2014/15 Lowland League Odds

Rab B Nesbit

Everyone at Edinburgh City is not getting carried away and taking one game at a time with Easthouses next, a long, long way to go in the league with a break in December for the league cup sections. There will be points dropped by every team between now and the end of the season like last year where everyone took points of each other but it was the most consistent team that won the title.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shocking today, We struggle in front of our own fans, maybe the pressure of playing in front of a lot of people gets to the younger lads, doesnt help when some fans do nothing but complain & slag the team off for 90 mins (wrong imo) but there entitled to say what they want when they pay their money.

Looking forward to the trip to EK next week, we play much better away from home imo

Shocking today, We struggle in front of our own fans, maybe the pressure of playing in front of a lot of people gets to the younger lads, doesnt help when some fans do nothing but complain & slag the team off for 90 mins (wrong imo) but there entitled to say what they want when they pay their money.

Looking forward to the trip to EK next week, we play much better away from home imo

I know it didn't apply to today's game, but you'd think the journey for the opposition to Gretna would give the home side the advantage? A couple of hours on a bus isnt a great way of prepping but Gretna seem to fail to capitalise- is it just then pressure the players feel then?

I know it didn't apply to today's game, but you'd think the journey for the opposition to Gretna would give the home side the advantage? A couple of hours on a bus isnt a great way of prepping but Gretna seem to fail to capitalise- is it just then pressure the players feel then?

I'm not sure about that to be honest, Its just my opinion to be, We hammered BSC 6-0 earlier in the season and that along with Gala away winning 4-0 are probably our best performances of the season, i think we perform better on the road, we lost at Vale 3-2 but have won or drawn the rest of the away games, i think our style suits playing away from home, we've been unable to find a formula for winning consistently at home so far, maybe that will change as the season goes on but as Cicero says We're back to being Consistently Inconsistent

• 2 weeks later...

Gretna were doing ok til a few fans went on here claiming the title odds were ridiculous considering thy had just beaten spartans. Think the bookies have been shown to be spot on with that one.

Nobody claimed they were ridiculous, just very generous.

My point was that the odds tend to suggest that there is a big gap between the teams, which I believe is not the case. I think 20/1 is a steal especially an each way bet.

Win their game in hand and Gretna will go third. Point proved?

Nah- each way is top two and they're further away from it now (points wise) than they were at the time of the above post!

To be fair to cic it was top 3 ew at the time when they were getting carried away by the price.

Cic winning yer game in hand doesn't make ye FINISH 3rd though so cant see where you've proved yer point ??

Nah- each way is top two and they're further away from it now (points wise) than they were at the time of the above post!

Obv depends on your bookie as you may be with one that pays top three- just don't see the consistently inconsistents staying in top three although it's tight from third down with all a bit inconsistent over last four weeks.

Point was 20 / 1 was generous. Are still you two still saying it wasn't?

I doubt you would get anywhere near that now.

No, the point was that some of the Gretna fans thought the bookies shouldn't have had the difference in price between spartans and Gretna as far apart as they were after your 'famous victory' . Spartans are essentially guaranteed to finish top three every year- hence the very skinny odds. Gretna still to prove- no doubt 20/1 is generous for a top three each way market, but you're original 'complaint' was about the difference in price between you and spartans. The ensuing results seem to have justified that difference, although you were then quickly cut to 10/1 after two of you lumped £50 on it!

Point was 20 / 1 was generous. Are still you two still saying it wasn't? I doubt you would get anywhere near that now.

no point was you said if ye won yer game in hand yer point would be proved.

The point will only be proved if and when ye finish in the top 3 ?

no point was you said if ye won yer game in hand yer point would be proved.The point will only be proved if and when ye finish in the top 3 ?

What I said, but also this ^^^^^^^^

Just off to the bookies to collect my winnings on Dundee united to win spl....

The odds set on 1st September after the match on 30th August indicated that there was an 17.75 point gap between Spartans and Gretna. I said that on the evidence of the match that I saw (which I assume that since you two support Whitehill and 'Scotland' you both weren't there and cannot dispute) the gap in the odds did not indicate the gulf between the teams. Taking that into account I said that the odds were very generous especially for an each way bet.

Now, two month later and more than half the league games played, Gretna could easily go into 3rd place if they win their game in hand. You certainly wouldn't get 20/1 now. The guy who put £50 on an each way bet (A Queen's supporter not Gretna) must still be fairly happy. If you can afford to lose £50, 20/1 are great odds to risk the hit. Even if Gretna finish fourth or fifth, the point is still valid as the odds were generous and worth the risk.

The odds set on 1st September after the match on 30th August indicated that there was an 17.75 point gap between Spartans and Gretna. I said that on the evidence of the match that I saw (which I assume that since you two support Whitehill and 'Scotland' you both weren't there and cannot dispute) the gap in the odds did not indicate the gulf between the teams. Taking that into account I said that the odds were very generous especially for an each way bet. Now, two month later and more than half the league games played, Gretna could easily go into 3rd place if they win their game in hand. You certainly wouldn't get 20/1 now. The guy who put £50 on an each way bet (A Queen's supporter not Gretna) must still be fairly happy. If you can afford to lose £50, 20/1 are great odds to risk the hit. Even if Gretna finish fourth or fifth, the point is still valid as the odds were generous and worth the risk.

Jeezo...

Cic I said at the time 20/1 was generous.

My point was that it would only be proven if ye FINISHED there.(top 3)

The way I see it now is there are two absolute stick ons for 1st and 2nd with 3rd place wide open.

So take the top 2 out of the equation and your 20/1 EACH WAY quote now makes you around the 4/1 mark to finish 3rd.

Would I be willing to lump on yous at 4/1 just to finish 3rd ?

NO given you said yourself you are consistently inconsistent and the fact that all other teams are taking points of each other.

Gretna are 20/1 to win the league and the each way terms are 1/4 odds first 2 with McBookie

You were only 7/1 at the time though Elton.

Its all very well now quoting 20/1 1/4 1st 2 when the top two in my opinion are certainties to finish there.

I hope im proved wrong.

Archived