Queens v Alloa

I should have put money on someone mentioning Russell :rolleyes:

Players who arent as good. I thought that was pretty obvious.

Yes, that part was pretty obvious, not to mention vague, hence my question of which players should be playing for Alloa. i.e. who should Alloa be looking to recruit to replace them.

Surely if Alloa are looking to progress as a club (on the park) they should not only be trying to retain their better players, but try and obtain players who will improve the team, not find players who will simply preserve the stereotypical status quo view of the club from a different clubs supporter.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that part was pretty obvious, not to mention vague, hence my question of which players should be playing for Alloa. i.e. who should Alloa be looking to recruit to replace them.

Surely if Alloa are looking to progress as a club (on the park) they should not only be trying to retain their better players, but try and obtain players who will improve the team, not find players who will simply preserve the stereotypical status quo view of the club from a different clubs supporter.

Im not really sure how you've taken what I said as a criticism of Alloa. I never once suggested they should be replaced, simply that they are better than the rest of the team, by some margin and that this has been the case for at least a couple of seasons.

If we were having this conversation last season I would have included Bain in that list.

Im not really sure how you've taken what I said as a criticism of Alloa. I never once suggested they should be replaced, simply that they are better than the rest of the team, by some margin and that this has been the case for at least a couple of seasons.

If we were having this conversation last season I would have included Bain in that list.

Haven't taken it as a criticism, was genuinely interested in some names. Perhaps if this was an audio conversation rather than a visual one it would seem like less of a spat. If you re-read my posts, I'm not having a go at you. Even the Russell comment was in jest.

I presume you maybe mean that Gibson is more 'Alloa' level and Bain is not, which has actually happened anyway.

Its a pity that a loose clearance didn't knock the Bitter Together sign into next week

Indy forum for that p1sh... <_<

Back on Planet Fitba: not exactly the rip-roaring league start of 12 months ago, but I'll take the points anyday.

Alloa edged it in terms of territory and possession in the first half, but Clark generally only had routine stops to make. First Queens goal was a howler of hilarious proportions, whilst Reilly's strike was a top-drawer effort to cap a fine counter attack. Queens took the collective foot off the gas in the second and cruised for most of it - not exactly spectacular, but altogether professional.

There'll be tougher days ahead, but that was a sound start.

Haven't taken it as a criticism, was genuinely interested in some names. Perhaps if this was an audio conversation rather than a visual one it would seem like less of a spat. If you re-read my posts, I'm not having a go at you. Even the Russell comment was in jest.

I presume you maybe mean that Gibson is more 'Alloa' level and Bain is not, which has actually happened anyway.

The comment was more about the quality of Gordon and Cawley rather than the Alloa team, so I didnt have replacements in mind.

No, what I meant was that Bain was capable of playing for a better side than Alloa.

Funny old game in some respects Saint.

2-0 flattered us hugely at half time. We spent the long spell between the goals on the back foot. The first obviously owed everything to sloppy defending, but it was still a smart finish from Lyle. He was sort of on the ground and went for a kind of overheard kick type finish, when I was wanting him to bring it down and take his time. He made a good job of it though.

Our second came from a 3v2 break. I actually thought the passing lacked slickness and I wondered if Reilly had strayed offside before I thought the chance was fizzling out anyway. He got a cracking shot away though.

We were well on top for much of the second half and squandered chances to finish things. I'd have liked the goal at the end to stand though. Was it Baird's touch? It would have been nice to see him off the mark and would have enabled me to start this year's top of the League thread.

It's all good though.

Funny old game in some respects Saint.

2-0 flattered us hugely at half time. We spent the long spell between the goals on the back foot. The first obviously owed everything to sloppy defending, but it was still a smart finish from Lyle. He was sort of on the ground and went for a kind of overheard kick type finish, when I was wanting him to bring it down and take his time. He made a good job of it though.

Our second came from a 3v2 break. I actually thought the passing lacked slickness and I wondered if Reilly had strayed offside before I thought the chance was fizzling out anyway. He got a cracking shot away though.

We were well on top for much of the second half and squandered chances to finish things. I'd have liked the goal at the end to stand though. Was it Baird's touch? It would have been nice to see him off the mark and would have enabled me to start this year's top of the League thread.

It's all good though.

I thought the chance had gone three times in the 3v2 break for the second. I thought the ball to Russell was going to delay him too much. I thought his pass to Reilly was going to play him into a tackle and then Reillys touch looked like he was going to lose it. Then he unleashed it into the top corner :thumsup2

Fairly comfortable win in the end. Alloa had their chances and Clark made a few good saves, but Queens were never under any sustained pressure. Arguably, it was Queens who created the better chances and, obviously, were the more clinical.

Cant say a lot has changed for Alloa........ Gordon and Cawley are still far too good to be playing for them.

Gordon and Cawley have been terrific players for Alloa the last three seasons, but no more so than several other players. Cawley could play a bit higher in my opinion, but Ben is at his correct level.

I forgot to mention that, as Mr X says , Simmons is still very shit and I couldn't resist that because he is for the two thousandth time.

You should give Messrs Hartley and Smith a buzz and let them have the benefit of your incisive football brain as they clearly haven't realised this, as both have made Simmons an ever-present in their Alloa teams.

Gordon and Cawley have been terrific players for Alloa the last three seasons, but no more so than several other players. Cawley could play a bit higher in my opinion, but Ben is at his correct level.

Gordon could play for any Championship level team if he wanted to go full time.

You should give Messrs Hartley and Smith a buzz and let them have the benefit of your incisive football brain as they clearly haven't realised this, as both have made Simmons an ever-present in their Alloa teams.

Have you got their numbers?

Couldn't make the game today and the scoreline doesn't suggest the best start but the fact Queens fans and Alloa fans have said we played well in the first half is a little bit of a bonus, Always had slight concerns about the defence and the fact we lost Bain in the summer was a blow would maybe like to see us bring a few more faces in before the end of the window to strengthen at the back but onto the next one now.

One of our players is shit, one is a thug and another is a diving cheat. No criticism at all there. I really hope that we are we not going to have another season of some QoS fans saying Simmons is shit whenever we meet. Tiresome in the extreme.

As for the other point, Cawley and Gordon (and Meggat and McCord) are among the very best part-time players in Scotland. They play for one of the best part-time teams in Scotland. Simple enough I would have thought.

Seems we really should have been ahead rather than behind at half time today but gifting goals and not taking chances is not going to win matches. Just have to hope that we can build on the positive aspects of the performance and sort out the negatives.

Enjoyed the good start to the campaign. Thanks to Lyle's quick thinking and good finish of an awkward dropping ball, we had a much more open encounter than some of the stodgefests of recent years.

Alloa were unlucky on a couple of occasions. McCord found himself in space 6 yards out and took a terrific first touch to put the ball on his right foot but then sclaffed it just wide. Stonking header hit the bar at a set piece but it was all flagged offside anyway. Our counter-attack was terrific with a magic top left finish from Gav. First half was more entertaining than I had expected.

Second half didn't live up to the hype but we should have extended our lead IMO. Thought at the finish that 4-2 would have been a fair result.

For us I thought wee Danny and Del were the pick. Hadn't seen Baird before. He looked lively. Onwards and upwards!

Have you got their numbers?

Don't agree about Ben. He struggles against pace e.g. Hemmings, Chris Kane. Great leader though.

I wouldn't give you them if I did. They'd never forgive me. :P

One of our players is shit, one is a thug and another is a diving cheat. No criticism at all there. I really hope that we are we not going to have another season of some QoS fans saying Simmons is shit whenever we meet. Tiresome in the extreme.

As for the other point, Cawley and Gordon (and Meggat and McCord) are among the very best part-time players in Scotland. They play for one of the best part-time teams in Scotland. Simple enough I would have thought.

Seems we really should have been ahead rather than behind at half time today but gifting goals and not taking chances is not going to win matches. Just have to hope that we can build on the positive aspects of the performance and sort out the negatives.

Agree with both of these statements. To be fair to our fans the particular annoyance re Simmons stems more from Gus McPherson telling us he was SPL quality and we were lucky to have him. We have had many poorer players though few who have generated such a constant dislike.

As far as I know Gordon has a high paying job and would actually lose money on going full time.

As for the game to begin with Alloa were the much better team then a massive blunder from Michael Doyle was capitalised on by Queens for their first goal. Even after that one goal Alloa still seemed to be I'm control for the rest of the first half apart from a stunning goal from a Queens counter attack. Going in at 2-0 probably really flattered Queens as it was no true reflection of the game.

When the teams came out for the second half Alloa just seemed to have given up Queens began to take control and were unlucky not to improve on there lead. Russel didn't cause much trouble to us for a change and instead just dived about.

PS: Dallas is still a w**k

One of our players is shit, one is a thug and another is a diving cheat.

Anyone who labels McCord as a thug and Holmes, of all people, as a diver is either thick as shite or on the wind up.

Or possibly both.

That wasnt a criticism, merely an observation. Besides, it wasnt the part of my post that was being discussed

It might be tiresome if it wasnt so obviously true. Every game Alloa fans go to great pains to point out what an important player Simmons has been and how hes been a regular first team choice. And every game, against Queens, he is awful. Sorry you find it tiresome but its hardly our fault ;)

Absolutely true. However, part time football is a lower level to full time. Both are more than capable of playing for full time clubs, if they wanted to. I understand Gordon has a good job. What about Cawley? Has he had FT offers?

Archived