2/8/14 … Dalbeattie Star v Whitehill Welfare 3pm

Rab B Nesbit

Looking forward to the big kick off at the Islecroft on Saturday. Although don't like the look of the weather forecast!

Last season we enjoyed mixed results against the Star with a 4-2 loss at Ferguson Park in September and a thumping 5-1 win at Islecroft Stadium later in the season.

See that the Star have signed 4 players over the summer; Craig Rudd (Forward), Craig Neill (Defender), Ross Hyslop (Goalkeeper) and Graeme Bell (Forward) who has impressed in pre-season with 3 goals. They have played 3 matches, beating Creetown 4-0, Losing 4-2 to Newcastle Benfield and drawing 1-1 with Scottish Junior Cup Winners Hurford United.

For Whitehill Ryan McKenzie (Defender) and John Ross Kerr (Forward) have come in from Vale of Leithen. 7 pre-season friendlies, winning 5-2 away to the Civil Service, Losing 6-1 away to Lothian, losing 5-3 at home to Hamilton Accies U20, beating Berwick Rangers 2-1, Penicuik Athletic 5-2, Peebles 1-0 and a 2-2 draw with Newtongrange Star.

Looking forward to the big kick off at the Islecroft on Saturday. Although don't like the look of the weather forecast! Last season we enjoyed mixed results against the Star with a 4-2 loss at Ferguson Park in September and a thumping 5-1 win at Islecroft Stadium later in the season. See that the Star have signed 4 players over the summer; Craig Rudd (Forward), Craig Neill (Defender), Ross Hyslop (Goalkeeper) and Graeme Bell (Forward) who has impressed in pre-season with 3 goals. They have played 3 matches, beating Creetown 4-0, Losing 4-2 to Newcastle Benfield and drawing 1-1 with Scottish Junior Cup Winners Hurford United. For Whitehill Ryan McKenzie (Defender) and John Ross Kerr (Forward) have come in from Vale of Leithen. 7 pre-season friendlies, winning 5-2 away to the Civil Service, Losing 6-1 away to Lothian, losing 5-3 at home to Hamilton Accies U20, beating Berwick Rangers 2-1, Penicuik Athletic 5-2, Peebles 1-0 and a 2-2 draw with Newtongrange Star.

Always enjoy my trips to Gretna Castle Douglas and dalbeattie.

Hopefully a decent crowd,maybes dal will get the drinks in. :o

Oh and same result as last season please,prob ww best performance despite scoring 9 at Preston ?

Aye, certainly won't be the same result as last season that's for sure! Looking forward to it though, pitch is in great nick for our attacking style of play, not the soggen cut up park you played on last time that suits yous lot! Im up in the stand if you want to say hello! Apparently to be a very wet day for football

Always enjoy my trips to Gretna Castle Douglas and dalbeattie.Hopefully a decent crowd,maybes dal will get the drinks in. :oOh and same result as last season please,prob ww best performance despite scoring 9 at Preston ?

what was your thoughts on the game today broon?

What do you think about reducing the size of your pitch and putting 10 in defence for the game today

Did Dalbeattie score through a couple of own goals? Ten at the back and they still scored 2- good job for welfare that they weren't playing anyone upfront!

Did Dalbeattie score through a couple of own goals? Ten at the back and they still scored 2- good job for welfare that they weren't playing anyone upfront!

ha ha, Ye were lucky to be still in the game at half time!! If we had took our chances. Our shape and set up was spot on. All you could do was your usual lump the ball into the box . We had to throw the ball away at the end as it said it had never been kicked as hard and high and punted by opposition before! As for your equalizer, foul on the keeper!!

What do you think about reducing the size of your pitch and putting 10 in defence for the game today

by the way the pitch is the same length and width as yours, so grow a set and get on with it, same for both teams

ha ha, Ye were lucky to be still in the game at half time!! If we had took our chances. Our shape and set up was spot on. All you could do was your usual lump the ball into the box . We had to throw the ball away at the end as it said it had never been kicked as hard and high and punted by opposition before! As for your equalizer, foul on the keeper!!

I thought 1-1 at half time was pretty fair. First blood to WW through Aaron Somerville's header then Scott Milligan equalised for the Star. Liam Park did go close on the stroke of half time with a good run and shot then just after Graeme Bell missed 2 great chances before Park did score to put Dalbeattie 2-1 up.

The last 25 mins WW had them penned in and tried to play with the ball on the ground but it was tight and in the end McIntosh equalised heading in a Kidd corner. I didn't think there was a foul and there seemed to be a delay before the appeals from home players. 2-2 a fair result I thought and a good point gained from tough opposition.

There's a very good report and photos on the Star website ... http://www.dalbeattiestar.co.uk/club

Mickeys thoughts ... http://wwmanager.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

Will be an inferior report up at http://ww.whitehillwelfare.co.uk shortly just waiting on the Mantis sticking it up think he's got jet lag ...

Ha ha Rab just been oot but now I'm back I'll get it done.

Once I've read that other thread about Eddie May Quilts.

Looks like a handy Xmas present for all these Stirly stoodents as Grim would call them :;-):

Probably not the best place to put this but I was wondering cause every time I look at the lowland league forum it seems to be getting busier. Are the average attendances improving in the lowland league and what are the average attendances around?

Probably not the best place to put this but I was wondering cause every time I look at the lowland league forum it seems to be getting busier. Are the average attendances improving in the lowland league and what are the average attendances around?

I posted about ours a wee while back on here but can't find it looking back. WW's definitely up, still nothing to shout from the rooftops about I dont suppose but up.

I posted about ours a wee while back on here but can't find it looking back. WW's definitely up, still nothing to shout from the rooftops about I dont suppose but up

thanks I was curious about this so thought I would post to ask.

Unfortunately only limited figures are available, although that said it's good that any are available. Only a handful of big Junior clubs seem to issue crowds and it's become almost unknown in the Highland League. From data I collected from official sources (club programmes or club websites), the following can be said for last season:

Gretna 2008

- overall average 122, league average 143

- overall highest & league highest 189 (Threave)

*omits concluding league game v Preston

Edinburgh City

- overall average 84, league average 76

- overall highest 252 (Fraserburgh, Scottish Cup)

- league highest 160 (Spartans), league lowest 40 (Stirling)

*omits concluding league games v Selkirk and Vale of Leithen

Threave Rovers

(note these figures exclude their home league derby v Dalbeattie which was the last game of the season)

- overall average 151, league average 143 [but probably higher post-derby]

- overall highest 258 (Spartans, Challenge Cup)

- league highest 180 (Gretna) [but probably higher post-derby as they got 200 v Dalbeattie in LL Cup], league lowest 100 (Selkirk)

Whitehill Welfare

- overall average 111, league average 125

- overall highest 512 (Stirling Albion, Scottish Cup R2)

- league highest 165 (Gala), league lowest 75 (Selkirk)

*omits concluding King Cup ties v Stirling Uni and Gretna

Those are, City aside, pretty reasonable.

Something in the low-to-mid 100s is in my eyes healthy for this level. Crowds are definetely something some of the smaller clubs could work on, but it's challenging. And obviously the University teams are somewhat 'special' circumstances.

Colloquially, I've heard it said that most clubs were up last season. Gala are said to have the highest crowds in the league, I've even heard suggestions they may average over the 200 mark or not far off it. Spartans and East Kilbride are said to be somewhere in the 100s range. Stirling Uni, Vale, Selkirk, Dalbeattie (less certain) will I understand all be in 2 figures. It's a lot of guesswork and trying to choose between individual people's over or under estimation, though.

Archived