Results

1320Lichtie

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, too many people are deluded about life after university. They expect to just walk into a job on their own terms and not have to contemplate moving even 30 miles.

A good article, and particularly interesting with regards to starting salary. Higher in Scotland, despite salaries for the investment banks and law firms in London going well above what you could reasonably expect in Scotland. That's even before we factor in London weighting.

I don't think anyone is forced to stay in Scotland. Why would they be?

Robert Gordon has the highest percentage of graduates leaving for a graduate entry job in the UK.

82% with an average starting salary of >20K. Quite impressive. J imagine their proximity to the oil industry helps.

Of the people I graduated with on my course, the majority stayed in Scotland. The ones that left generally weren't Scottish. Of my friends from all courses, a handful of Scots left, some to England, a few to the USA and a few dotted around Europe. Most of them stayed though.

There are a few people who have gone home because they couldn't get a job in the area they wanted, but most are either doing further study or working in the field they want to be in.

Because no one anywhere else will give them a job?

That's life. A degree does not guarantee you a job in your ideal location.

If you look at London for example, you are up against a gigantic field of candidates, many of whom are virtually indistinguishable from each other. It's the same the world over, and it is not any different in Scotland. Indeed, many people will do the reverse - look further out because they're getting no luck in Scotland.

The market is very competitive, but Scotland has a lot offer. The grass isn't always greener and the facts (employment take up and starting salary) show that.

Of the people I graduated with on my course, the majority stayed in Scotland. The ones that left generally weren't Scottish. Of my friends from all courses, a handful of Scots left, some to England, a few to the USA and a few dotted around Europe. Most of them stayed though.

There are a few people who have gone home because they couldn't get a job in the area they wanted, but most are either doing further study or working in the field they want to be in.

This is true across the board .

What is amusing to read are those who go abroad and try to peddle the myth that this means they have in some way made it, as opposed to those still here who of course haven't.

Or suggest that if you are ambitious you of course cant get a job here.

Yeah... And the band played...

This is true across the board .

What is amusing to read are those who go abroad and try to peddle the myth that this means they have in some way made it, as opposed to those still here who of course haven't.

Or suggest that if you are ambitious you of course cant get a job here.

Yeah... And the band played...

^^^

Didn't make it.

When I worked for Standard Life a significant proportion of the graduates in the graduate programme were from English universities.

I went to Stirling University and most of the people in my year stayed in Scotland - those burgers won't flip themselves!

When I worked for Standard Life a significant proportion of the graduates in the graduate programme were from English universities.

I went to Stirling University and most of the people in my year stayed in Scotland - those burgers won't flip themselves!

We've always traditionally had a lot of Irish graduates. South and North.

I think Stirling and Dundee were popular destinations for both. Certainly in the 80s and 90s.

The jobs market for financial services in Scotland is excellent just now. Lots of recruitment.

Just skipped through the last page and a half. Has Mr Bairn's raging boner died down yet since him and H_B's mutual tugging session?

He must be like a starstruck groupie. I wonder if he's sent Half Brick a PM yet asking for an autograph.

Jesus.

Of the guys I was at uni with (graduated 2011, Stirling uni dross) most stayed here, it has to be said those who left for London are all doing very well, those who stayed are a mixed bag. One or two are still in the jobs they had while attending university. Some earn >20k, in decent jobs. I don't think that's a sleight on Scotland though, there's plenty here even for the average graduate, more in some industries than others but that's to be expected. I did take me 3 years to get a decent job but I could have been far more proactive and wasted time on a particular graduate programme I failed to get on to two years running and then not really knowing what I wanted to do after that.

Oh and another kick in the baws for the 'students all rush off ' nonsense.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/About/Performance/scotPerforms/indicators/domiciledGraduates

I suggest you try a different way of talking Scotland down after being owned here .

I'm sure you have more in your sporran

Nobody is talking Scotland down fool. Its pointing out what is a widely perceived issue and we should be looking at ways to address it.

Your last link is 6 years out of date. Prior to the bust. Therefore it is laughably irrelevent.

When you google stuff and then post, maybe try and read the links first. The only really useful indepth one rubbished your point of view. Despite you attempting to cherry pick.

Never mind in your head you "owned" the thread.

Totally delusional.

I know people who left for London. Most are back here now. It was a short term cash grab really .

London is a brilliant place but for most its a long daily commute and quite wearing.

Especially once you start having kids and want a support network around you.

Its great that Scots graduates have so many choices. Our tertiary education system I'd fantastic.

Our graduates are fortunate that they have so many excellent well paid opportunities in Scotland .

Which is why our brightest stay here and flourish.

All great vindication of the UK and our role in it.

Nobody is talking Scotland down fool. Its pointing out what is a widely perceived issue and we should be looking at ways to address it.

Your last link is 6 years out of date. Prior to the bust. Therefore it is laughably irrelevent.

When you google stuff and then post, maybe try and read the links first. The only really useful indepth one rubbished your point of view. Despite you attempting to cherry pick.

Never mind in your head you "owned" the thread.

Totally delusional.

Lolwut?

You mean the link that showed the greater starting salaries Scottish graduates enjoy?

And the lower unemployment we face ?

And the greater number entering professional roles ?

:lol:

This is Monty Python Black Knight level of utter fail from you.

You've been utterly comprehensively owned following a hilarious Maude Flanders attempt to pretend a No vote was bad news for your kids jobs wise.

This is a Parp like humiliation

I know people who left for London. Most are back here now. It was a short term cash grab really .

London is a brilliant place but for most its a long daily commute and quite wearing.

Especially once you start having kids and want a support network around you.

Its great that Scots graduates have so many choices. Our tertiary education system I'd fantastic.

Our graduates are fortunate that they have so many excellent well paid opportunities in Scotland .

Which is why our brightest stay here and flourish.

All great vindication of the UK and our role in it.

Do you think things would chance much in an iScotland? While the UK has played it's part in shaping what the job market for graduates and our tertiary education system is like I don't see how independence will change for the worse the situation we have now. Perhaps with the much mooted competitive corporation tax and slashed airport duty tax we'll only see more opportunities for graduates who decide to work in Scotland. We can be thankful for the good the union has done but have the foresight to see how independent control of more of the levers that determine the route our economy takes could make us yet more competitive in keeping our best graduates and attracting better graduates from abroad.

And just to extend the fist munchingly horrible disaster you have had here....

To keep things simple yo match your level of comprehension have a look at the big blue bar in this chart...

I'll accept an apology at any point and stop this Gennady Golovkin style beat down .

http://ww2.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/p!eXbbbak

:lol:

Do you think things would chance much in an iScotland? While the UK has played it's part in shaping what the job market for graduates and our tertiary education system is like I don't see how independence will change for the worse the situation we have now. Perhaps with the much mooted competitive corporation tax and slashed airport duty tax we'll only see more opportunities for graduates who decide to work in Scotland. We can be thankful for the good the union has done but have the foresight to see how independent control of more of the levers that determine the route our economy takes could make us yet more competitive in keeping our best graduates and attracting better graduates from abroad.

Short term no. Longer term maybe .

Would depend on taxation , regulations etc.

I don't see that iScotland will have more opportunities than we currently do.

At best they might break even between business lost and gained.

Short term no. Longer term maybe .

Would depend on taxation , regulations etc.

I don't see that iScotland will have more opportunities than we currently do.

At best they might break even between business lost and gained.

With respect, I obviously disagree. I think Scotland will be better served by a Scottish government with it's own economy as a priority rather than a British government with it's priorities. I think we need to be aspirational and I'm convinced we can do more than break even, whilst I also acknowledge there's no land of milk and honey. I understand why many don't see the return worth the risk but I'll hopefully be here to see the long term results and I fancy our chances. There are more reasons why I am voting yes than the economy (and hopefully a long term small to reasonable gain) of course.

With respect, I obviously disagree. I think Scotland will be better served by a Scottish government with it's own economy as a priority rather than a British government with it's priorities. I think we need to be aspirational and I'm convinced we can do more than break even, whilst I also acknowledge there's no land of milk and honey. I understand why many don't see the return worth the risk but I'll hopefully be here to see the long term results and I fancy our chances. There are more reasons why I am voting yes than the economy (and hopefully a long term small to reasonable gain) of course.

Maybe... I don't really have an issue with that.

I think Scotland does well out of what is really a big internal market.

For example my company is mainly an English one with branches in other UK outposts. No reason that couldn't continue post secession but it wouldn't be as easy. Especially as there d be another layer of regulation... Difference in taxation collection...

I think you can see from our excellent graduate loyalty success how many opportunities there are in Scotland.

Its brilliant currently. I just don't see this massive upside to secession.

Archived