Greeting people you've not seen in a while

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was the first day of a job I do one month every year, and that meant meeting a huge amount of people who I haven't seen in a ages. They ranged from good friends to acquaintances, to people I don't know that well and even new folk who I've never met before. It was nice to catch up with everyone and it should be a great month, but before the excitement could begin I had to negotiate the absolute minefield that is deciding how to greet each individual person. Hug? Handshake? Kiss on the cheek? A contactless hello with optional wee wave? 50 or so people, 50 or so decisions.

It doesn't really matter what you do, as long as you both do the same thing. The raised hand for a handshake turned awkward nail inspection, or god forbid the hug whilst they go for the kiss on the cheek which feels like embracing your granny when you were a child, you have to be so careful. With blokes it's generally simple (handshakes all round apart from good mates you haven't seen in ages where a hug works), with the ladies there's a question mark. Is shaking their hand weird? How well do you need to know them to go for a hug or the risky cheek peck? So many questions, so few clear answers.

Do any PnBers have any tricks for this? I think we need a more transparent system, and I'd like to hear more from Salmond and the SNP on what the procedure would be for greeting people in an independent Scotland. Discuss.

JS42846333.jpg

Always make sure you have a disguise for such an occasion. That way they don't realise they've already met you.

Also: glad I'm not the only one who finds handshakes with women incredibly awkward.

Life was simpler when they could only get jobs as dinner ladies or prostitutes. None of this awkwardness, lads could be lads.

Whenever I hug a woman I'm at the awkward hugging stage with I always imagine it ending up like when the Undertaker threw Mankind off the top of the cage.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who when saying goodbye to a mate's maw, said maw moves in for a peck on the cheek... you're not sure whether you're the pecker or the peckee - and you end up kissing her right on the lips.

Actually that sounds weird even just looking at it.

• 2 weeks later...

A guy has recently started working with us whose daughter I pumped a few years ago, no bad ride she was.

Dying to tell him. What do you guys think?

Easy Russell, mind what happened last time.

Create a million pound replica of the spaceship from Close Encounters Of The Third Kind and communicate through the medium of musical notes.

Problem solved.

celights-thumb-510x218-29519.jpg

You're a bunch of, you're a bunch of, you're a bunch of, you're a bunch of waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks.

Archived