Motherwell vs St Mirren - 09/08/14

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 3-2 game at SMP last season was fucking carnage. My voice was raw for days. Hoping for another good match up of us. Some crackers over the last year or two (apart from that fucking 3-0 hounding at Fir Park).

I think I'm right in saying we don't have a very good record at home on the first day of the season. I seem to remember a lot of poor results but maybe it's just the horror shows that have burned themselves into my brain.

The 2006/07 season is the only time we've won on opening day in the SPL. Lennon managed three draws before last year's gubbing.

Team vs Carlisle tonight:

Kello, Naismith, Tesselaar, Plummer, Goodwin, McGinn, McLean, Wylde, Brown, Caldwell, Ball.
Subs: Kelly, Reilly, Williams, Teale, Hughes, Ridgers

I can see us lining up similarly next weekend.

Perhaps Adam Brown out, Goodwin moved forward into a reshuffled midfield, Tesselaar moved over to Centre Half and Kelly starting in Tesselaar's slot.

Didn't we beat Hibs 3-2 when either Gannon or Brown was in charge? It was definitely a high scoring game.

Nope - we got beat 3-2 (in a game we should never have lost IIRC)..

We've had some cracking games on the first day - the 4-4 against Celtic and the 2-2 (Ross Forbes goal) game at Mcdiarmid spring to mind..

Thompson definitely out for this. So big Callum Ball will have a chance to throw his frame about. Goodwin has to play in midfield IMO. He probably will as it looks like McAusland will make it. Would prefer Kelly to Tess as well but Tess started against Carlisle so I dunno...

Our opening day has been a mix bag. Last seven seasons has been 2 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats. Think will make it 3 wins from 8, but it will be a tight affair, as despite how carp St Mirren have been, they always play decently against us/we don't play as well as we can

I really enjoy that the Forbes goal is burned into everyone's mind as clearly as it is in mine.

Even I still remember it, although it was our first game back in the top flight for ages, so it was always going to be a memorable game

Aye, it was a properly glorious day. Burning sunshine, the 208 was heaving and a quality game.

As much as it descended to a shambles by Christmas, that 6 months under Gannon was exciting as f**k.

Yep. Turned up at that game with cautious optimism, turned out we were brilliant.

Lot of love for McGarry, the flipside of the excitement around Gannon's six months was the shitey treatment of a lot of players I like.

Yep. Turned up at that game with cautious optimism, turned out we were brilliant.

Lot of love for McGarry, the flipside of the excitement around Gannon's six months was the shitey treatment of a lot of players I like.

Saw a few former Well players having a chuckle that Jim Gannon is now a car salesman apparently.

He seemed to have a similarly bizarre management reign in England. Read about him getting off a team bus at a motorway services and not get back on?

Always remember Marc Corcoran turning up against Motherwell every time. He always seemed to have a great game via Motherwell.

As for this game we surely cannot start Goodwin as centre half. Have to put Tess/Kelly anybody there alongside Plummer.

The fact that win was at Love Street kind of brings home how long we've been decent in the league.

I still don't know what to think of Gannon's time - on the upside, he chucked plenty of young players in, got us through a couple of rounds in Europe and initially had us playing some nice football. On the downside, he was a total sociopath who would have got us relegated whilst turning up for work in a skin suit made from Stephen Craigan and Keith Lasley - so it's a toughie :)

What was the story with Gannon? Did he refuse to sign a longer contract or something?

It all ended in total acrimony - but basically he was one of the very few Motherwell managers to be sacked..They used some excuse about him not signing a contract but it was because he had lost the entire club, never mind the dressing room.

Archived