Brechin City v Dumbarton

A win's a win. Came through an incredibly tricky tie and through to the next round of a national cup competition that we're notoriously shite in. We never start well in the season and if these flaws are ironed out in early cup games then brilliant. Now....let the real season begin!!!!

hear hear

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I agree credit should be given for winning a tricky away tie, I'd personally say it's one of the most drab I've seen us since Murray took over. We created absolutely nothing and scraped through via a jammy goal that bounced of a Brechin players head and just crossed the line. This new system we're trying doesn't suit us, the same as last season when we tried it. It's no coincidence we looked far better with 2 strikers and a midfield 4.

We've lost games by 2 or 3 goals and played far better than we did yesterday.

I completely agree with this. We've seen this system before; it didn't work then and it won't work now. Hopefully Murray has realised this as well.

Stealing slightly from the wise words of Ebbe Skovdahl (and turning them on their head) , the patient's still alive, but the operation was not a success.

On another day, and had Brechin shown a modicum of composure when in our box, It could very easily have been City's name in the next round. I felt the result was in doubt right up until the final whistle, and the winning goal carried a fair degree of good fortune too.

I thought it had been established last season, that playing Nish on his own up front doesn't work. Playing 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 didn't look as though it lended itself to the individual strengths of the players selected. Surprising to see Prunty getting another start in midfield. On the whole, the midfield was too narrow. This was one of the few games under Ian Murray's reign, where I thought we fell short creatively. Yes, a rare clean sheet, but it wasn't compensated by a commanding performance defensively, and I don't think we looked any less likely to concede a goal by adopting this more cautious approach, than we did last season when we played more expansively.

As most have said, good performances from Linton, Gilhaney and substitute Campbell. Turner's booking was fully deserved, not a mis-timed tackle, he deliberately took the player out.

All in all, a fairly tedious Saturday afternoon.

Stealing slightly from the wise words of Ebbe Skovdahl (and turning them on their head) , the patient's still alive, but the operation was not a success.

On another day, and had Brechin shown a modicum of composure when in our box, It could very easily have been City's name in the next round. I felt the result was in doubt right up until the final whistle, and the winning goal carried a fair degree of good fortune too.

I thought it had been established last season, that playing Nish on his own up front doesn't work. Playing 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 didn't look as though it lended itself to the individual strengths of the players selected. Surprising to see Prunty getting another start in midfield. On the whole, the midfield was too narrow. This was one of the few games under Ian Murray's reign, where I thought we fell short creatively. Yes, a rare clean sheet, but it wasn't compensated by a commanding performance defensively, and I don't think we looked any less likely to concede a goal by adopting this more cautious approach, than we did last season when we played more expansively.

As most have said, good performances from Linton, Gilhaney and substitute Campbell. Turner's booking was fully deserved, not a mis-timed tackle, he deliberately took the player out.

All in all, a fairly tedious Saturday afternoon.

I just wonder if Murray is experimenting with a less attacking style of play for the games against the "big boys"

hope not, cos we played pretty well in games last season against Dundee Utd and Aberdeen playing our own way

Would not be surprised if you guys are relegated this year!

Pretty sure Albion Rovers and Stranraer fans would've been thinking the same last season after our first 2 cup games. We finished 5th and have only lost 1 of our regular starters from that squad (2 if you count Kane who didn't come in until January).

We managed to win yesterday without turning in anything like the type of performance we're capable of. Slightly hasty to judge our survival chances based on 1 game in the 1st round of the league cup.

I just wonder if Murray is experimenting with a less attacking style of play for the games against the "big boys"

hope not, cos we played pretty well in games last season against Dundee Utd and Aberdeen playing our own way

I think I've seen a few posters from other Championship teams suggesting that their sides have also been experimenting with a more cautious approach, with an eye to playing the new additions to the league. I'm not convinced though that it will benefit us. Hopefully, we'll adopt a different approach in Kirkcaldy on Saturday, as we didn't do too badly there on our last visit.

Trying out a formation for games against Rangers, Hibs and Hearts in a game against Brechin (with the greatest respect) won't give you a true guide as to how well it works. We had the majority of the ball in the game and should have done more with it. The bigger teams will have all the ball and we'll need to sit in, which I'm fine with. I honestly think Murray wants to go with this style. I hope it works but I suppose we always have the fall back of going back to our normal 4-4-2 attacking style.

Kane is a massive loss for us and we need someone of his calibre to come in on loan.

Interesting to see how we are set up for this coming wkend but currently the goals ain't flying in and that worries me!!

Kane is a massive loss for us and we need someone of his calibre to come in on loan.

Interesting to see how we are set up for this coming wkend but currently the goals ain't flying in and that worries me!!

I'd say that's more to do with our style of play rather than our strikeforce. We replaced him with Campbell who has proved he can score at this level.

We scored plenty before Kane arrived, he only got 9 or 10 of our 65 league goals last season.

Last season we scored 32 goals in 18 away matches. This season we have scored 3 in 2 away matches. So I don't think it's time to start worrying yet.

Last season we scored 32 goals in 18 away matches. This season we have scored 3 in 2 away matches. So I don't think it's time to start worrying yet.

I've read this three or four times now and I still can't quite get how that's justification for not worrying? Don't get me wrong I'm not sitting here in a panic praying that everything's going to be okay, I think we'll be okay this year but folk are entirely valid to raise concerns.

By your above logic we can assume:

Last season we conceded 36 goals in 18 away matches. This season we have conceded 3 in 2 away matches. So our new style isn't only boring to watch, it's not showing any signs of improving our defensive woes.

I've read this three or four times now and I still can't quite get how that's justification for not worrying? Don't get me wrong I'm not sitting here in a panic praying that everything's going to be okay, I think we'll be okay this year but folk are entirely valid to raise concerns.

By your above logic we can assume:

Last season we conceded 36 goals in 18 away matches. This season we have conceded 3 in 2 away matches. So our new style isn't only boring to watch, it's not showing any signs of improving our defensive woes.

Well actually conceding 1.5 goals per game rather than 2 goals per game is an improvement. But my point was in response to a comment that the goals wern't flying in. It's far too early to worry about not scoring goals and in any event statistically the position is almost the same as it was throughout last season. Murray has obviously been trying things out in the first two matches and if you don't like the way the games have gone that's fair enough. However I would be astonished if we played the same open football this season that we did last season. The obvious weak point in the team was the defence and Murray wouldn't be doing his job properly if he didn't try to rectify that.

Well actually conceding 1.5 goals per game rather than 2 goals per game is an improvement. But my point was in response to a comment that the goals wern't flying in. It's far too early to worry about not scoring goals and in any event statistically the position is almost the same as it was throughout last season. Murray has obviously been trying things out in the first two matches and if you don't like the way the games have gone that's fair enough. However I would be astonished if we played the same open football this season that we did last season. The obvious weak point in the team was the defence and Murray wouldn't be doing his job properly if he didn't try to rectify that.

The phrase "if it aint broke, don't fix it" springs to mind.

I'm all for shoring up the leaky defence but only against the so called big 3 if required. We had the most successful season of my lifetime last year so don't really see why we all of a sudden need to start playing so negatively. We seem to be trying to play wee sideways passes and keep possession and I fear it will be even less effective against the better teams. It seems for us that attack is the best form of defensive and Murray admitted that himself, should we really be scarficing that?

It's all about opinions I suppose and do agree there's no need to panic at this point. Murray is normally quick to rectify things so I'm confident that if it's not working then he'll soon revert back to what we're good at (if he even goes for the 5 in midfield to begin with).

Rectifying our defensive problems by nullifying our attack isn't the way to go. Sometimes you need to accept that you don't have the players for certain systems/formations. I hope I'm wrong and if we can indeed tighten up at the back and still carry a threat going forward then great, I'll happily be back on here to eat my words.

Archived