Motherwell vs St Mirren - 09/08/14

Ramsden was sent off against Kilmarnock last season, Lasley's sending off against Kilmarnock was in 2012/13.

Right enough. Will we split the difference and say 2 season ago then?

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked at it again on BBC and it was pretty much as I remembered it (still haven't seen the dissent :) ). It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen - far from it - but just daft when you're on a yellow (and have the baggage that Goodwin does). I understand why some Saints fans are frustrated that he gets singled out (and I have a bit of sympathy with that point of view) - but there is only one person to blame for the reputation he has - and he is suffering now to the point that he is compromised as a player - he's never going to get the benefit of the doubt again.

ETA - a vine of the incident as posted on Steelmen on-line - make your own mind up if you've not seen it..

https://vine.co/v/MV0WZ1vipKQ

Having just watched the vine I don't know what to make of it.

On a yellow card it's a pretty stupid thing to do, especially if you have a reputation and previous.

It was more of a forearm barge than a elbow. You see his head reacting to header the ball so I don't know if he was expecting Sutton to back into him and he obviously didn't.

Not the worst offence in the world but

once again not the brightest from Jim that cost us.

It's as clear a booking as you'll ever see. Blatently intentional and he knows fine well it's the sort of thing that doesn't go unpunished if caught. Just because its every bit as pathetic and weak as his punch was on Jennings a few years back doen't alter that fact.

It was more of a forearm barge than a elbow. You see his head reacting to header the ball so I don't know if he was expecting Sutton to back into him and he obviously didn't.

It is nothing else but an attempt (which succeeded, if only lamely) to hit an opponent. Something he does time and time again, and has been caught doing time and again. I don't know of any other player who sinks this low. It's pathetic, as is any attempt to defend him.

He doesn't even really attempt to head the ball, he closes his eyes and looks away whilst stooping his head. He even turns around as he has no idea where the ball went.

Having just watched the vine I don't know what to make of it.

On a yellow card it's a pretty stupid thing to do, especially if you have a reputation and previous.

Not the worst offence in the world but once again not the brightest from Jim that cost us.

I have to agree with all of that.

Do any other Well fans think were a bit fucked this season. Good turn out from the St Mirren fans

Was disappointed with the turnout from the Motherwell fans to be honest. 3600 or so on a nice Saturday afternoon after your team has been doing so well in the league was a surprise to me.

Anyway on Goodwin, I've defended him before on here but can't be defending him this week. Was pissed the management team didn't haul him off, but perhaps they thought as part of the team he might actually cool it. The first booking might not have been a foul in 1994 but in 2014 it is. He was utterly stupid for the second one. It's the type of thing that goes on all the time on the pitch but on a yellow it's dangerous.

In general Goodwin can be a decent player. However he has another side and his idiocy with Armstong and Jennings incidents is the other side of him which you can't defend. Some Saints fans can't see the problem as they have rose tinted specs but if that was Ian Black, Lasley et al they'd be spitting feathers.

However that isn't to say that there's not occasions that he gets hard done too in comparison to others. For example take John McGinn yesterday who probably did more niggly fouls than most and escaped without a card. Against Hibs last year he was done- Kevin Thomson knew who it was and made the most of it and the referee was utterly choking to get the red card out. That was purely reputation and the card was correctly overturned once the replays were shown.

Derek Adams highlighted him to the media with his pathetic 'ghost' comments after Goodwin had bossed County in the midfield. Of course County had 2 sent off that day and the most fouled player was Jim Goodwin but the media went with it.

To summarise, yes he is on occasion more harshly dealt with than some others, but he doesn't help himself. He needs to screw the nut and forget trying the niggly stuff as his reputation doesn't let him get away with it now.

Do any other Well fans think were a bit fucked this season. Good turn out from the St Mirren fans

If there was a prize for how not to get your fans up for the season ahead - our European games would win it. The minute you go out in the manner that we did, you get everyone questioning the pre-season prep (especially since Aberdeen and St Johnstone did fine), the attitude of the players, the signing policy, etc, etc and that's what we've seen - it was one of the most negative atmospheres for the start of the season I can remember - people were more upbeat when we were in administration :)

A few wins will blow away the unrest from the support over the trivial stuff - but I think there are plenty of sensible fans questioning the underlying position of the club given that we've posted losses whilst finishing in a league placing that would normally be beyond us. It's too long a discussion for a match thread - but the question of whether or not it is worth overspending to finish 2nd versus finishing lower but running in a sustainable way is one that we'll hear more of IMO (and I know what side of that I'm on).

Yup pretty much agree. I also said to my pal this must have been the lowest home support for an opening game

We had 1000-odd more home fans for the Stjarnan game - so it was a big drop...

It's utterly stupid from Goodwin. Not dangerous or vicious by any means, but niggly and needless.

Why you would even think to led with an arm on a yellow I'll never know, but I genuinely don't think Goodwin does actually use his loaf. That's his problem, it's the style he's always played and doesn't have another way of going about his business.

Aye it's pretty hard to argue against the two bookings.

Problem you have is other players get away with it. McGinn had about 7 and didn't get a booking. Fans just want to see consistency.

I agree, McGinn should have walked as well

Archived