Motherwell vs St Mirren - 09/08/14

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw Goodwins second yellow perfectly from where I was sitting.

He swung an elbow at Suttons head and the ref missed it, before the linesman flagged it up.

Good to get a win considering the cirucmstances. I also went to school with the goal scorer so another wee bonus.

St Mirren deserved at least a draw and I thought while we were pretty poor

Tommy Craig had said before the game Motherwell are good at winning when they don't play well. While I don't think that's right in general he was certainly right today

The performances of our keeper, law and big Erwin were the good points for us.

For St Mirren the wanna be mark yardley mountain of a boy upfront missed a few decent chances. I never knew Gregg Wylde was playing till the second half but his final ball/end product was atrocious after getting into some dangerous positions.

Kenny McLean was very good in the first half and quiet in the second and john mcginn was the opposite way round.

We were second best for most of the match. Had Thompson been fit we might have been put to the sword. Thankfully the two boys that were up front for the Saints were rank rotton.

Goodwins second yellow was for raising his hand to Sutton after the ball was away. Can really comment on it cause I didn't see it but that's what everyone around me were shouting for.

Can't believe some saints fans still stick up for Goodwin. The mans a liability.

Nonsense to suggest he's picked on - his first booking was deserved and then to pick up a second for dissent is just plain stupid.

Anyway lots of positives for us I felt - tesselar and Plummer looked good. As did McGinn and wylde. If thommo was playing we would have won. At one point I called ball "a shite mark yardley" hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

Traffic horrendous leaving Motherwell. Drummer a pain in the arse.

I thought we deserved at least a point from that but Motherwell obviously took their chance and ran down the clock well late on. Plummer and McAusland did very well together at the back. Tesselaar was excellent aside from a couple of poor crosses and McGinn had some great driving runs.

You won't meet a bigger fan of Goodwin than me, but if he did something to merit that second yellow then he really has to take a look at himself. He can't be a successful part of a management team if he is constantly getting suspended. I didn't think he was particularly combative today though, but I don't know what the sending off was for. I felt the ref had a very poor second half.

If Goodwin elbowed Sutton then he should be fined heavily.

And well played Sutton and the Motherwell fans.

Normally even when Jim doesn't foul you have players feigning injury and fans baying for blood.

So well done to all, for taking that elbow so well.

You were beaten by a bunch of kids and you had one first pick missing, Aberdeen or United would have destroyed you.

Long season ahead for the Maureens.

Average age of Motherwell starting line up 23 years old.

Average age of St Mirrens starting line up 21 years old.

Hardly a bunch of kids.

If Goodwin elbowed Sutton then he should be fined heavily.

And well played Sutton and the Motherwell fans.

Normally even when Jim doesn't foul you have players feigning injury and fans baying for blood.

So well done to all, for taking that elbow so well.

^Verge of tears^

Enjoyed being back at the football, Saturday's aren't the same without it.

St Mirren deserved something from the game. No doubt about it but happy we ground it out. As has been mentioned before, a better team or even a fit Steven Thompson would have put us to the sword today I think.

St Mirren missed a few glaring opportunities and Fraser Kerr was being pulled all over the place by the #10. Speaking of which, I don't know any of the St Mirren's players names because you simply can't read the red names on their shirts. That is one of the most ghastly shirts I've ever seen.

Positives for us were Erwin was fantastic I thought and thoroughly deserved his goal, the goalie made some good stops and you can never say no to 3 points.

Don't know what Goodwin was sent off for, but he was an absolute idiot today. No ifs or buts. Silly booking first half then has to spend the whole game watching it, before what seems a needless red card.

On the upside we played well, created loads, but didn't take our chances, Motherwell took their one really good chance. Bit of a robbery, but ho hum.

First game for us but didn't see much in Ball. Didn't look fit and felt our lack of fire power was the reason we didn't win today (aside from Goodwin).

Tommy Craig had said before the game Motherwell are good at winning when they don't play well. While I don't think that's right in general he was certainly right today

For St Mirren the wanna be mark yardley mountain of a boy upfront missed a few decent chances. I never knew Gregg Wylde was playing till the second half but his final ball/end product was atrocious after getting into some dangerous positions.

Kenny McLean was very good in the first half and quiet in the second and john mcginn was the opposite way round.

Quite a few Saints raze about Wylde but for me he runs with the ball not looking where he is going to put it if you watch him closely. Saying that in patches he can be good. I would have him as a super sub using him in the last 20min to stretch defences.

First game for us but didn't see much in Ball. Didn't look fit and felt our lack of fire power was the reason we didn't win today (aside from Goodwin).

'Didn't look fit' is a bit of an understatement. The boy is fat! Like, proper fat.

First things first, this post is hard to type. Can barely see the screen after my eyes were raped looking at that St Mirren strip. Seriously, what's it all about?! Horrendous.

Anyway, thought the draw would have been the correct result based on play but not going to complain. St. Mirren were knocking the ball about well, it's rare that I actually enjoy watching a game between the 2 sides, just a pity the lads up front were rank. We took a good 10-15 minutes to get going but did eventually grow into the game.

As much as 'Well fans may complain about Hammell have a look at what we had in his place today and re-evaluate!

Ainsworth... what a half-arsed first 60 minutes. No commitment, bravery or work ethic. A coincidence that when he finally got his arse into gear we went up and took the lead? Good finish from Erwin as well, has to be said - definitely a big season ahead for him.

Goodwin.. :lol: what an utter fud. Could easily have gone in the first half after a shocker on Lasley over on the Main Stand side. Total liability.

Average age of Motherwell starting line up 23 years old.

Average age of St Mirrens starting line up 21 years old.

Hardly a bunch of kids.

I think they were all playing with injuries though?

More seriously, we knew that Well would not have as weakened a team out as they were saying they would - standard managerial tactic.

Obviously not happy that we lost, but that performance was miles better than so many we put in last season - irrespective of the strength of the opposition.

Very positive going forward, and very good defensively.

Our own Lazarus, McAusland, got up off his deathbed and put in a very impressive performance.

A good sign that even when down to 10, we had more possession and better chances than Well did - and that they felt they needed to waste so much time (even had the Hamilton ball boy technique in play).

So, despite the result, a very promising start to the season.

Archived