Craft beer starter kits

Think you are way off the mark here.

Anything you can buy will just be a rebranded version of the old home brew stuff.

You will not be able to make anything approaching the quality of what's sold in Brewdog or produced by Sulwath in Castle Douglas for example.

What you can produce from a kit will taste of varying degrees of pish. It will however get you ratarsed.

Maybe I've just been unlucky but be careful and good luck.

PS homemade wine and saki can get you really ratarsed, and taste ok

• 4 weeks later...

If you are buying a kit make sure they are the ones that have 2 tins of wort that require no added sugar. They are essentially the wort that is used by the brewary, reduced down to a syrup.

They are very good and get close to what you would get in the pub, honestly!

I have tried the Woodfords range, the Muntons and the milestone.

What seems to be a good starter for people, and certainly the first one I tried is the Woodfords, Wherry

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Brew-Ingredients-Real-Homebrew/dp/B002KBC2T4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-2&keywords=home+brew+beer+wherry

Go right back to basics, buy your own hops etc or better still go foraging and collect wild plant material for brewing. Gorse flowers make a great wine, elder flowers, elder berries. Do some research.

I do my first in large, sterilised, plastic buckets salvaged from a butcher's. My secondary fermentation is done in 25L oil drums which were bought new for a tenner. I drilled out a hole in the cap for the air lock and a hole at the bottom of the drum for a tap. I use 2L plastic "ginger" bottles to finish the product.

If you are a cider drinker buy some high quality yeast, sugar and cartons of apple juice, with NO preservatives they kill the yeast. Make up a thick syrup using the sugar with water then mix into the apple juice and activated yeast, you can add your own wee touches too like cinnamon to flavour further. Bottle into plastic ginger bottles and put a balloon over the neck, this will allow the CO2 to escape without exploding bottles. 10 days later you will have a strong, drinkable flat cider or you could screw bottle tops on as the fermentation is finishing (the balloons start to flatten) and you will have fizzy cider as the CO2 gets trapped.

Homebrewing is a fun way to save cash, if you want to save cash then go the whole hog and brew from scratch. Homebrew kits are fine but it is just as easy to do everything yourself, and produces a far more satisfying result.

Don't put your product through a home water distiller though, that would be illegal. ;)

EDIT- Sterilisation is the key to successful brewing, use sterilising tablets for baby bottles I have found these to be the cheapest option. Homebrew companies rip you off with this as well.

Brewing has been going on for centuries without mail order homebrew companies, don't waste your money on their over priced products.

Go right back to basics, buy your own hops etc or better still go foraging and collect wild plant material for brewing. Gorse flowers make a great wine, elder flowers, elder berries. Do some research.

I do my first in large, sterilised, plastic buckets salvaged from a butcher's. My secondary fermentation is done in 25L oil drums which were bought new for a tenner. I drilled out a hole in the cap for the air lock and a hole at the bottom of the drum for a tap. I use 2L plastic "ginger" bottles to finish the product.

If you are a cider drinker buy some high quality yeast, sugar and cartons of apple juice, with NO preservatives they kill the yeast. Make up a thick syrup using the sugar with water then mix into the apple juice and activated yeast, you can add your own wee touches too like cinnamon to flavour further. Bottle into plastic ginger bottles and put a balloon over the neck, this will allow the CO2 to escape without exploding bottles. 10 days later you will have a strong, drinkable flat cider or you could screw bottle tops on as the fermentation is finishing (the balloons start to flatten) and you will have fizzy cider as the CO2 gets trapped.

Homebrewing is a fun way to save cash, if you want to save cash then go the whole hog and brew from scratch. Homebrew kits are fine but it is just as easy to do everything yourself, and produces a far more satisfying result.

Don't put your product through a home water distiller though, that would be illegal. ;)

EDIT- Sterilisation is the key to successful brewing, use sterilising tablets for baby bottles I have found these to be the cheapest option. Homebrew companies rip you off with this as well.

Brewing has been going on for centuries without mail order homebrew companies, don't waste your money on their over priced products.

I looked into doing the cider before but was struggling to find Apple juice without preservatives. Any recommendations?

Archived