Internet Speed

Romeo

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on 50Mb at home with Virgin but just got back from Australia, best I got out there on wi-fi (on my phone) was .86Mb. They haven't got fibre anywhere yet, apparently.

The fibre network at home was installed 20 years ago so it's been pretty much future proof so far - I can get up to 150Mb if I want to pay more.

I'm on 50Mb at home with Virgin but just got back from Australia, best I got out there on wi-fi (on my phone) was .86Mb. They haven't got fibre anywhere yet, apparently.

The fibre network at home was installed 20 years ago so it's been pretty much future proof so far - I can get up to 150Mb if I want to pay more.

<cough> bollocks <cough>

I did say apparently but I'll take your word for it - was going by what the locals told me in Sydney (Wetherill Park), Cairns & Townsville. Wasn't too surprised at the latter two but Sydney not having it shocked me.

It does exist, it's just not that common/widespread. They are upgrading the network and the NBN is trying to install a national network but they are still years behind most countries.

Just checking the availability and most of Cairns and Townsville have access to the NBN (ie fibre) so I've no idea what those locals were talking about.

Just paid to get fibre, thinking they'd connect it to the house, or at least the nearest junction box. Turns out they won't be doing that for 5 years or more, so it's 500 yds of copper to the nearest hub before the fibre network kicks in. I'm getting between 8 and 20 mb/s. Bit shit really. They say it will take a few days for it to settle down though, so hopefully it will improve.

3740700144.png

Done on a laptop with about 3/4 wifi reception.

My local exchange has fibre but the cabinet on the end of my street hasn't been upgraded, it seems.

You wont see much difference until the cabinet is upgraded and you switch to fibre.

Just paid to get fibre, thinking they'd connect it to the house, or at least the nearest junction box. Turns out they won't be doing that for 5 years or more, so it's 500 yds of copper to the nearest hub before the fibre network kicks in. I'm getting between 8 and 20 mb/s. Bit shit really. They say it will take a few days for it to settle down though, so hopefully it will improve.

You shouldnt be paying for fibre, in that case, not in my opinion anyway. "Fibre broadband" is FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet), which you clearly arent getting

5 years sounds like a long time for the upgrade. Have you tried checking the dates online?

Isn't FTTC always several hundred yards of copper until you hit the fibre (unless you are lucky enough to have the house next to the end of the road)? I thought that's what it was all about.

Yes, thats exactly what it is. I took welshbairns post to mean that his nearest cabinet hadnt been connected to fibre yet.

Unless by "hub" he actually means cabinet. In which case, I retract what I said!

Yes, thats exactly what it is. I took welshbairns post to mean that his nearest cabinet hadnt been connected to fibre yet.

Unless by "hub" he actually means cabinet. In which case, I retract what I said!

Got the terminology wrong. The cabinet is at the other end of the road, round the corner and and a fair bit down that road. Outside my house there's a BT road plate on the pavement, looks like it's shared by a few houses, don't know how many. I was hoping the fibre would extend to there. However I've just found out how much better chromecast works when you set it up with a phone rather than a laptop, and I'm watching a crystal clear stream on BBC Iplayer, And it doesn't cut out when the phone rings, so I'm happy.. :thumsup2

Got the terminology wrong. The cabinet is at the other end of the road, round the corner and and a fair bit down that road. Outside my house there's a BT road plate on the pavement, looks like it's shared by a few houses, don't know how many. I was hoping the fibre would extend to there. However I've just found out how much better chromecast works when you set it up with a phone rather than a laptop, and I'm watching a crystal clear stream on BBC Iplayer, And it doesn't cut out when the phone rings, so I'm happy.. :thumsup2

So you are getting FTTC then.

That speed seems a little slow. Who are you with and what package?

I am connected to a 4.4MB line but stuck at just over 1MB constant. I phoned SKY for my mac code and went through the usual pish why I'm unhappy, during the conversation the daft idiot let go that SKY have switched off their fibre optic for my area ????

After explaining to him many times my router is connected to a BT exchange giving me 4.4MB and that SKY have capped me at just over 1MB he then went onto say I should be getting a download speed of 4.4MB. I then pointed out that the fibre optic switch has been switched off for my area and then he asked me "who told you that nonsense" FFS. :blink: How clueless are these robbers ?

Archived