20 unionist answers to debunk

Mr Bairn

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Statesman not impressed with BT's propaganda.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/05/better-together-vs-truth

Yet, for some reason, the authors of the booklet - Better Together - decided to swamp sensible arguments such as these under a welter of misinformation. For instance, it’s true that goods in Ireland are more expensive than they are in Britain. But Ireland’s per capita GDP is 16 per cent higher than the UK’s ($45,921 compared to $38,920) and the Irish minimum wage is ten per cent higher than the British (£7 per hour compared to £6.31 per hour). It is also true that 65 per cent of all Scottish exports go to the rest of the UK. But so what? Some 70 per cent of Canada’s exports go to the US, yet Canadians seem to be handling their independence relatively well.

But the nonsense didn’t stop there. Page ten provided a list of the world’s “richest” countries according to GDP. The list ranked the UK sixth after France and Scotland 45th - after Pakistan. You don’t need a degree in economics to realise how silly this is. There is no inherent relationship between the size of a country’s economy and the wealth of its citizens. Denmark’s economy is substantially smaller than China’s but Danish people are, on average, substantially richer than Chinese people. This is something I assume - and certainly hope - Better Together is aware of.

Not one for being superficial, but the no voters appear to be a better looking bunch. What does that tell you?

You have no argument against independence

The guy at number 3 of the No guys on Buzzfeed is a BT spokesman.

Surely the No campaign would never ever ever ever ever try to pass a political activist off as an ordinary person?

Is that your resort every time I own you?

Scrappy Doo to the bone. If it makes you feel big and clever then yes, yes that's my "resort" every time you own me.

Dear God that is soul destroying to read. This type of person settles for being moist over currently being fourth in a diddy competition like the commonwealth games, something that barely anyone outside of it gives a damn for, drinks in the same pub every week without trying anywhere else, settles for watching Taggart and River City, tells everyone with a confounding smile that we are such a great nation, but then has completely simplistic, head in the sand, views that we are not capable of governing ourselves because this great nation might find it hard. How did half of these people manage to move out of their parent's house? We really are the fucking Kings of mediocrity.

Archived