Internet Speed

Romeo

3689308969.png

f**k me! Switched over to Sky from BT yesterday to take up their 2 year free Broadband unlimited offer and this is the shite I'm getting. I was averaging about 6 or 7 mb/s download speeds on BT. I'll be switching back again if they can't offer me better than this garbage.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3689308969.png

f**k me! Switched over to Sky from BT yesterday to take up their 2 year free Broadband unlimited offer and this is the shite I'm getting. I was averaging about 6 or 7 mb/s download speeds on BT. I'll be switching back again if they can't offer me better than this garbage.

Broadband takes a few days, at least, to settle to the fastest stable speed. Keep doing regular speed checks over the next week. Then complain like hell if it doesnt improve!

Broadband takes a few days, at least, to settle to the fastest stable speed. Keep doing regular speed checks over the next week. Then complain like hell if it doesnt improve!

I'm just off the phone to a Sky advisor who ran a few tests. Now getting about 3.5mb/s but according to him it should be about 8 to 10 for my line so he's made a booking for an engineer to visit tomorrow.

Getting fibre installed. Chose the cheaper option, up to 38 MB rather than 76 MB. Will I regret this if it's just for watching TV and Films etc, no online gaming and the like? If I wanted to change up later would they have to fit a new cable or just flick a switch?

Getting fibre installed. Chose the cheaper option, up to 38 MB rather than 76 MB. Will I regret this if it's just for watching TV and Films etc, no online gaming and the like? If I wanted to change up later would they have to fit a new cable or just flick a switch?

No, should be fine. Should be just a "flick of a switch" to upgrade

3689308969.png

3691634269.png

Big improvement on yesterday's result. The Sky engineer fitted a new master socket today. Sky advisor said it should go up to about 10-12mb/s after a few days.

This is the best speed I've achieved since TalkTalk received the switchover notice from Plusnet:

3666403698.png

Upload speed is normally at 0.06Mb/s.

For those who're interested, we've been switched over to Plusnet for over a week, and this is today's speed test (easily the worst so far, BTW):

3693899827.png

We had a bad day with noise on the line last weekend, so I told Plusnet and the problem seems to be fixed. After a full year trying to get TalkTalk to do the same thing.

Quite liking Plusnet so far, TBH.

For those who're interested, we've been switched over to Plusnet for over a week, and this is today's speed test (easily the worst so far, BTW):

3693899827.png

We had a bad day with noise on the line last weekend, so I told Plusnet and the problem seems to be fixed. After a full year trying to get TalkTalk to do the same thing.

Quite liking Plusnet so far, TBH.

So youve moved from normal TT ADSL to Plusnet Fibre. Not really comparing like for like

So youve moved from normal TT ADSL to Plusnet Fibre. Not really comparing like for like

The point was that I was getting 16Mb/1Mb with TalkTalk until about a year ago, when our line noise kicked in and it went through the floor (when it worked at all). My experiences with their support team were utterly horrific; too numerous to mention here. Our line speed dropped to around that shown in the first test when they got wind that we were switching, which could be a coincidence.

Switched to Plusnet, and they seemed to have had our line problem fixed within days. The point wasn't an increase in line speed, but that we're getting broadly what we should be, with no noise on the line (so our phone is usable again).

Not trying to be a shill for Plusnet; I heard plenty of bad things about them a few years ago. I'm more happy to be away from TalkTalk than to be with any particular ISP.

The point was that I was getting 16Mb/1Mb with TalkTalk until about a year ago, when our line noise kicked in and it went through the floor (when it worked at all). My experiences with their support team were utterly horrific; too numerous to mention here. Our line speed dropped to around that shown in the first test when they got wind that we were switching, which could be a coincidence.

Switched to Plusnet, and they seemed to have had our line problem fixed within days. The point wasn't an increase in line speed, but that we're getting broadly what we should be, with no noise on the line (so our phone is usable again).

Not trying to be a shill for Plusnet; I heard plenty of bad things about them a few years ago. I'm more happy to be away from TalkTalk than to be with any particular ISP.

But its highly unlikely Plusnet have done anything to fix the line noise. As I said, you've obviously moved from adls to fibre broadband which means the line from the exchange to the cabinet is now fibre instead of copper. The line noise issue must have been on that part of the line, which has now gone.

Im not trying to defend Talktalk or put Plusnet down. Simply pointing out that the move from adsl to fibre is whats fixed your issues. Moving to any fibre package with any ISP - even Talktalk - would have had the same effect

I pay for Infinity 2 through BT and currently get 1.87Mbs. Some kind of fault, and it's getting fixed apparently. Although it's been like this for a couple of weeks.

The BT Engineer came round today, tested everything, reset the line, and now I am back to normal speeds of 72Mb. I can now play my PS4 again online without getting absolutely massacred by people that haven't even appeared yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I had been a "Be Unlimited" customer for years and got the most speed I could get and topped around the 3.7mb most times until SKY took over.

For those SKY users there is something you should know, SKY have their own dedicated servers which at most times are always well over subscribed driving the average download speed very substantially giving you shitty download and upload speeds.

I have gone from 3.7mb average to 1.6mb :angry: , my router shows average of over 3mb connection but I do not get that until I keep phoning SKY for my mac code and then it suddenly ramps up until the mac code is invalid and then drops back down to 1. fucking 6mb. My signal is connected to the BT network and then goes to SKY's own servers and then onto the internet and back drastically reducing my internet speed.

Another thing SKY peddle is DLM "dynamic line management" that suddenly also reduces your upload and download speed but they claim it is to stabilise the line which in my opinion is a con to reduce your internet speed so they can again over subscribe.

SKY are shit internet providers and I will be leaving as soon as the amount left on my contract is nearly up to go to BT who will give me back just less than 4mb most times.

Most internet providers are now installing their own servers for one purpose alone, to oversubscribe and reduce the amount of traffic they have to pay for increasing their profits whilst robbing the general public at large.

For those with mental internet speeds over 60mb !, I am so fecking jealous man. :lol:

Archived