Motherwell vs St Mirren - 09/08/14

Time for a thread I reckon. Always look forward to games against Motherwell in general as they're usually quite open, so even more so as this is the first game. Couldn't of asked for a better first fixture IMO.

We look to be without McAusland and possibly Thompson who are big blows to us. If we bring in Callum Ball I'd expect to see him start if Thommo doesnt make it. It's hard to see who we'll play at CB with McAusland out. Goodwin back there would provide experience but we all know he's alot better in midfield. Tesselaar can play there and probably will for this tbh. Plummer who will probably come into the lineup at some stage. Or even Mark Williams but I doubt that. If we don't sign another centre half in time I think It'll be Goodwin-Tesselaar.

I think we'll take 1400+ through making for a decent atmosphere. Train for me I think.

My line up would be:

Kello

Naismith Goodwin Tesselaar Kelly

McGinn McLean

Teale Marwood Wylde

Thompson*

or..

Kello

Naismith Plummer Tesselaar Kelly

McGinn Goodwin McLean

Marwood Thompson* Wylde

* Thompson if fit of course.

Still a lot of if's and but's. Looking forward to it nonetheless!

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the nightmare scenario happens (Thommo and Cheesy are both out, and we don't sign Ball), a switch to a straight 4-4-2 could be on the cards. I do think Goodwin will play CH in Cheesy's absence, though.

Kello

Naismith, Goodwin, Plummer, Tesselar

Teale, McGinn, Mclean, Wylde

Marwood, Caldwell

Still wouldn't be a disastrous line-up. Or, to shore the midfield up a bit, a front six of:

McGinn, Hughes, McLean

Marwood, Caldwell, Wylde

Still looks decent to me, though pitching Hughes in the first game might be a risk too far.

Our 1st eleven is pretty decent if we can keep them fit I'll go 2-1 Motherwell

Could really do with a pacey forward being signed and someone to come on right midfield when ainsworth tires who isn't Fraser Kerr

I think we'll see 4-3-3.

------------------------Kello------------------------

---Naismith---Plummer-----Tess----Kelly----------

-------McLean-----Goodwin------McGinn---------

-------Marwood-----Caldwell---------Wylde-----

Think we are expecting more signings to be announced before then. This side has a lot of pace and a bit of flair in it, I'd like to see McLean get in at Lasley. Defence worries me though, big Sutton normally grabs a goal against us.

Seeing as this isn't a cup game we can probably win. 3-1 Motherwell is my bet, with the same line up from the friendlies against Stjarnan. Hopefully we'll maybe have a reinforcement or two in by the game, but I'd be happy enough to start with this

Twardzik

Reid Ramsden McManus Hammell

Lasley Carswell

Ainsworth Law Vigurs

Sutton

Goals for Sutton (x2) and Ainsworth. McManus will get off to a flyer with his OG's as well

St. Mirren have a Top 6 midfield but I don't think they are great at the back or up front excluding Thompson who is another year older. Caldwell and Marwood are very much unproven. I also think that the appointment of Tommy Craig is a bit of a risk. Some people have Teale in their line up? Really? He looked decrepit last term and what age is he now? About 36? Not many wide players do a job at that age.

Motherwell should be better but we should have been better than Stjarnan. It remains to see if that defeat has affected our confidence or if the players have improved their fitness to the point that they can last more than half an hour of professional football without getting a stitch. You suspect some complacency has crept into our squad as well.

Anyway everyone should be wanting us to win this because if we get even so much as a draw, never mind a defeat, Steelmen Online is going to explode like that giant nuclear bomb the Russians dropped on that arctic island and pretty much destroy all life within a 200 mile radius.

You're right about Marwood and Caldwell being unproven, but Marwood is *fast*. If we sign Callum Ball he'll do a job as well as Thommo's stand-in/replacement.

I'm not so worried about our forward options - they are better than they have been for several seasons (tallest dwarf, etc).

It's the back that is still a concern. People picking Tess and Plummer in the middle is worrying - they are both converted left backs and both have played left back in pre-season.

We still have transfer business to do, though, so nowhere near panicking yet.

Should be goals in this, hopeful we can take something. Well could still be a bit rattled after their Euro humiliation.

Hard to predict our starting line up, especially with Cheesy and Thommo injured now.

Can't see us not scoring but can't see us keeping a clean sheet either :( Saints should bring at least 400 or more fans making for a good atmosphere 2-1 'well with Sutton and McHugh scoring

We'll bring around 1000 I think, opening day, Saturday afternoon, hopefully good weather and local game. Had some rip snorting games with the Well over the years. Most notably the last game between us at the end of last season... :D

Recent record at Fir Park isn't great though, last time we won there Higdon scored... For us.

Take a 1-1.

Archived