Motherwell vs St Mirren - 09/08/14

Of course it does. "Play like that this season and we will be pushing for top six". Failing to score, passing up chances, having experienced players sent off and losing the match.....going to be difficult getting to the top six with zero points tbh. Play like that every week and you'll be relegated, hopefully.

How's your top six bid going so far?

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goals on Sunday had a far better angle where you saw the incident close up and Goodwin definitely leads with the elbow and catches Sutton on the back of the head.

Contact was minimal and you could debate whether or not it was deliberate but I can see why he walked.

Yeah, because he's Jim Goodwin.

Seriously. Ref never saw anything at the time. Sutton didn't complain. No usual 'Goodwin roars' from the crowd.

Most of the fans thought it had to be for dissent.

After watching replays and closeups, even an opposition fan says contact was minimal and it wasn't clear if it was deliberate or not.

Yet it brings a second yellow card.

No chance that would have happened to anyone else.

Even his first booking showed the ref applying different criteria to Goodwin than other players.

He signalled that it was a yellow because he had sweeped with his leg.

Yet 5 minutes later Sutton does exactly the same thing. Foul. But that's all. No warning, no whipping the yellow card out. Carry on John.

Anybody that doesn't think he's a marked man is kidding themselves.

Yeah, because he's Jim Goodwin.

Seriously. Ref never saw anything at the time. Sutton didn't complain. No usual 'Goodwin roars' from the crowd.

Most of the fans thought it had to be for dissent.

After watching replays and closeups, even an opposition fan says contact was minimal and it wasn't clear if it was deliberate or not.

Yet it brings a second yellow card.

No chance that would have happened to anyone else.

Even his first booking showed the ref applying different criteria to Goodwin than other players.

He signalled that it was a yellow because he had sweeped with his leg.

Yet 5 minutes later Sutton does exactly the same thing. Foul. But that's all. No warning, no whipping the yellow card out. Carry on John.

Anybody that doesn't think he's a marked man is kidding themselves.

Jim_You_Seem_Upset_GIF.jpg

Maybe, just maybe, if he didn't needlessly elbow folk in the back of the head he wouldn't end up getting sent off.

He was walking a tightrope already and the ref let him away with a late tackle on Lasley in the 1st half when he was already on a booking. If he really was a 'marked man' he would have been off there and then.

Fact is he's given the ref a decision to make by needlessly sticking his elbow into the back of Sutton's head. You can argue intent or contact all day long but it was something he didn't have to do and he can have nobody to blame but himself.

Of course it does. "Play like that this season and we will be pushing for top six". Failing to score, passing up chances, having experienced players sent off and losing the match.....going to be difficult getting to the top six with zero points tbh. Play like that every week and you'll be relegated, hopefully.

post-13-14076861695442_thumb.jpg

Oh dear. Don't think he'll be on this thread for a while.

Maybe, just maybe, if he didn't needlessly elbow folk in the back of the head he wouldn't end up getting sent off.

He was walking a tightrope already and the ref let him away with a late tackle on Lasley in the 1st half when he was already on a booking. If he really was a 'marked man' he would have been off there and then.

Fact is he's given the ref a decision to make by needlessly sticking his elbow into the back of Sutton's head. You can argue intent or contact all day long but it was something he didn't have to do and he can have nobody to blame but himself.

Why would Saints fans not be a little upset about yesterday in particular, and the way Goodwin is being singled out in general.

For very large parts of the game we out played the team who finished second and came away with nothing.

And Goodwin looks like he's going to have yet another season where he gets booked for things others don't. Both Lasley and McGinn did worse than Goodwin yesterday, yet neither even got booked, and Jim is sent off.

The tackle on Lasley you're referring to wasn't even a foul, but yeah you're right, that wouldn't normally have stopped it from being a second yellow when Jim's involved.

I don't see how anyone can defend Jim Goodwin.

But, hey, it's your team that he harms, not mine.

I watched the BBC highlights, and yep, it's utter stupidity from Goodwin. No defending him here.

What crazy logic is this?

Because St Mirren fans are spot on, it is the rest of us that are kidding ourselves. Goodwin isn't intentionally swinging elbows about and lunging into tackles, he is a marked man, for no apparent reason!

Do you defend Lasley?

I don't think anyone would defend him if he was getting sent of for throwing petulant elbows around.

Needed to re run it on BBC a couple of times but what a stupid thing to do. Don't waste your time appealing as it will probably increase the sentence.

They won't be able to as it was a second yellow anyway.

I don't think anyone would defend him if he was getting sent of for throwing petulant elbows around.

They won't be able to as it was a second yellow anyway.

Its a blatant forearm smash to the back of John Sutton's neck. Should have been a straight red. To his credit Sutton didn't clipe on him. A bit disingenuous of Tom Craig to say afterwards that he didn't know why the second yellow card had been dished out. Did he bother checking with Goodwin himself? Fair play to Saints fans for recognising what took place.

Its a blatant forearm smash to the back of John Sutton's neck. Should have been a straight red. To his credit Sutton didn't clipe on him. A bit disingenuous of Tom Craig to say afterwards that he didn't know why the second yellow card had been dished out. Did he bother checking with Goodwin himself? Fair play to Saints fans for recognising what took place.

LOL!

Players like Goodwin and Lasley (throw Andy Millen's name in there too) probably do sneaky things like that all the time and get away with it - however it's risky because if the officials see you it's a straightforward booking. When you've already been booked doing it is extremely silly. The stupid bookings he got were bad enough when he was captain and meant to be leading by example, they're even worse now he's part of the management team.

Wonder if he's told Tommy Craig what happened. If he claims to him he doesn't know why he's been sent off than that's pretty poor considering he's now a coach as well as a player.

Players like Goodwin and Lasley (throw Andy Millen's name in there too) probably do sneaky things like that all the time and get away with it

Nah... Don't buy that for a second.

That's not me trying to defend Lasley though. He's been sent off a couple of times for horror tackles (one on Pawlett and one at Rugby park last season). I can't ever remember him getting involved in infantile shite like Goodwin does.

Tell me that last time Lasley was sent off? I'll give you a clue, it was three seasons ago.

That's not a very good clue.

Nah... Don't buy that for a second.

That's not me trying to defend Lasley though. He's been sent off a couple of times for horror tackles (one on Pawlett and one at Rugby park last season). I can't ever remember him getting involved in infantile shite like Goodwin does.

Ramsden was sent off against Kilmarnock last season, Lasley's sending off against Kilmarnock was in 2012/13.

Archived