2014/15 Lowland League Odds

Rab B Nesbit

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Lowland League is a total headscratcher for me. I've heard of all the teams but some of them are virtually new startups and it will be interesting to see what kind of backing they get with the potential of getting into the league next season.

Although you'd imagine the likes of Spartans and Whitehill Welfare will be amongst the big guns, the likes of East Kilbride, Edinburgh City and Broomhill could potentially end up being threats because of their pretty big catchment areas. Those three might not be up to taking on the big two right away but you'd imagine they'd be in the chase within a couple of years. Spartans seem the most likely to win though and two in a row seems like a fairly big possibility for them.

The Lowland League looks like it could potentially end up very lopsided if the big city / town teams get a solid following and the village / little town teams get 2 men and a dog for their home gates.

It will be interesting to see what will happen to the league maybe three to five years down the road if a couple of established names end up going down. It might be similar but obviously on a different level to Rangers, Hearts and Hibs all ending up in the Championship. The Conference in England has become fairly strong through having a couple of established names going down to that level and maybe a couple of relative big names landing in the Lowland League would give it a far higher profile.

It is interesting that you mention the size of places. These are the populations of the teams in the LL this season (taken from SCROL for 2001 as I don't think 2011 is online yet). Obviously some teams draw their support from a broader district or county, not just the town itself.

Glasgow - 629,501

BSCG

Edinburgh - 430,082

Spartans & Edinburgh City

East Kilbride - 73,796

(University of Edinburgh - student roll 32,591)

Galashiels - 14,361

(Stirling University - student roll 11,500)

Prestonpans - 7,153

Selkirk - 5,742

Dalbeattie - 4,289

Castle Douglas - 3,671

Gretna - 2,705

Innerleithen - 2,586

Rosewell - 1,120

It is interesting that you mention the size of places. These are the populations of the teams in the LL this season (taken from SCROL for 2001 as I don't think 2011 is online yet). Obviously some teams draw their support from a broader district or county, not just the town itself.

http://www.scotlandscensus.gov.uk/

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Spartans 6/4ww ed city 4/1ek 6/1Gretna 14/1dalb star selkirk 16/1uni o stirling 20/1Gala 33/1Bsc 66/1Vale threave Preston ed uni 100/1

EK best team I've seen so far, although will see the galacticos 1st hand on sat

Here are the latest odds from William Hill

Every Lowland League match is also priced up and available in every William Hill branch

LOWLAND LEAGUE
Edinburgh City 9/4
Spartans 9/4
Whitehill Welfare 4/1
East Kilbride 9/2
Dalbeattie Star 16/1
Selkirk 16/1
Gretna 2008 20/1
Stirling University 25/1
Gala Fairydean 33/1
Edinburgh Uni 50/1
BSC Glasgow 66/1
Vale of Leithen 66/1
Preston Athletic 150/1
Threave Rovers 150/1
Each Way 1/5 1-2-3

William Hill Support Responsible Gambling
You must be 18 or over to Gamble
www.gambleaware.co.uk

Here are the latest odds from William Hill

Every Lowland League match is also priced up and available in every William Hill branch

LOWLAND LEAGUE

Edinburgh City 9/4

Spartans 9/4

Whitehill Welfare 4/1

East Kilbride 9/2

Dalbeattie Star 16/1

Selkirk 16/1

Gretna 2008 20/1

Stirling University 25/1

Gala Fairydean 33/1

Edinburgh Uni 50/1

BSC Glasgow 66/1

Vale of Leithen 66/1

Preston Athletic 150/1

Threave Rovers 150/1

Each Way 1/5 1-2-3

William Hill Support Responsible Gambling

You must be 18 or over to Gamble

www.gambleaware.co.uk

Gretna at 20/1 and Spartans 9/4. Not from what I saw on Saturday.

If I was a gambler in the real world I would be very tempted with at least an each way bet on Gretna.

If you do Cicero bet with William Hill at 20/1.

We are only 7/1 with Mcbookie.

Don't think W.H. Know about our famous victory over Spartans yet!

A 'famous victory' is not what title contenders do at home to a rival. It's what teams at the bottom of the league do against contenders. So either your not contenders or it shouldn't go down as a ' famous' win. Which is it Gretna fans?

Personally think it's the latter. Genuine contenders- with about seven others by the look of it!

My point was that the odds tend to suggest that there is a big gap between the teams, which I believe is not the case. I think 20/1 is a steal especially an each way bet.

As for the famous win. I think that it is our first league victory over Spartans. I seem to remember a 5-1(???) win at Raydale a few years back but I am sure that was a cup game. Since it is our first league win against them, I think the 'famous' tag can be justified.

My point was that the odds tend to suggest that there is a big gap between the teams, which I believe is not the case. I think 20/1 is a steal especially an each way bet.

As for the famous win. I think that it is our first league victory over Spartans. I seem to remember a 5-1(???) win at Raydale a few years back but I am sure that was a cup game. Since it is our first league win against them, I think the 'famous' tag can be justified.

The odds only reflect the bookies idea of teams winning the thing. What odds are man city and stoke? ( sorry grim!)

See your point but for your teams sake I hope the players don't see it as that and rest on their laurels. Everything in place at raydale for a title push.

If you do Cicero bet with William Hill at 20/1.We are only 7/1 with Mcbookie.Don't think W.H. Know about our famous victory over Spartans yet!
My point was that the odds tend to suggest that there is a big gap between the teams, which I believe is not the case. I think 20/1 is a steal especially an each way bet. As for the famous win. I think that it is our first league victory over Spartans. I seem to remember a 5-1(???) win at Raydale a few years back but I am sure that was a cup game. Since it is our first league win against them, I think the 'famous' tag can be justified.
Lads lads lads 2 good results dont make a season though 20/1 is a bit on the high side :DAs surely pointed out there s quite a few teams out there who could easily be top 3.ww nae value city far too short now ek and Gretna look best value. Long long way to go ??

Think your probably right grim. There's always at least one that surprises- it was vale last but think they finished 6th or 7th.

While we're comparing teams, does this make spartans Blackburn rovers grim? The season after they won it then finished mid table......

As for the famous win. I think that it is our first league victory over Spartans. I seem to remember a 5-1(???) win at Raydale a few years back but I am sure that was a cup game.

Roughly...

2009-10... South Challenge Cup... Final... Gretna 1-3 Spartans

2011-12... EOS League Premier Division... Gretna 1-5 Spartans

2011-12... EOS League Premier Division... Spartans 2-0 Gretna

2011-12... EOS Qualifying Cup... Round 2... Gretna 4-2 Spartans

2012-13... EOS League Premier Division... Gretna 0-0 Spartans

2012-13... EOS League Premier Division... Spartans 4-0 Gretna

2013-14... Lowland League... Gretna 0-3 Spartans

2013-14... Lowland League... Spartans 4-0 Gretna

2013-14... EOS Qualifying Cup... Round 2... Spartans 2-0 Gretna

Roughly...

2009-10... South Challenge Cup... Final... Gretna 1-3 Spartans

2011-12... EOS League Premier Division... Gretna 1-5 Spartans

2011-12... EOS League Premier Division... Spartans 2-0 Gretna

2011-12... EOS Qualifying Cup... Round 2... Gretna 4-2 Spartans

2012-13... EOS League Premier Division... Gretna 0-0 Spartans

2012-13... EOS League Premier Division... Spartans 4-0 Gretna

2013-14... Lowland League... Gretna 0-3 Spartans

2013-14... Lowland League... Spartans 4-0 Gretna

2013-14... EOS Qualifying Cup... Round 2... Spartans 2-0 Gretna

Thanks HJ.

Funny how the passage of time makes good performances even better.

Archived