Relegation

dal45

Is that for footballing or licensing reasons ?

No further details were provided. It has been mooted elsewhere that there will be a play-off between the winner of the EoS & SoS to determine who will go up.

That said, would either of last year's winners (LTHV & Wigtown & Bladnoch) met the criteria for promotion?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither club are licensed so no they wouldn't have been able to go up anyway if the criteria was as it will be next summer. Of course there's nothing to say that'll be the same 12 months on. You would imagine Wigtown at least must be looking at licensing as they're SFA members.

I can't see it meaning much this season given the lack of licensed clubs and the fact their are still 2 places available.

It does leave questions to be asked tho. This should have been far more open process.

We in theory have 3 regions with 3 different levels of pyramid. 5 tiers in the north, 6 in the south west and 7 in the east. That isn't right and should be addressed.

Tiers 6(and 7) should have open application rather than using existing leagues, ok so they might of ended up the same but an application process should have occurred.

Also reserve teams shouldn't be part of the pyramid at all IMO.

Finally the new tiers should have a licensing system of some sort, maybe not entry but something. this standard would be the same for all clubs in the appropriate tier. A club should meet the same standards no matter what region of the country they are in.

No further details were provided. It has been mooted elsewhere that there will be a play-off between the winner of the EoS & SoS to determine who will go up.

That said, would either of last year's winners (LTHV & Wigtown & Bladnoch) met the criteria for promotion?

Not sticking up for the LL here as they could have put something on the website. But the decision was made quite recently and announced to the LL clubs a week past Monday. All 3 leagues had to negotiate with each other and put it to a vote at their respective meetings.

It's definitely a playoff followed by automatic promotion (assuming licence is in place). This means the EOS/SOS club gets a better deal than the LL champions who have to win two playoffs.

Struggling to see how there can be promotion and relegation when there are still two places to fill in the LL. Does this mean teams in the EoS and SoS leagues are prevented from applying for the remaining places?

Struggling to see how there can be promotion and relegation when there are still two places to fill in the LL. Does this mean teams in the EoS and SoS leagues are prevented from applying for the remaining places?

No, they will invite clubs to apply as before.

I wonder if people aren't looking for complications where there aren't any?

I make only one assumption in what follows and it's that the filling of vacancies will occur after the season has ended. (And that seems logical as otherwise how would it be known whether there were 1, 2 or 3 vacancies to fill).

If the system is as described then the EOS or SOS champions are able to play their way in, guaranteed, at the expense of whoever finishes bottom. Which also avoids meaningless games at the foot of the LL. Meanwhile any club could go for the last LL vacancy/ies before it gets upto full complement. AFAICS the only area of uncertainty would be whether or not the relegated club could apply for the vacancy/ies.

I'm sure I read that the SFA will have a special licence committee in april or may to get the remaining teams through licencing if they meet criteria. VoL most obvious team struggling at the moment as well known financial problems and whole new toilet block still to be built from scratch.

Can Juniors in the East Region, like Tayport and St Andrews Utd, apply?

Very good question and one scenario that hasn't cropped up yet. In theory anybody can apply but whether they would be accepted because of reasons of geography is another matter.

The Tay boundary has been mentioned but I don't think there is anything official about the boundary between the Highland and Lowland leagues.

However any team that applies now must be licenced.

Can Juniors in the East Region, like Tayport and St Andrews Utd, apply?

Depends what you mean apply. For a licence? For the EoS league? For the LL league?

For a licence any club can apply and will he granted one if they meet the criteria, for the EoS I can't see anything stopping them. For the LL well it depends, for clubs bellow "the Tay" they can happily apply for the (at least) one remaining space, for clubs above the Tay it will prove more difficult, in theory they should be in /apply for the HL. But i think there is potential for clubs to campaign for the boundary to be moved further north.

Very good question and one scenario that hasn't cropped up yet. In theory anybody can apply but whether they would be accepted because of reasons of geography is another matter.

The Tay boundary has been mentioned but I don't think there is anything official about the boundary between the Highland and Lowland leagues.

However any team that applies now must be licenced.

I believe there has been an official line, the HL have come out and given An exact latitude where the boundary lies(it's roughly the tay but obviously being a straight line not exactly).

On the HL website, there is an article explaining how the pyramid works (in their part of the world - where they currently comprise the bottom level). It gives the exact line of latitude which has been arranged to define what is Highland and what Lowland. In practice it appears to be the River Tay bar a few places around Perth (e.g. Scone) which lie above the Tay but which are also below the line of latitude and therefore Lowland.

Tayport, St Andrews... Lowland.

On the HL website, there is an article explaining how the pyramid works (in their part of the world - where they currently comprise the bottom level). It gives the exact line of latitude which has been arranged to define what is Highland and what Lowland. In practice it appears to be the River Tay bar a few places around Perth (e.g. Scone) which lie above the Tay but which are also below the line of latitude and therefore Lowland.

Tayport, St Andrews... Lowland.

If there was an overspill of clubs in the LL, would there be clubs moving from the LL to HL, if they are on the boundary

Archived