The Great British Bake Off

The Naitch

Guest Moomintroll

I don't know how it does it, but this programme gets me hooked every year. Well deserved winner but Steph really did blow it after doing so well.

Based on the final David has deserved it, he kept it together the best and put performed the others by a mile. I stand by the comments earlier that it's not been great quality. The technical throughout the whole series have been pretty shit.

Steph has had a proper meltdown in the final! 

An absolute Devon Loch from Steph.

Fair play to David, he never really annoyed me throughout and although I thought he'd be 3rd favourite he did well in the final.

Definitely agree that the overall quality was poor this year
Best thing about this thread is I've found out the Devon Loch story. Thank you [emoji106]

10 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Steph came across as a bit of self obsessed twat in the last few weeks.

Glad big Dave won.

Really? I thought Steph came across as someone with severe self-confidence issues that, ultimately, cost her the win and David came across as a bit of an arrogant twat.

Fair play to him, though, he clearly handled the pressure of the final better than the other two. It was painful viewing at times, watching Steph crumble and Alice look like she was about to burst into tears until her parents arrived.

No worries mate! Well before my time but I've always liked that

I had to google it, I assumed it was rhyming slang for something. Don’t think it quite works for Steph as it wasn’t an accumulative pointing system throughout the show so she was never really ahead at any point despite her being the best baker.

I think she has OCD at very least and may be slightly on the spectrum, watching her die more and more inside as Paul was critical of her showstopper after her disastrous technical was one of the saddest thing I’ve seen on tv for some time.

Fair play to David who has never seemed to panic throughout the show and has been consistently very good. Will watch again.

Glad big Dave won.
I thought she came across as a bit of a petulant child over the last couple of weeks, especially when she was struggling in the technical challenges it was proper petted lip and tantrum stuff.

Watching now, thought Steph was a bit petulant child most way through tbh. Agree standard not at high as has been in past but we don’t know standard they were against in auditions.

What was the childhood trauma thing?

11 hours ago, spud131 said:
22 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Glad big Dave won.

I thought she came across as a bit of a petulant child over the last couple of weeks, especially when she was struggling in the technical challenges it was proper petted lip and tantrum stuff.

That was my impression of steph. As soon as things never went her way, even only slightly the petted lip and tears were out. 

5 minutes ago, Albertlegend said:

That was my impression of steph. As soon as things never went her way, even only slightly the petted lip and tears were out. 

Any grown adult that talks about faries needs a kicking.

I think Steph has crippling self confidence issues and it was genuinely hard to watch her being upset when things went tits up. 
David's a fucking cyborg. Absolutely zero emotion from him in the whole show. 
Maybe she does have self-confidence issues but it's a baking contest. Surely you just shrug your shoulders and go "ah f**k, my cake is burnt to f**k again" - rather than making a big deal about it.

I'm not knocking people getting right into it - I'd be competitive as f**k. But when things go wrong it's ultimately cake.

It's not a life changing win or lose prize either. You can get a decent career in baking without winning it or win it and never bake again.

Watching now, thought Steph was a bit petulant child most way through tbh. Agree standard not at high as has been in past but we don’t know standard they were against in auditions.
What was the childhood trauma thing?

I don’t think she was petulant , she only got frustrated at herself and when things went wrong she shook with panic as she was clearly very upset about it. If you do that in a final you aren’t going to win tbf so David was a worthy winner for keeping his cool but Steph was the better baker throughout the show.

Not sure about all childhood trauma, she spoke of how she fell over a hurdle and then her mum said she had had a miserable year or so and was at home a lot.