Internet Speed

Romeo

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the past year I have gone from a paltry 3.6Mbs to a staggering 70Mbs just by moving across the road?

Might not be as fast as some other folk on here, but going from watching paint dry download speeds to seeing GB's of data downloading in minutes has been one of the happiest moments of last year. Instead of waiting a couple of hours for a HD file to download I now just go to the loo and then make a cuppa to then sitting down and then hitting the play button, happy days. :)

7 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

Over the past year I have gone from a paltry 3.6Mbs to a staggering 70Mbs just by moving across the road?

Might not be as fast as some other folk on here, but going from watching paint dry download speeds to seeing GB's of data downloading in minutes has been one of the happiest moments of last year. Instead of waiting a couple of hours for a HD file to download I now just go to the loo and then make a cuppa to then sitting down and then hitting the play button, happy days. :)

and a few minutes after hitting play your back to the loo again ;)

8 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

and a few minutes after hitting play your back to the loo again ;)

With the amount of pish and shite they call a movie these days I should just get a commode and let the movie bore the crap out of me. :huh:

On 25/03/2017 at 11:36, bunglebonce said:

It seems fine in off-peak times so far, so I'm thinking it might just be getting what I pay for re: provider capacity.

It's settled down now to 5Mb+ at peak times and 1Mb+ upload.  I'm happy with that.  £29 per month saving from BT can't be sniffed at.  I'll happily pay more for FTTC when it comes though.

It's settled down now to 5Mb+ at peak times and 1Mb+ upload.  I'm happy with that.  £29 per month saving from BT can't be sniffed at.  I'll happily pay more for FTTC when it comes though.

How much were you paying for broadband like?! It's only £24.49 with BT for unlimited broadband just now.

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

How much were you paying for broadband like?! It's only £24.49 with BT for unlimited broadband just now.

Then it goes to £40.99 after 12 months, with price creeping over subsequent years.  My monthly bill was £48 with unlimited calls, which is superfluous when mobile contracts come with similar allowances. I stuck with them for BT Sport and reliability.

On 25/03/2017 at 11:35, The OP said:

Just got hyperoptic to replace standard Sky broadband. Decided against shelling out for the 1GB/s service however as it seems like more than I'd need, so just got the 100mb/s. Superb so far, and cheaper than I was paying Sky. 

Unfortunately as far as Scotland goes it seems like you can hardly get it anywhere aside from my bit :smugface

They are looking to come to my neck of the woods in Edinburgh. I don't even have fibre where I stay (though BT are looking into it but at the speed of their typical broadband connection).

Currently I only get around 7 mbps which is a bit shite but not horrendous. Obviously you can't have multiple people streaming on that which could be a pain when I get Sky Q put in and someone tries to use Netflix. Hyperoptic could be a shout if they get in before BT.

Then it goes to £40.99 after 12 months, with price creeping over subsequent years.  My monthly bill was £48 with unlimited calls, which is superfluous when mobile contracts come with similar allowances. I stuck with them for BT Sport and reliability.

Speak to the cancellations team. Usually get good deals from them. Certainly better than the out of contract price.

• 3 weeks later...

I am wondering about switching to 4g mobile broadband.

currently :

Plusnet is £10 for 5GB data  download per month.

Three is £15 p/m  for 10GB

(usually 30Mbs ?  download speeds-  so they say in good coverage area)

but i am not sure of those figures.  

a lot cheaper than the fibre + phone rental(extortion) that i currently have.

I may get it for a month or so , to see if its as good/ has no problems etc.

when 5g comes out the prices are sure to drop :unsure: meaning more people will ditch the redundant landline 'rental' anchor.

be interested to hear from people who use 4g mobile broadband already   thanks.

On 16/04/2017 at 10:53, babu said:

I am wondering about switching to 4g mobile broadband.

currently :

Plusnet is £10 for 5GB data  download per month.

Three is £15 p/m  for 10GB

(usually 30Mbs ?  download speeds-  so they say in good coverage area)

but i am not sure of those figures.  

a lot cheaper than the fibre + phone rental(extortion) that i currently have.

I may get it for a month or so , to see if its as good/ has no problems etc.

when 5g comes out the prices are sure to drop :unsure: meaning more people will ditch the redundant landline 'rental' anchor.

be interested to hear from people who use 4g mobile broadband already   thanks.

You should find out how much data you're currently using.  I've spent this evening watching the football on the BT Sport website and then watching a TV show on Sky Go.  That combined with general browsing, emails etc has meant my PC has downloaded over 4.5GB alone.  I also was using my tablet earlier and also made a video call on WhatsApp on my phone so that'll likely have pushed my usage tonight over 5GB. 

If you use any streaming services like iPlayer, Sky Go, Netflix etc then you'll very likely blow through a 5 or 10GB limit in a matter of days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

After nearly seven years in this flat I've finally got fibre to the cabinet.  Up to 76Mbps down (realistically 50+ wired from the router) and 10 up, so ten times better than what I had before both ways.

Anyone savvy with homeplugs and networks?  I'm using 500Mbps TP-Link powerline adapters across the living room.  The room is 3.5m x 3.5m so quite small, but it's wooden flooring so I don't want to drag 10m of an ethernet cable along the skirting.  When I had a 6Mbps connection I didn't know how inefficient it was, but I'm only getting 12-15Mbps over the homeplug when I can get 40+ using wifi on the computer or phone.

Any tips for getting a better speed?

ETA: Sussed it out by keeping the homeplug to the router off the same extension strip and giving it its own socket.

• 1 month later...

My download speed has been 5 to 6 meg on a good day but 3 right now. Got BT Smarthub the other day and getting the high speed on wednesday apparently......but Toronto Blue Jays game on LiveNet TV is proper HD with no buffering whatsoever........loving it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/04/2018 at 00:38, jimmy boo said:

My download speed has been 5 to 6 meg on a good day but 3 right now. Got BT Smarthub the other day and getting the high speed on wednesday apparently......but Toronto Blue Jays game on LiveNet TV is proper HD with no buffering whatsoever........loving it.

3 years ago I'd have bit your fingers off for even 3Mb. We now get fibre in my location and watching BT's 4K sports channel is awesome when they show a Scottish game on it. In fact any fucking game looks the dugs bollocks. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Currently on bt broadband along with bt television box. Absolutely shite! If you don’t have the sports package then it is basically a recordable freeview box. The internet speed has always been quite poor with them. Told them that I was leaving them at the end of the month to go back to Sky. Guess they must have taken the hump at that. Broadband speed is now 0.5 meg.

Archived