Returning home to vote

Taza

yeah i could still walk in with my pals bank statement.

i suppose we could go all iraqi and blow up the polling stations do the purple dye on the thumb.

Wouldn't let my mate look at my bank statement. :lol:

And was just an idea, obviously a stupid one.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is an argument, i dont hold with it, that voting is not inalienable (well we know it is not inalienable) right but forms part of the social contract betweeen citizen and state. Part of that contract is that the citizen should be willing to get some form of ID to allow them to take part in and safeguard the democratic process.

However, probably the reason tht nobody bothers their arse is that in this country voter fraud is so miniscule as to be negligible in the final makeup of national elections. with the advent of multi-member wards in local govt it is probably increasingly irrelevant there too. in the days of single wards for council elections it certainly could be a contributory factor in elections.

Surely everyone has some form of identification, even a bank statement or something like they ask for in other places.

You'll be surprised at the numbers who have no ID at all - they don't even have a bank account.

Excluding Post Office accounts (due to their limited functionality) the proportion of low-income households without an account is 11%. Including them the figure is 5%.

I would be wary of introducing some sort of ID bar to voting without first ensuring everyone has access to ID.

There is an argument, i dont hold with it, that voting is not inalienable (well we know it is not inalienable) right but forms part of the social contract betweeen citizen and state. Part of that contract is that the citizen should be willing to get some form of ID to allow them to take part in and safeguard the democratic process.

However, probably the reason tht nobody bothers their arse is that in this country voter fraud is so miniscule as to be negligible in the final makeup of national elections. with the advent of multi-member wards in local govt it is probably increasingly irrelevant there too. in the days of single wards for council elections it certainly could be a contributory factor in elections.

I can name at least one election where there were allegations of significant voter fraud - the constituency was in England and won by a certain Scottish politician.

You'll be surprised at the numbers who have no ID at all - they don't even have a bank account.

Excluding Post Office accounts (due to their limited functionality) the proportion of low-income households without an account is 11%. Including them the figure is 5%.

I would be wary of introducing some sort of ID bar to voting without first ensuring everyone has access to ID.

anybody can get an NEC for free from their local authority.

My dear maw is shelling out the cash for a 25% higher council tax rate or whatever it is by telling them I'm back home so I can vote, and she isn't even Scottish.

Hero.

No quite returning home to vote but I am returning home for the vote, Live near London and will be home for the vote although don't really have to as my vote will be proxy but feel I want to be there for such an important vote. My Mother has been told that if she votes anything other than Yes for me she is going in a home ;) and if she votes anything other than Yes herself she is going in a home :lol: Friend of mine has bought a house and moved bacxk to Glasgow just to vote Yes now that is dedication.

No quite returning home to vote but I am returning home for the vote, Live near London and will be home for the vote although don't really have to as my vote will be proxy but feel I want to be there for such an important vote. My Mother has been told that if she votes anything other than Yes for me she is going in a home ;) and if she votes anything other than Yes herself she is going in a home :lol: Friend of mine has bought a house and moved bacxk to Glasgow just to vote Yes now that is dedication.

Thicker than a Whale Omlette FFS your poor Mam! How do you live near London but retain your vote?

Just read it again, even I'm not that pissed!

Just read it again, even I'm not that pissed!

He means he is coming home for the vote, but not to vote, he can vote without having to come home but he is wanting to come home anyway.

You not got some warming up to do for tomorrow's riots, brush up on your GSTQ and Loyalist songs??? ;)

Thicker than a Whale Omlette FFS your poor Mam! How do you live near London but retain your vote?

HM Forces so vote via proxy I even mentioned this, as for the Mum comments clearly tongue in cheek thought that was pretty obvious but you seem to have gone full retard.

I think there's plenty fraud in local elections in certain parts of the UK. I remember reading a story in Private Eye about an election in Tower Hamlets where a burka clad voter was challenged by staff at hte polling station, 'she' hitched up her skirst to reveal sturdy hairy legs with running shoes on and sprinted out the door!

Birmingham is also a bad area for electoral fraud.

I think the rise in fraud is linked to the greater use of postal votes. It's far, far easier to fix elections with postal votes than any other way and since 2000 postal voting is allowed on demand. I recall at the time a lot being talked about internet voting or voting in supermarkets, the usual patronising pish that political parties come up with when faced with falling turnouts. It doesn't seem to have helped turnout but has helped some of the worst electoral fraud since before the REform Act, good work.

Archived