Bigger and smaller teams/followings

Hey, what about the East Fife-Arbroath love in?

There are only three clubs in this league who aren't appallingly diddy. East Fife, Arbroath and Clyde. The rest would shoot their load at the thought of more than one season in League 1. The 'big 3' are embarrassed to be here.

Let's be honest, even if those three teams are ten times bigger than the likes of us, Montrose and the other teams in this division, you're still nobodies. Ten times f**k all is still f**k all.

We're all posting in this forum exactly because none of us support a big club.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, what about the East Fife-Arbroath love in?

There are only three clubs in this league who aren't appallingly diddy. East Fife, Arbroath and Clyde. The rest would shoot their load at the thought of more than one season in League 1. The 'big 3' are embarrassed to be here.

One stand and a power station. Legends :lol:

I thought Fife had imminent plans to add another section of terracing to New Bayview, which would be a slight improvement?

Personally I think Arbroath are a fairly modest club, with much to be modest about, some would say. Small but perfectly formed. ,,, and of course the best ground in the leagues,

We can't claim anything like the historic heights of Clyde & East Fife or, going further back, Queens Park but we have had our moments.

Expectations here this season seem fairly low which is probably not that healthy. I'm more wary of the trapdoor down than the ladder up. 17 years ago since we finished bottom of the heap.

I thought Fife had imminent plans to add another section of terracing to New Bayview, which would be a slight improvement?

Personally I think Arbroath are a fairly modest club, with much to be modest about, some would say. Small but perfectly formed. ,,, and of course the best ground in the leagues,

We can't claim anything like the historic heights of Clyde & East Fife or, going further back, Queens Park but we have had our moments.

Expectations here this season seem fairly low which is probably not that healthy. I'm more wary of the trapdoor down than the ladder up. 17 years ago since we finished bottom of the heap.

For what it's worth, my favourite awayday :cheers Nice to have you back, even if you don't want to be here....

We should be aspiring to be doing what Cowden/Dumbarton and Alloa have been doing. Rather frustrating that they've went up at the expense of us even though we finished 2nd...

Montrose have a hard core of 250 or so fans. About half that number travel through to Gayfield for the derby, but other than that, our travelling support varies from anything between 1 (midweek in Annan twoards the end of the season) and about 40.

Historically the club was much better supported, 20 years ago I remember a crowd of 800 at home to Meadowbank Thistle (who had a close to non existant travelling support) being seen as a bit of a disaster. Back then, last week's cup tie would have attracted between 1500-2000; the attendance last weekend was just over 500.

Two decades of near unrelenting failure and something of a present disconnect between club and town accounts for our current low support.

How many seasons have BCFC played at the top level of Scottish football? Exactly, Arbroath FC, top club in Angus... even when the other 3 Angus teams are doing well, they are still poorly supported, small town/city taken into consideration... what has more value, 10 seasons or so in the highest division beat Celtic 2-0 and Glasgow Rangers 3-2 at Ibrox in the league or winning a Division B/C or whatever it was title... laughable BRECHIN4791.I think you ll find it s also been Div2 title twice and Div3 title plus runners up plus a Bells Cup final , ....I not disagreeing about our poor support there's no denying it... I would blame our committee for their attitude whilst out n about in town...They don t promote the team enough I feel..And yes I do enjoy it when Arbroath visit you create a good atmosphere , but I..ll also add your support turn against their team quicker than majority of other teams....

• 4 weeks later...

TBH any supporter of a lower league team does it because they love to follow their local team.

No glory hunters here then.

Scottish grass roots football needs all the money it can get and its the local supporters that provide it.

My respect goes to any supporter that follow their team to away games throughout the winter months and pay alot week in week out for the privilege.

Personal choice tho...what else would we do on a Saturday?

TBH any supporter of a lower league team does it because they love to follow their local team.

No glory hunters here then.

Scottish grass roots football needs all the money it can get and its the local supporters that provide it.

My respect goes to any supporter that follow their team to away games throughout the winter months and pay alot week in week out for the privilege.

Personal choice tho...what else would we do on a Saturday?

I wouldn't call lower league senior grass roots.....that title can go.to the coaches and officials who.are involved in developing the youth game. Following a club based on a shite league position is no different than basing it on a good one, particularly concerning the buddo it costs to watch the more successful clubs. If it hurtles any quicker towards a score to watch whats on offer, then i'll find something else to do other than watch my club happily plod along in the Diddy League much longer. There's got to be standards, putting your head in the sand to have your arse mercillesly pecked just so to feel important in a clubs survival/prolonged misery isnt something that anyone shouod be proud of.

Youth development is only a part of the picture at any club. You could argue grass roots football starts at School level and some of the coaches being sponsored by full time clubs which doesn't happen often enough.

It would be great if there was enough money in the game to support this but there isn't, well not to any extent.

Ivo, above, talks about a core of 250 fans. Not enough money generated in the game at this level, dwindling crowds no fancy TV deals hardly enough money to produce a program.

Aye diddy clubs and hard times right enough!

It might be a while before your diddy club reaches the upper echelons. No disrespect intended...

Therein lies a problem bigger than there being somewhere for those 200-250 village buffoons to go. Learn from a 'diddy club' who, eventually, took the biggest hit the Scottish games ever seen and cut the cloth accordingly. Focus on where the clubs can succeed...be it feeder clubs within a semi professional regional skeleton...eg the Angus clubs, with a combined number of around 14 years between the four of them in the top.division, being feeders for The New Firm and Dundee. To put in context for you, we could quite easily be on a competitive par with Thistle and Accies within three years. It was taken from us far quicker than that, but you'll never ever ever EVER compete with even St.Johnstone or either Highland club never mind the three other far bigger ones in your wettest wildest dreams. Diddy club we are, mate :P

Take a good long look at the history of your club. It's littered with a succession of boardroom collapses, but your not alone others have been in the same boat. So don't wallow in self pity and whats with 'the biggest hit the Scottish games ever seen' .... you lot were bailed out! and every team is cutting the cloth... its just a case of, who makes the best job of it.

Take a good long look at the history of your club. It's littered with a succession of boardroom collapses, but your not alone others have been in the same boat. So don't wallow in self pity and whats with 'the biggest hit the Scottish games ever seen' .... you lot were bailed out! and every team is cutting the cloth... its just a case of, who makes the best job of it.

We do appear to be the only club ever held accountable for our debts, despite half a dozen collapsing, three on numerous occasions and two allegedly surviving clubs already resurrected free of responsibility. Biggest hit in terms of cost on and off the pitch, and what has become of it......no one else was ever forced into such uumiliations as we were. Admittedly by our own fucking board. I'd rather have done the Sevco/Livingston/Accies route and been just thrown into the Third than suffer like we did, however. There is no hero to the story, but if you'd like to digress over the 'bailout', the floor is yours chump.

Therein lies a problem bigger than there being somewhere for those 200-250 village buffoons to go. Learn from a 'diddy club' who, eventually, took the biggest hit the Scottish games ever seen and cut the cloth accordingly. Focus on where the clubs can succeed...be it feeder clubs within a semi professional regional skeleton...eg the Angus clubs, with a combined number of around 14 years between the four of them in the top.division, being feeders for The New Firm and Dundee. To put in context for you, we could quite easily be on a competitive par with Thistle and Accies within three years. It was taken from us far quicker than that, but you'll never ever ever EVER compete with even St.Johnstone or either Highland club never mind the three other far bigger ones in your wettest wildest dreams. Diddy club we are, mate :P

In 2001-2002 season we relegated Falkirk (if they hadn't got a reprive from Airdrie going into administration), finished above St Mirren, finished level on points with Inverness and only four points behind Ross County ;) Infact, that season we beat every team in the division at least once apart from Raith, who finished bottom. I'd say that was competing :)

Wow. All that in the one season??? Amazing. How'd the following season go??? While you are busy swatting up, check who the last club to hold the longest stay in the old First Div were. And only twice finished out the top five. Once you've cleaned up your keyboard, obviously. Tbh, we stopped counting how many wins we racked up against the mobs you mention when we had them on our mantlepiece. We even pilfered Barry Sellars from you....he lasted about six games. Must've been great for him.

Archived