I was delighted to see him getting it right up him.

17 minutes ago, Chimter-boys said:

Some teachers really worry me. If someone is willing to give a subject a go no one should tell them otherwise. Hats off to him for doing well

The flipside is the ones who are really struggling at N5 and are told to get their N4 and focus on getting their N5 in fifth year.  

Some choose to "give it a go", fail and then don't even have N4 on their certificate.

We advise, but would never stop anyone doing an exam.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Real issues in Business Management exams - results all over the shop - especially in the assignment - looks like one group of 10 got a real shit as a marker

Subject dux failed yet laddie with lowest mark passed - something clearly not right - dux got marked from the suspect marker. From what I've heard they were struggling for markers - even more markers than usual who had never taught the current courses.

On the bright side it's only business management

I thought markers had to have 3 years experience of teaching a level before they could mark it. Even at that - the online marking system is supposed to filter out poor marking and not let weak markers do too much damage.

They were still trying to recruit markers well after the exams had finished. I know of markers who failed the QA procedures but were still allowed to mark.

I don't know about other subjects but there were markers in Business who had never taught the new Higher courses - only the old Higher - hence the discrepancy between exam and assignment marking.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

They were still trying to recruit markers well after the exams had finished. I know of markers who failed the QA procedures but were still allowed to mark.

I don't know about other subjects but there were markers in Business who had never taught too the new Higher courses - only the old Higher.

I'd heard of failed markers who were allowed to mark anyway - I don't know why their allocation isn't just given to the stronger ones (especially those who got through at a decent pace).

The flipside is the ones who are really struggling at N5 and are told to get their N4 and focus on getting their N5 in fifth year.  
Some choose to "give it a go", fail and then don't even have N4 on their certificate.

You would no better mate but I was sure that anyone sitting any n5 course had to sit n4 as a fallback anyway?

In my 5th year of school I got 49% in my Higher History prelim. The general rule that was being applied was that if you got less than 50% you should do the Int2 exam instead. I pleaded with my teacher to let me do it as I was positive I could make up the marks and I had no interest in sitting the Int2 one at all. He agreed and I ended up getting a B in the final exam [emoji4] . It ended up being the only Higher I got.

Can't remember which subject but I was told not to sit it at an O-Grade because I had no chance. Insisted and got an A. Maybe they just manipulated my rebellious instincts, I was a horrible kid.

4 hours ago, Chimter-boys said:

You would no better mate but I was sure that anyone sitting any n5 course had to sit n4 as a fallback anyway?

There is no exam for N4 - the days of sitting two levels are long gone. You either sit N5 or you don't. If you drop/defer then you ensure that you have your N4 at least by going through the units and the internally assessed final Unit. There are also those who go through N4 first and then start N5, knowing you'll not finish it until 5th year.

4 hours ago, Jamaldo said:

In my 5th year of school I got 49% in my Higher History prelim. The general rule that was being applied was that if you got less than 50% you should do the Int2 exam instead. I pleaded with my teacher to let me do it as I was positive I could make up the marks and I had no interest in sitting the Int2 one at all. He agreed and I ended up getting a B in the final exam emoji4.png . It ended up being the only Higher I got.

That's a crap policy and seems designed to safeguard the league table position. We've allowed pupils in the high 30s to go on and sit (provided they show some signs of knuckling down a bit).

That's a crap policy and seems designed to safeguard the league table position. We've allowed pupils in the high 30s to go on and sit (provided they show some signs of knuckling down a bit).

This was nearly 10 years ago so might have changed. To be fair he was sound about it and I told him I'd happily take it again in 6th year if I failed.

I was pressured into taking higher maths over 2 years in 5th year, meaning I'd stay in the class but not sit the exam til 6th year. Very common in my league table obsessed former school.

I showed them though. Said no, Sat the exam in 5th year. Failed the fucker [emoji41]

The boy's been a proper nightmare for past 8 months. Got himself all worked into a lather since panicking while sitting his N5 prelims in January. And then an even bigger lather since he convinced himself he also had a major mind block and panic in the Maths exam in May.

Net Result: 3As, 4Bs. He's over the moon and I'm well chuffed for him.

Only 2 weeks to go and then we start the whole process all over again for the Highers. Joy....[emoji24]

Archived