False atmosphere

parsforlife

The Mexican waves are a pain in the arse, don't mind anything else though, it is just a bit of fun after all.

I presume you mean a "Weegie wave" - that's what they were calling it last night at the boxing. I'm sure the kids love it, but I'm too much of a curmudgeonly grump to be pressganged into fun.

I would say it was significantly better at Hampden last night than at the 7s, still a little annoying but no where near as bad. Other than a couple of things before the start and a "weegie wave" (who the f**k thought that renaming was a good idea?) it was ok.

I presume you mean a "Weegie wave" - that's what they were calling it last night at the boxing. I'm sure the kids love it, but I'm too much of a curmudgeonly grump to be pressganged into fun.

I'd blocked that out! Was it the young lassie who was doing it? Was at the afternoon session.

The rugby sevens were magic and the atmosphere made it so. Bongo-cam, air guitar-cam and all that nonsense was lapped up by all those who went "I'm not a Pars fan so I enjoy life".

Also, the fact that the crowd were encouraged to support participating countries played a big part. Thousands of people chanting for Uganda for no other reason than they were underdogs was fantastic. The warm memories these players will have of the city, and by extension Scotland, to take home with them is something to be pleased with.

So ram your fúcking miserable complaining right up your lower league jacksie. :ass

Yeah, the music while the gymnastics was going on surprised me, you can hear it at the start of this clip, I was thinking it would piss me off if a shitey song came on when I was doing the beam or whatever.

Another annoying thing, the replacement of cheering with the "wooooo" high pitched noise that I can't do and can also be clearly heard here.

Was working at both Ibrox and Hampden as a volunteer and thought the atmosphere at both, Ibrox in particular, was brilliant. The way the crowd got behind the underdogs at the rugby was great (loved the chants for Uganda) while at Hampden, the crowd seemed to show support for every athlete, particularly those from the home nations.

The rugby sevens were magic and the atmosphere made it so. Bongo-cam, air guitar-cam and all that nonsense was lapped up by all those who went "I'm not a Pars fan so I enjoy life".

Also, the fact that the crowd were encouraged to support participating countries played a big part. Thousands of people chanting for Uganda for no other reason than they were underdogs was fantastic. The warm memories these players will have of the city, and by extension Scotland, to take home with them is something to be pleased with.

So ram your fúcking miserable complaining right up your lower league jacksie. :ass

telt

There has been a good atmosphere at all the events I've attended. Hampden was quite good last night with all the athletes getting a good response (David Rudisha and David Weir probably got the two biggest cheers of the night, outside Eilidh Child), there was one Jamaican discus thrower who the crowd took to their hearts - brilliant dance celebration, cheered on by the East stand, when his bronze was confirmed, and he then came into the crowd for photos after the medal ceremony.

There's some right miserable c***s though:

post-7081-0-99306700-1406882025_thumb.pn

post-7081-0-06238000-1406882039_thumb.pn

Spencer got a massive cheer on her lap of honour, although it's hardly unsurprising that a Scottish athlete winning a medal received attention from the crowd. Every medal winning athlete performed a lap of honour.

There has been a good atmosphere at all the events I've attended. Hampden was quite good last night with all the athletes getting a good response (David Rudisha and David Weir probably got the two biggest cheers of the night, outside Eilidh Child), there was one Jamaican discus thrower who the crowd took to their hearts - brilliant dance celebration, cheered on by the East stand, when his bronze was confirmed, and he then came into the crowd for photos after the medal ceremony.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-08-01 at 09.32.14.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-08-01 at 09.32.53.png

Spencer got a massive cheer on her lap of honour, although it's hardly unsurprising that a Scottish athlete winning a medal received attention from the crowd. Every medal winning athlete performed a lap of honour.

Even the shot putters and hammer throwers?

There wasn't any shot put or hammer throwing when I was there last night, but the long jump winners and discus winners had a lap of honour.

I did feel a fair bit of sympathy for them, on tuesday after the final race the majority got up to leave whilst the hammer throw was ongoing, and that was with the medal positions being fairly close and dry well in contention. He looked like he wanted more than his bronze but even so he should of had more than 15-20000 to celebrate with.

The heptathlon shotput struggled to get mention as well.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-08-01 at 09.32.14.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-08-01 at 09.32.53.png

Any word on what Carlos thought about the Nigerian girl having to join up with the 2 English girls after the 200 in order for her to get some recognition about the fact that she was the actual winner?

Archived