Lowland League Ground Hop

Rab B Nesbit

Apart from the result enjoyed it tonight ... great job by East Kilbride hosting everyone and hospitality. Pretty even game settled by a moment of magic in the second half.

Crowd of 491 ... that must be a Lowland League record? Will it be beaten tomorrow?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you get to sell any Whitehill tat exclusive club merchandise?

There's always next season I dare say- get those Sir Peter masks ordered! :lol:

We did Tam shifted some stock from the Whitehill megastore. That's a great idea :lol: Will you have the Champions t-shirts ready for Dalbeattie on Sunday?

Well done to East Kilbride for putting on a good event. It was well run and obviously a lot of hard work went on behind the scenes.

It was a bit surreal and did feel like being in a crowd of trainspotters. I have never seen so many notebooks at a football match. Every substitution was greeted with a flurry of scribbling and debates about the numbers on the EK shirts.

Not wishing to give the Welfare lads any excuses (as if they need them) but Whitehill looked a tired team last night. Two midweek away matches as well full time 'day' jobs cannot be easy for the players. They seemed to play a lot deeper than they did at Raydale on Tuesday. Perhaps it was just that Gretna were a lot easier to break down.

East Kilbride looked a slick outfit and I was impressed with the number 10. Him and Victoria up front looked like a handful for any team.

Big shout out to the EK guys for their welcome and the EK beer :-). Very tight game and Summy's half volley deserved a goal, but a wonder strike settled the game. As Summy said, his shot hit the top of the bar, EK's hit the bottom. Narrow margins.

Rab, if I ever turn up at a game with anorak and rucksack, just put me out my misery. I obviously meant to go hillwalking but the Alzheimer's has kicked in.

Took in this game last night... Very well organised by EK; and despite the rival attraction of Motherwell-Hamilton a few miles away, the decision for all-ticket conditions proved to be sensible, as the crowd of 491 (which I imagine becomes EK's record attendance?!) took the K-Park to about 90% of capacity.

It was a strange crowd - rather like how I imagine the platform end of Waverley Station looked decades ago when crowded with trainspotters. Lot of people photographing seating blocks, signs, and scribbling stats into notebooks. I've never seen an orderly queue forming to scrutinise a team line, or the announcement of the attendance elicit one of the biggest hubbubs in a stand. Nonetheless it was a very enjoyable atmosphere, and it seemed like everyone was enjoying themselves, including the home fans and officials. (I'd imagine their treasurer had the biggest beaming smile in the ground, too). Overall, an unusual circumstance and occasion, and I think this felt nice for everyone - like an open day or a celebration.

Actual match was a tight affair, settled by an outstanding strike midway through the second half. Fitting goal to win a league title, you could say...

I see a crowd of 321 saw Vale-Preston. (EDIT: According to twitter 291 patronised Selkirk-Spartans and 323 were at Gala-Stirling). Hopefully nice weather and plenty variety (and volume) of food, drink and fitba keep the hoppers pleased tonight and tomorrow.

Highlights from Friday night are now available as EK open the Ground Hop weekend against Whitehill Welfare.

https://youtu.be/5-h0MDlPKBY

What happened to Wullie Kidd's header late on? We only made 2 decent chances on the night and that was one of them. Also the commentary seems to imply we only beat Gretna to do EK a favour.

Well done though, we at WW know how much work goes into producing highlights and sadly Craig who did ours has moved away.

Enjoyed the weekend.

As I said before, I have no connection with the 'UK ground hoppers' and traveled independently and camped at Peebles. As an independent ground hopper myself, even I was shocked by the amount of note books etc on display. Personally, I just want to visit a ground, watch a match and enjoy the experience and I feel no need to have the minutia of the game written down and recorded for posterity. Each to there own though.

Hope the hosts made a few quid and I also hope that Sunderland are away next year so I can visit the rest of the league, otherwise it might take me a few years.

Think Threave had it spot on with the Haggis, Neaps and Tatties thing as that's always going to appeal to a hungry curious Englishman. Not sure East Kilbride got it right with their £7 all you can eat effort as most people got there far too late to take advantage. This is the sort of thing you need to advertise well in advance as I had chosen a place to eat pre game a few miles further south but might have changed plans had I known it was available earlier.

Best of luck to Edinburgh City (best team I saw all weekend and the result was a travesty despite Dalbeattie playing very well) in the play offs and thanks to all the clubs for their hospitality.

We know clubs and players have put themselves out to play at awkward times and its much appreciated.

What happened to Wullie Kidd's header late on? We only made 2 decent chances on the night and that was one of them. Also the commentary seems to imply we only beat Gretna to do EK a favour.

Well done though, we at WW know how much work goes into producing highlights and sadly Craig who did ours has moved away.

I've just had a look back at the footage and WW did have a header cleared of the line from a corner. Apologises for missing out the chance, it was an honest mistake. As for the commentator, Callum was just meaning from EK's point of view WW did us a favour and kept it in EK hands in the race for 2nd. But Ross Wilson does discuss in his interview that Whitehill can catch EK if they win their games, but EK have a stronger goal difference.

Cheers mate, I appreciate the feedback on the highlights.

I've just had a look back at the footage and WW did have a header cleared of the line from a corner. Apologises for missing out the chance, it was an honest mistake. As for the commentator, Callum was just meaning from EK's point of view WW did us a favour and kept it in EK hands in the race for 2nd. But Ross Wilson does discuss in his interview that Whitehill can catch EK if they win their games, but EK have a stronger goal difference.

Cheers mate, I appreciate the feedback on the highlights.

Don't bother listening to them moaners Ekky, I always leave bits out of our games vs them, 1/2 the pleasure is annoying then. :)

Grimbo

I was at the Selkirk game & stood amongst a few gh'ers, with their notepads & pencils. They call it the time of the sub coming on etc & 1 lad next to me kept saying 1 min before the rest of them, so if the sub came on at 69, he would say 68, whilst every other one said 69, I laughed out loud cos I thought he was taking the pish, I got a frosty retort about that's how he does it because it's between the minutes or some shite, so I laughed again. To be fair a lot of them seemed normal though as well.

Grimbo

Archived