Serie A 2014/2015

Zanetti

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The referee has been horrendous. Too card happy early in the game, both Juve penalties debatable at best, and far too many free kicks given for what were just strong challenges or 50/50s (given each way for both sides). Juve look dangerous but I'm not sure if thats partly because the ref keeps giving them so many fouls?

Caceres subbed may be interesting, losing his pace against Gervinho may let Gervinho in the game more.

Will be amazed if theres no red cards in this game (Totti?). Wouldn't be surprised at another penalty.

EDIT: Much more composed second half, Roma looking to be enjoying more possession too, but still pretty end to end.

That was quality, and bonuccis volley was fitting of the game. Gutting for roma they will feel hard done by, deserved something from the game. Red card aside I think manolas is a cracking replacement for benatia, great business by roma. Fancy roma to beat juventus at the olimpico though.

Two very good games last night, as was Lazio v Sassuolo before it. I thought Roma were very hard done by, I don't think either of Juve's penalties actually were penalties, although the second one you could make a case for as I felt the Juve player (Pogba?) was clipped slightly, but IMO it was just outside the box. The referee looked like he was going to lose the plot for the 5 minutes after it, handing out yellows all over the place. What was with the reaction of the Juve players when Roma were celebrating the equaliser? Caceres in particular looked close to losing it. Iturbe's movement and finish for the second was lovely, only topped by Bonucci's winner - what a hit! Manolas getting sent off was a shame as I thought he'd had a cracking game and I don't think Morata really done anything to merit his red, but given the referees performance up until that point it's hardly surprising.

As for Parma, I know we're only 6 games in to the season but I'm a little concerned already. I would have expected them to have perhaps 9 or 10 points by now (Wins versus Cesena, Chievo, Genoa and maybe a point at Udinese), yet they're sitting on 3, having lost all 5 games but the one away to Chievo. The problem isn't with going forward - they're averaging nearly 2 goals scored per game so far, so clearly the problem is at the back - 16 conceded in 6 games, which considering some of the opponents they've faced is criminal. The two main issues seem to be a lack of Paletta, meaning Lucarelli is getting a start every week when he isn't good enough to be doing so.

Looking at the last two games in particular, the 2-1 defeat yesterday to Genoa and the 4-2 loss at Udinese at the start of last week, the goals conceded are almost all down to poor defending. The first goal against Genoa, Mirante makes an arse of a shot to his near post which he should be saving every time, then a Lucarelli special in injury time giving away the ball pretty much on the edge of the box for the Genoa player to slip in Matri for the winner. bearing in mind too that Genoa played over the last half hour with 10 men. The Udinese game was even worse. The first goal sees Lucarelli getting pulled way out of position almost down to the touchline leaving Gobbi to move in to the center of defence to cover for him but he makes a complete arse of it. The ball is crossed in and Gobbi goes to move towards the ball before realising Felipe is already going for it so he changes his mind but by the time he even turns around the ball had been knocked down to Di Natale to equalise. Hopeless. The second Udinese goal wasn't too bad defensively, the little dummy was clever which allowed the ball to roll to Di Natale to score again. By this point though, Parma should have been 3 or 4-1 up, instead they were 2-1 down, the Udinese 'keeper had made a couple of great saves between the Udinese equaliser and them taking the lead. Cassano's little dinked penalty on half time was lovely, although with it clipping the bar on the way in he almost made himself look a right tit. The third Udinese goal seen the Parma defence back to form, with none of them attacking the cross in to the box - I'm looking at Lucarelli again here, but more than one of them could take the blame, but even then the overhead kick whilst on target was weak yet Mirante moves to save the shot, but instead of stretching out his arms to reach it, which IMO he would have, he doesn't really make any attempt to save it and it goes in. Whether he thought it was maybe going wide, I don't know, but it was really poor. The 4th was down to Lucarelli again, he lost the ball fannying about on the touchline and was too slow to get back and it was a great finish from a slightly difficult angle - if I was being harsh, perhaps Mirante should have been saving that one, too.

Anyway, hopefully the international break gives the team some time to regroup and work on the defence a bit, because right now it isn't good enough. Atalanta away is up next in a couple of weeks, who are the lowest scorers in the league, in fact they've only scored in one game from six so far. If Parma were to lose there, then you'd have to say a relegation battle might be on the cards.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Corini has been sacked by Chievo, and rightfully so. Playing 5 at the back at home against Empoli, with all of the options in midfield and attack that he had was unreal. I've never seen such a defensive, scared to try new things manager in my life. Yesterday against Roma was the final straw, not the result because nobody was expecting Chievo to win but the fact they had one shot the whole game against a team who were just training after 20 minutes. The players weren't playing for him and I can believe that, he has absolutely no character whatsoever.

Fiorentina 0-2 Lazio. Probably a fair result. Fiorentina were so poor barring the first 10-15 of the second half once Valero came on. Lazio strolled it for most of the game.

Fancy Parma to win at Atalanta today so much that I've stuck them on the coupon...

Fancy Parma to win at Atalanta today so much that I've stuck them on the coupon...

And probably for the last time. Another dreadful result and yet another last minute goal conceded to see Parma go bottom. If they keep this up Donadoni will be lucky to still be in charge at Christmas. All the good work of last year has totally been undone.

I think there's still a degree of disappointment at Parma after the UEFA cup business. Not that it's much of an excuse but I really do think it isn't helping because they're better than their results so far would have you think.

I'd like to think so but I'm not sure they are, they've shown very little so far this season to suggest they are anyway. Defensively they're a mess, even Atalanta who'd failed to score in 5 of their 6 league games before today managed to break them down, and probably could have had more based on a couple of match reports I've read. I just don't think the players are good enough. Relegation is a massive possibility IMO.

Anyway, I watched the Inter v Napoli game which was pretty awful up until the last 10 minutes. Napoli will be kicking themselves for going ahead twice so late on, yet only coming away with a point. Callejon's second goal was superb. Not really a result that suits either side though. Whilst Milan have improved massively since last season, Inter seem to have gotten worse, they are terrible and its painful watching Vidic play these days.

Archived