Lowland League Ground Hop

Rab B Nesbit

Few people want to go to games and clubs jump. I cant go to EK on the Friday and I follow a club not just to say I've been to a ground. Do groundhoppers drink real ale while wearing socks and sandals.?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Might get "lucky" with the weather & it get wetted off e-Cbn & save you the wee trip.What's Selkirk like for a night out, or am I better off heading back to the bright lights of Leith?Grimbo

no sure boot Selkirk grim but going back a few years been a wee bit worse for wear after night oot in galashiels. Its on yer way back.

When does the railway line open,I know its 2015 sometime but if its like yer trams ????

I do have sympathy with this gripe. An early start on a Sunday morning, not the ideal preparation.

But then again there is a silver lining, everyone else is looking for City to drop points somewhere ;)

Think of the greater good Newky.

It prob is greater good cic the northern league attendances last season were well up on a ground hop day but then again these were on English bank holidays if I recall.Our bank hols aren't as big as English ones,different regions have different bank hol dates.

This could be such a crucial time of the season (only a month to go before the play offs ?) especially for the teams at the top and the top 2 (for now at least) should in my opinion be playing on the same day at the same time :o

Maybes next time have a hop earlier in the season ?

Its 4 months away!, im sure youll get a good nights sleep before you have to travel the whole 2 hours!! to dalbeattie! grow a set!

His point probably relates to the change for folk in relation to the usual weekend pattern. Although as you say- there's four months to arrange job cover, child care etc. And if happy Gilmore is to be believed, city could send the u20s as the league will be wrapped up by then!

It prob is greater good cic the northern league attendances last season were well up on a ground hop day but then again these were on English bank holidays if I recall.Our bank hols aren't as big as English ones,different regions have different bank hol dates.

This could be such a crucial time of the season (only a month to go before the play offs ?) especially for the teams at the top and the top 2 (for now at least) should in my opinion be playing on the same day at the same time :o

Maybes next time have a hop earlier in the season ?

Good arguments Newky but we all need to look at all income streams where we can. It remains to be seen how many hoppers we will get and if indeed it was worthwhile. However the cash it generates may be quite significant.

It could go towards some needed lights ^_^

Few people want to go to games and clubs jump. I cant go to EK on the Friday and I follow a club not just to say I've been to a ground. Do groundhoppers drink real ale while wearing socks and sandals.?

Clubs quite right to jump if the demands there. Great to see the league going for it and all 14 clubs will hopefully bring in some much needed extra income. To have 1 game moved to a different time is no big deal ... some clubs down South rarely play a game at 3pm on a Saturday and their fans are inconvenienced. ie liverpool to Norwich for a 12 noon ko off on Easter Sunday !

I drunk real ale whilst wearing socks with my sandals & I'm not a ground hoppy.

Grimbo

Clubs quite right to jump if the demands there. Great to see the league going for it and all 14 clubs will hopefully bring in some much needed extra income. To have 1 game moved to a different time is no big deal ... some clubs down South rarely play a game at 3pm on a Saturday and their fans are inconvenienced. ie liverpool to Norwich for a 12 noon ko off on Easter Sunday !

This is no the premiership tho rab.

I've hardly missed a game this season yet its fcuked up not only one weekend but 2 for me now given the original EK game was SAT 7th February.

All for a bus load o hairy ersed hobgoblin drinkers.

I just hope yous are all right that they are a bunch of alkies in benefiting the clubs involved.

This is no the premiership tho rab.I've hardly missed a game this season yet its fcuked up not only one weekend but 2 for me now given the original EK game was SAT 7th February.All for a bus load o hairy ersed hobgoblin drinkers.I just hope yous are all right that they are a bunch of alkies in benefiting the clubs involved.

Away ye go it's fcuked up 2 weekends? How does it no matter just because it's the Premier League? Newcastle playing Southampton away midweek in the league cup and your gurning about 1 game that it'll only cost you a fiver to get into get moved to a Friday night?

Away ye go it's fcuked up 2 weekends? How does it no matter just because it's the Premier League? Newcastle playing Southampton away midweek in the league cup and your gurning about 1 game that it'll only cost you a fiver to get into get moved to a Friday night?

some of us work weekends and have to plan games in advance.

The new fixtures for the LL are by all means great but id pencilled in EK for Feb 6th.

So aye I am a bit pissed off all for a bus load o tourists.

I just hope its worth it.

Its no aboot the cost rab so dont get where yer going wi the £5er dig.

I'm happy spending my beer money plus my £5 entry every Saturday at the clubs I visit.

It's just disappointing to see such negativity towards something that up here is forward thinking and is well proven down South and abroad to have huge benefits to the clubs involved. It'll be far more than a bus load and those that come will spend all sorts if money no just on real ale oot there socks.

I am with Cic on this one.

Also I have bumped into a few of the hoppers on my travels down south. They are a bit like trainspotters, keen but pedantic about things. They also get a bit precious about programmes so make sure you print plenty.

Good arguments Newky but we all need to look at all income streams where we can. It remains to be seen how many hoppers we will get and if indeed it was worthwhile. However the cash it generates may be quite significant. It could go towards some needed lights ^_^

Right then ive selfishly criticized these hoppers without knowing them but have given them praise as well.

Can anyone confirm who these people are ?

How many they bring and spend at clubs ?

Do clubs share gate receipts ?

Genuine questions im all for clubs benefiting?

Its no aboot the cost rab so dont get where yer going wi the £5er dig.I'm happy spending my beer money plus my £5 entry every Saturday at the clubs I visit.

Last summer I spent the best part of £900 on a premier league season ticket when games can be shifted to all sorts of times at a weeks notice.

Last summer I spent the best part of £900 on a premier league season ticket when games can be shifted to all sorts of times at a weeks notice.

You win rab.

I did nae realise the LL was as global as the premiership.

All I was pointing oot was some of us work Saturdays and al be damned if im going to EK on a Friday night for a 4 o c start Saturday morning.

Best of luck to the hoppers.

You win rab.I did nae realise the LL was as global as the premiership.All I was pointing oot was some of us work Saturdays and al be damned if im going to EK on a Friday night for a 4 o c start Saturday morning.Best of luck to the hoppers.

Thanks Newky ... will you still speak to me? :lol:

Archived