Building small form PC

What do you mean by wanting it as a media server? I could be a bit dumb here but unless you're wanting to use it hooked up to its own dedicated monitor, wouldn't you be as well just getting a big NAS drive hooked up to your router?

I know that the small form-factor PCs are increasingly seen as ways of hooking up to large monitors or televisions while being discrete. If you're after something like that, you could explore things like this:

What do you mean by wanting it as a media server? I could be a bit dumb here but unless you're wanting to use it hooked up to its own dedicated monitor, wouldn't you be as well just getting a big NAS drive hooked up to your router?

I know that the small form-factor PCs are increasingly seen as ways of hooking up to large monitors or televisions while being discrete. If you're after something like that, you could explore things like this:

I will, in effect, be a glorified NAS. However, as I want it to run Plex MS it needs to be pretty beefy in terms of processing power. To get a NAS with that sort of grunt would cost around £1000. I can build something for a lot less.

Ive spec'd intel and AMD options on ebuyer. I already have a HD to put in it and it wont need a dedicated GFX card

Intel option

AMD option

I'll get more performance and, I think, lower power consumption from the i5 but I dont think its worth the extra £100

ETA - the one on that video looks good, but like the Tiny Green ones I linked earlier its expensive

Not too late, I havent ordered anything. Turned out the one I linked to this afternoon was in the US. When they added VAT and shipping it wasnt much cheaper than the i3

• 1 year later...

Bump.

After the discussion I had with Mr X about the Star Wars films, I've been toying with the idea of building my own Media Server for the house, ideally utilising an old PC I've got gathering dust in a cupboard.

I'm not entirely sure that it will be up to the task as it is fairly ancient. I'm going to get it out (steady) and give it a good look at this week.

Plex does seem like the software of choice for this, and from having a look online it does seem as simple as installing it and setting up the server on my home network. Any advice would be welcome.

This might all fall down when I find out my old PC isn't up to it.

Bump.

After the discussion I had with Mr X about the Star Wars films, I've been toying with the idea of building my own Media Server for the house, ideally utilising an old PC I've got gathering dust in a cupboard.

I'm not entirely sure that it will be up to the task as it is fairly ancient. I'm going to get it out (steady) and give it a good look at this week.

Plex does seem like the software of choice for this, and from having a look online it does seem as simple as installing it and setting up the server on my home network. Any advice would be welcome.

This might all fall down when I find out my old PC isn't up to it.

It pretty much is that simple. You'll need, obviously, quite a bit of storage for the files but Plex handles everything else - although I would recommend looking up their naming conventions, as that will help a lot when it comes to it identifying the media. Depending on the format your media is in just now and what devices you'll be using for playback it might also be worth looking up formats that are compatible with direct play and converting if necessary. That means Plex doesnt have to do any transcoding which hugely reduces the CPU/memory load on the server.

Your other main option is Kodi (formerly XBMC) Personally, I preferred the look of Plex and its a lot easier to setup. IMO, its easier to sort out playback as you can use the web or apps but the setup is all done on the server. Kodi, the setup has to be done on each device. What I ended up doing was installing Kodi on the same server as Plex and then connecting it to the TV. I dont use that for Plex playback but I do for Kodi.

The minimum specs for Plex are pretty low - clicky - the issues come when you have multiple devices and/or need to transcode. You shouldnt have any problem getting something up and running, though, even if its just to test.

It pretty much is that simple. You'll need, obviously, quite a bit of storage for the files but Plex handles everything else - although I would recommend looking up their naming conventions, as that will help a lot when it comes to it identifying the media. Depending on the format your media is in just now and what devices you'll be using for playback it might also be worth looking up formats that are compatible with direct play and converting if necessary. That means Plex doesnt have to do any transcoding which hugely reduces the CPU/memory load on the server.

Your other main option is Kodi (formerly XBMC) Personally, I preferred the look of Plex and its a lot easier to setup. IMO, its easier to sort out playback as you can use the web or apps but the setup is all done on the server. Kodi, the setup has to be done on each device. What I ended up doing was installing Kodi on the same server as Plex and then connecting it to the TV. I dont use that for Plex playback but I do for Kodi.

The minimum specs for Plex are pretty low - clicky - the issues come when you have multiple devices and/or need to transcode. You shouldnt have any problem getting something up and running, though, even if its just to test.

The issue of multiple devices shouldn't really be an issue just now. It would generally be used to stream stuff to the TV or a tablet, but as it's just my wife and I it would only every be one at a time in an ideal situation. I suppose once the kids get a bit older and want to watch their own shit it might become an issue, but by then if this works I could probably justify getting a better set up.

One thing I wondered about was, if i set up the server with an address on my home network (192.168.xx.xx) it wouldn't use any of my internet bandwidth when streaming? Unless i decided to try and stream from elsewhere, obviously. As you know my BB is as slow as a week in the jail, so if this is dependent on having a decent connection speed then I might as well not bother.

The issue of multiple devices shouldn't really be an issue just now. It would generally be used to stream stuff to the TV or a tablet, but as it's just my wife and I it would only every be one at a time in an ideal situation. I suppose once the kids get a bit older and want to watch their own shit it might become an issue, but by then if this works I could probably justify getting a better set up.

One thing I wondered about was, if i set up the server with an address on my home network (192.168.xx.xx) it wouldn't use any of my internet bandwidth when streaming? Unless i decided to try and stream from elsewhere, obviously. As you know my BB is as slow as a week in the jail, so if this is dependent on having a decent connection speed then I might as well not bother.

No, local streaming wont use your BB. You can set up your plex server to be visible to the outside world, as I did obviously, but you dont have to.

Do you have a smart TV? The only way you can stream to a device is using the web (which I think is PC only) or an app. I didnt have a smart TV (although one is getting delivered today) so I bought a Roku 3, which has a Plex app. You could cast from a tablet if the TV doesnt have its own app but thats a bit more of a faff. Theres no chromecast Plex app either, which is a shame, you have to cast it from another device

No, local streaming wont use your BB. You can set up your plex server to be visible to the outside world, as I did obviously, but you dont have to.

Do you have a smart TV? The only way you can stream to a device is using the web (which I think is PC only) or an app. I didnt have a smart TV (although one is getting delivered today) so I bought a Roku 3, which has a Plex app. You could cast from a tablet if the TV doesnt have its own app but thats a bit more of a faff. Theres no chromecast Plex app either, which is a shame, you have to cast it from another device

I have a smart TV. I'm sure it has an ethernet connection as well as wifi. I was hoping that there would be a plex app for the TV. I could cast from a tablet but that would be more of a faff. I better check out the TV first before I start messing about with the PC

edit: This would suggest that there is an app i can install

I have a smart TV. I'm sure it has an ethernet connection as well as wifi. I was hoping that there would be a plex app for the TV. I could cast from a tablet but that would be more of a faff. I better check out the TV first before I start messing about with the PC

edit: This would suggest that there is an app i can install

Yes, thats probably a good idea.

Archived