Lowland League Ground Hop

Rab B Nesbit

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew there were people who did this kind of thing but didn't realise it was on so big a scale. Superb idea.

Boring story - a couple of years ago I went to an Ayrshire junior match between Ardeer Thistle and Kello Rovers. It was poorly attended with only about 40-50 there. I bought a programme as usual, watched the match and left.

My work takes me throughout Glasgow and in and put of people's houses. A couple of weeks later I found myself in a flat in the city centre and whilst within saw a copy of the match programme I had bought at the Ardeer match. It turned out the guy was a ground-hopper and had been at the same match. He had thousands of programmes so must have been doing it for quite some time.

I am heading along to this. I am a bit of a ground hopper and have done virtually all the grounds in my local leagues down here in England, Northern League, Wearside League, Northern Alliance and Durham Alliance and had the Lowland league on my hit list as its actually the nearest league to me now that I have not done and the chance to do 6 of them in one weekend is a good opportunity. I have never been on an organised ground hop before and wont be travelling or staying with the other hoppers. I just bought the tickets and will travel independently.

Hopefully next year they will do the Edinburgh clubs and Stirling Uni as I have already been to Gretna and that will just leave me Glasgow to do.

Sadly I will not be partaking of the real ale as I will be driving and the Scottish drink drive laws won't allow any of that, so just the Bovril for me.

Why?

Now now some people collect stamps, train numbers, football programmes, fly model planes, walk up as many Munros as possible, collect Doctor Who memorabilia, collect pictures of trucks and buses (someone sent me a picture of our team coach on our way Stirling thinking that I might be interested), go to munitions factory exhibitions etc etc.

We may think all of the above is odd but each to their own. The ground hoppers are putting much needed funds in some of our clubs coffers as well some publicity to our league. There is the added bonus of annoying Newky (only kidding).

Now now some people collect stamps, train numbers, football programmes, fly model planes, walk up as many Munros as possible, collect Doctor Who memorabilia, collect pictures of trucks and buses (someone sent me a picture of our team coach on our way Stirling thinking that I might be interested), go to munitions factory exhibitions etc etc.

We may think all of the above is odd but each to their own. The ground hoppers are putting much needed funds in some of our clubs coffers as well some publicity to our league. There is the added bonus of annoying Newky (only kidding).

:D ha ha cic 7 more sleeps ;)

Let's see how ye feel wi an away trip somewhere on a Friday afternoon or Sunday morning next season. :P

Good luck to all involved :)

I am heading along to this. I am a bit of a ground hopper and have done virtually all the grounds in my local leagues down here in England, Northern League, Wearside League, Northern Alliance and Durham Alliance and had the Lowland league on my hit list as its actually the nearest league to me now that I have not done and the chance to do 6 of them in one weekend is a good opportunity. I have never been on an organised ground hop before and wont be travelling or staying with the other hoppers. I just bought the tickets and will travel independently.

Hopefully next year they will do the Edinburgh clubs and Stirling Uni as I have already been to Gretna and that will just leave me Glasgow to do.

Sadly I will not be partaking of the real ale as I will be driving and the Scottish drink drive laws won't allow any of that, so just the Bovril for me.

You get the numbers al drive the mini bus next season ;)

Why?

What?

I take it your next posts will be "Who?" "When?" and "Where?"

Now now some people collect stamps, train numbers, football programmes, fly model planes, walk up as many Munros as possible, collect Doctor Who memorabilia, collect pictures of trucks and buses (someone sent me a picture of our team coach on our way Stirling thinking that I might be interested), go to munitions factory exhibitions etc etc. We may think all of the above is odd but each to their own. The ground hoppers are putting much needed funds in some of our clubs coffers as well some publicity to our league. There is the added bonus of annoying Newky (only kidding).

Each to their own indeed - moreover they're putting money into clubs that often desperately need it. Despite what certain oxygen thieves elsewhere in P&B would have us believe (and outside of it), it would be a dull old world if we all liked the exact same things, something those for whom the perfect world would be Stepford find trouble grasping.

Yes, some Groundhoppers can be very Real Ale Twats in their nature, but better them than some crowd of knuckle trailing thugs adopting a club as an excuse to start aggro safe from the view of the local constabulary (as sometimes happens to non-league sides) or having more sinister agendas.

Post script at 10.13pm - and by way of illustration to the above, a shower of toerags wanting to indulge in sectarian "horseplay" out of sight of the Fuzz have been up to "naughties" today down at Largs' lovely ground.

So will games go ahead for ground hop even if surfaces would normally be called off if waterlogged like today... borders (minus gfr) and Dumfries area? Will money mean more than players safety? ? Really hoping for a dry week.

I went to a game a couple of years ago at St Rochs in the Juniors:

post-12982-0-55048700-1426380987_thumb.j

the pitch was a mudbath. Number of players taken off injured despite it being a fairly feisty game: ermm... none.

Vale v City earlier in the season:

post-12982-0-21859000-1426381118_thumb.j

splish splash, it was a mudbath. Number of players taken off injured: I don't remember many if any.

Surely a soft pitch means players are less likely to be injured compared to a compact hard pitch or even a 3G surface?

So will games go ahead for ground hop even if surfaces would normally be called off if waterlogged like today... borders (minus gfr) and Dumfries area? Will money mean more than players safety? ? Really hoping for a dry week.

If they were off they would be off but thankfully the forecast looks good.

Anybody heard what numbers/bus loads are travelling up for this event? Hopefully the league will get a good bit of media coverage and a wee welcome financial boosts for the clubs involved.

Seen Threave Rovers posters in Castle Douglas for there match advertising a local butcher with a hog roast, local real ale brewery are going to be present and a Threave Rovers shop. Maybe selling "Relegation 2024/15" tee shirts?

Anybody heard what numbers/bus loads are travelling up for this event? Hopefully the league will get a good bit of media coverage and a wee welcome financial boosts for the clubs involved.

Seen Threave Rovers posters in Castle Douglas for there match advertising a local butcher with a hog roast, local real ale brewery are going to be present and a Threave Rovers shop. Maybe selling "Relegation 2024/15" tee shirts?

Bookings for the weekend package closed last night with over 160 tickets sold. 400 programmes per game to be printed.

I bought my ticket late (last week) and its numbered 140, don't know if they are selling them sequentially but sounds about right to me. Re the hog roast at Threave, that's Sunday lunch sorted :) .

Surely it doesn't make any difference if the game is on or off? They only come to click off the ground. It's a bit like going to the pictures and not watching the film or walking round Amsterdam and looking in the windows!

Nah only counts if you see a match at the ground.

Archived