Motherwell vs St Mirren - 09/08/14

Goodwin has to start in midfield. Wouldn't want him as centre back as I don't think he is good enough to play there regularly.

Funny this. I seem to remember a game we lost at Love Street 2-1 - possibly last year where Goodwin played in central defence. I thought he was the key difference in that he got his body in the way of just about everything including multiple last ditch blocks in the box.

As for us - god only knows. We say this every season, but I think we could struggle a bit. Each year the players get older and slower and the quality diminishes, yet for the past 3 years we have finished best of the rest. Wont happen this year as Aberdeen and United will finish above us.

We seem to have a real issue in defence. Without knowing what McManus personal reasons - I hope he gets the strentgh together to don the C&A. Expect that 2 of the other 4 will make it. If not we will have real issues of playing people out of position to compensate.

Would love to see a start for Erwin and/or Thomas, but McHugh is likely to get the nod :( No a bad lad just blows cold more than hot.

We will concede - well because we will and almost always do. Probably from a dead ball /corner kick.

I will go for a 2-2 draw.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

General consensus is that Goodwin is better as a defensive screen, in midfield, than as the last line, in defence.

He's too prone to being exposed to trickery and pace to play at the back. But you're right, as a last-ditch, backs-to-the-wall type, he's brave and puts his face on the line. But I think we all feel more comfortable when he has two defenders behind him.

Funny this. I seem to remember a game we lost at Love Street 2-1 - possibly last year where Goodwin played in central defence. I thought he was the key difference in that he got his body in the way of just about everything including multiple last ditch blocks in the box.

As for us - god only knows. We say this every season, but I think we could struggle a bit. Each year the players get older and slower and the quality diminishes, yet for the past 3 years we have finished best of the rest. Wont happen this year as Aberdeen and United will finish above us.

We seem to have a real issue in defence. Without knowing what McManus personal reasons - I hope he gets the strentgh together to don the C&A. Expect that 2 of the other 4 will make it. If not we will have real issues of playing people out of position to compensate.

Would love to see a start for Erwin and/or Thomas, but McHugh is likely to get the nod :( No a bad lad just blows cold more than hot.

We will concede - well because we will and almost always do. Probably from a dead ball /corner kick.

I will go for a 2-2 draw.

That's the thing. He's not good enough positionally to play centre half - hence he needs to make last ditch tackles rather than being in the correct place to deal with them efficiently. He's much better in front of the defensive unit IMO.

Would be happy with that team despite the fact I've not seen Plummer play yet. Only potential change would be marwood or Caldwell in for teale.

Can't wait to see both Kenny and mcginn played in their best positions in the same game!

If Ball is still well short of f

No idea what team we will play on Saturday.

From Cheesy being out for 6 weeks a week ago, he now looks set to start at the weekend. This is good news for us in the sense it allows Goodwin to move into midfield.

I guess we will look something like:

Kello

Naismith

Plummer

McAusland

Tesselaar

Goodwin

McGinn

Teale

McLean

Wylde

Ball

Although if Marwood, Brown, Kelly or Caldwell started I wouldn't surprised.

The reality of the game is that we are away from home to the second best team in the country. Motherwell are certainly favourites and a point would be a fine result for us.

If Ball is a distance off full fitness I'd have thought we'd play two at the front.

McLean being the main man this season and not punted wide or playing deep is key for us this season.

4-0 St Mirren

McLean x3

Craigan OG

We all know that Craigan was fond of an OG or two, but I doubt even he would manage to stick one in this far into his retirement.

I took in the u20 game at NDP last night - it was brutal btw!

McHugh started the game and done his usual (feck all) and was subbed at HT - probably to keep him for Saturday. Although Erwin wasn't in the squad at all, so not sure what that'll mean for the starting line-up at the weekend.

It was the first time I'd had a look at Dom Thomas. He seems to have been hyped up by many, but he looks a long way from being ready for the 1st team IMO. Wasn't really in the game at all. Cummins was being ran ragged even in the Reserves. Gave away a stupid penalty as well. He should be nowhere near the first team.

If Ball is still well short of f

If Ball is a distance off full fitness I'd have thought we'd play two at the front.

Ball's started our last 3 preseason games and will have been with the squad for over 2 weeks come the weekend. He should certainly be approaching full fitness now.

I would be surprised if Tommy went 2 up top. I just don't think we can sacrifice a man in central midfield to play that extra striker for an away game like this. If we are going to get anything here I feel we need the central midfield triumvirate of Goodwin, McLean and McGinn in the middle and winning the midfield battle.

Ball's started our last 3 preseason games and will have been with the squad for over 2 weeks come the weekend. He should certainly be approaching full fitness now.

I would be surprised if Tommy went 2 up top. I just don't think we can sacrifice a man in central midfield to play that extra striker for an away game like this. If we are going to get anything here I feel we need the central midfield triumvirate of Goodwin, McLean and McGinn in the middle and winning the midfield battle.

If Cheesy is going to make it ( by the sounds of it he is ) I wonder if TC will go 3-5-2? That would probably mean playing Wylde as a LWB unless we were to play Kelly there and play Wylde up with Ball. Cheesy, Plummer and Tess as the back 3? Would mean we would still have McGinn,Goodwin and McLean as our 3 in midfield.

If Cheesy is going to make it ( by the sounds of it he is ) I wonder if TC will go 3-5-2? That would probably mean playing Wylde as a LWB unless we were to play Kelly there and play Wylde up with Ball. Cheesy, Plummer and Tess as the back 3? Would mean we would still have McGinn,Goodwin and McLean as our 3 in midfield.

Don't see it. Not impossible, but feel we with be 4-2-3-1 on Saturday. I think

--------------------Kello-----------------------

Naismith--Plummer--McAusland--Tesselaar

-----------McGinn------Goodwin----------

Marwood--------McLean-----------Wylde

----------------Ball/Caldwell------------

Kelly missed most of pre season with damage to his hip, so he is nowhere near fit enough to start on sat.

Tess will be in the left back position.

Craig said after the Carlisle game that Ball has effectively had no pre-season and is still a bit behind in terms of fitness.

We'll have two strikers starting - we have in all the other friendlies - just remains to be seen whether they are deployed in a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3/4-5-1.

Craig said after the Carlisle game that Ball has effectively had no pre-season and is still a bit behind in terms of fitness.

We'll have two strikers starting - we have in all the other friendlies - just remains to be seen whether they are deployed in a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3/4-5-1.

He's had over a week since then. He's 21 and not injured, he should be able to get fit relatively quickly.

Marwood may start wide right with Wylde on the left. A 4-5-1 should look like a 4-3-3 when we are in possession with those two wide players bombing forward.

Starting with two out and out strikers would be a mistake IMO. Assuming Cheesy starts it would also mean that either Kenny or John would have to be played wide, which never seems to work. We need Goodwin, McLean and McGinn in the middle of the park.

We need Goodwin, McLean and McGinn in the middle of the park.

Everything else should come after that, almost unconditionally. As soon as Craig starts fannying around with playing any of them out of position, that's when the trouble will start.

Everything else should come after that, almost unconditionally. As soon as Craig starts fannying around with playing any of them out of position, that's when the trouble will start.

Totally agree with that (and Lex).

Goodwin has his flaws, but that's essentially a great midfield. Plenty of dig and craft. We have striking options, we have wide options, but they should all slot in around that middle three.

Archived