Does anyone here believe we can't use the pound?

gazelle

If my flat was an independent nation then I could do whatever the f**k I wanted.

I think you've already turned your flat into an area where drugs are used liberally, are you really this stupid?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you've already turned your flat into an area where drugs are used liberally, are you really this stupid?

If it was an independent country I could do whatever I wanted. Heck, I could make murder legal if I was that way inclined.

If it was an independent country I could do whatever I wanted. Heck, I could make murder legal if I was that way inclined.

Ok, you really are that stupid.

Do you understand what an independent country is?

Do you understand what having a say in the running of your block is, it's like discussing things with a pea pod.

In the event .however unlikely, there not being a CU Scotland would continue to use the pound for a transitional period. The effect of there not being a CU would result in a significant hole in the UK balance of payments resulting in downgraded credit rating a hike in interest rates, job losses and essentially a heck of a lot of pissed off businesses angered by political posturing by WM then add in the threat of leaving the EU and you have a recipe for an economic clusterfuck. Meanwhile nations that have a currency backed, by say, oil and other major exports, should manage nicely through the resultant storm while our presently biggest trading partner sorts itself out post indy. Can you imagine the corporate sector allowing the tories to even consider not having a CU of leaving the EU?

" The_Kincardine

04 Aug 2014

git-intae-thum, on 04 Aug 2014 - 23:17, said:

Please explain how it is naive to believe that money will go to the Scottish treasury?

________

Very simple although The Ayes hate this. There is no Scottish treasury. Oil companies have no contract with the non-existent treasury. Most are not registered in Scotland.

It is yet another imponderable in Slim Eck's "Och don't worry about that" smoke and mirrors campaign."

Oh dear. Please explain that then.

The context of that is that it is another matter for negotiation. I never said, "Scotland is not going to receive any revenue from oil" as you claimed.

I said that it is yet another imponderable. I also mentioned in either that post or a related one that Scotland can't be guaranteed all of the corporation tax which the UK treasury currently receives, which is also true.

Now go back and quote me a post wherein I said, "Scotland is not going to receive any revenue from oil".

Naw but salmond sure did like to use darlings change of stance as a point repeatedley last night

Who battered on about currency?

Christ. How the hell is this moron allowed to be first minister of the devolved parliament?

I lament the day Alex Salmond is head of an actual independent country.

I lament the day you breed, #prayforthebairns.

Naw but salmond sure did like to use darlings change of stance as a point repeatedley last night

Surely Darling could have swatted away that dreadful approach by saying he also used to believe in the tooth fairy.

Where it is relevant for the referendum is that should the secessionists prevail by using this self-determination argument then how can they deny others the same right for the same reason. Say after independence Dumfries & Galloway get fed up with a government in Edinburgh that they didn't vote for, that they perceive is biased towards the central belt, that they believe doesn't speak for them. What will the response from Edinburgh be?

They are puncturing a small hole in a can of worms by using the self-determination argument.

Creating a hypothetical situation in Dumfries & Galloway and using it to argue against independence is taking it to a bizarre level. I think it's quite clear that the referendum is about Scotland as a complete unit.

So then you are in essence saying there is no need for a currency union and plan B should be equally acceptable to YES. In addition, the economies will be similar at the outset but may diverge over time.

A currency union would be preferable, at least in the short term. A small amount of influence over monetary policy would be better than none, and we shouldn't be discussing plan B until, with a very big if, it is ruled out. Plan B would be our own currency called, I don't know, the Pound? It would be pegged 1-1 to the rUK Pound indefinitely, or until a solid and prudent management of our economy proved ourselves to the financial markets and it was deemed more advantageous to float the Scottish pound, or conceivably join the Euro if it was in our interests.

Creating a hypothetical situation in Dumfries & Galloway and using it to argue against independence is taking it to a bizarre level. I think it's quite clear that the referendum is about Scotland as a complete unit.

Except that I'm not using it to argue against independence. I think I made it clear that I am arguing against using it as a reason for independence.

Plan B is probably to use the pound for a period of time with no CU while setting up our own currency

That would really depend on how strong the Scottish Pound became.

I see it becoming stronger than the UK pound, simply because without Scotland the rUK will be nowhere near as strong, for they will have even more financial difficulties than we will.

Archived