An Achievement Unmatched

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoy your moment in the sun, St Johnstone of Perth; you've finally won something, and deservedly so. For what it's worth, you're recent (and only) success certainly ain't better than our record in the early 60's, and not by a long shot.

Enjoy your moment in the sun, St Johnstone of Perth; you've finally won something, and deservedly so. For what it's worth, you're recent (and only) success certainly ain't better than our record in the early 60's, and not by a long shot.

Aye but were you there to see it Liam ? Most of your support and many more besides (like me) haven't witnessed a decent Dundee team .

I am really enjoying our success at the moment and I know that Random is just on a but of a wind up but this thread is making me cringe.

Random Just Gonnie No.

Everything Random typed was spot on.

Aye but were you there to see it Liam ? Most of your support and many more besides (like me) haven't witnessed a decent Dundee team .

A good (and perfectly valid) point, but not the one raised in the OP. The vast majority of Dundee sides I've watched have been average at best with the odd glimmer of hope thrown in to sweeten the deal.

I have, however, seen Dundee play in Europe and that was a real highlight and reflection of (temporary) success. I've also seen us make cup finals, sign world-class players and consistenly thump that tragic mob next door, so it hasn't all been bad for the Dark Blues.

As I said, small glimmers of hope.

These are the glory days for St Johnstone. Consistently high finishes in the league, consistently entering European football competition and, of course, winning the cup. Given that St Johnstone have never won the cup until now it is fair to say that these are our glory years. After 130 years of nothing I feel very proud and privileged to be lucky enough to experience that. In addition to this, it is very difficult to do well in European competition in this day and age, so for a club like us to knock out 2 big clubs 2 years running is a fine achievement. For us, it doesn't really get much better than this. We can safely rule out winning the league for starters. We could win the league cup, which would be amazing to tick off the list. At a push we could make the Europa League group stages if we were incredibly lucky but that really is pushing it. If we did that I don't think things could get much better than that. Whatever happens, I'll always look back on these days and be able to say "I was there."

Probably should have made it clearer in my post that I'm talking in recent memory! Of course clubs will have had glory days in the 50's / 60's or earlier but very few people would have seen it!

Still stand by my original post that the achievements over the last few seasons won't be matched by any other "small club"

This is indeed our glory days and we'll enjoy it while it's lasts :)

I think with a city the size of Perth and the budget they would have compared to Aberdeen, Hibs and Dundee Utd what they have achieved lately has been something to be proud of from their fans

Are you forgetting Dundee's glory years of 2002-2004? Remember when they managed to secure that illustrious top 6 spot, reach a Scottish cup final and compete in Europe for a single round?

Worth it though.

One major trophy in 130 years isn't that impressive, so a run of decent league placings, a notable victory in European competition and liffting the cup does make this a golden period for St Johnstone, imo.

Are you forgetting Dundee's glory years of 2002-2004? Remember when they managed to secure that illustrious top 6 spot, reach a Scottish cup final and compete in Europe for a single round?

Worth it though.

I must've imagined I went to both Albania and Italy to watch The Dee playing European football in 2003 then.

I don't think we'll ever see the clubs mentioned in the original post qualify for Europe three years running!

A lot of Dundee fans kicking up a fuss - probably the fact that the team down the River has had more success than they have in the last 40 years!

Dundee's glory season ( 2002) consisted of winning hee haw and had no notable European wins) stick in though ;)

I don't think we'll ever see the clubs mentioned in the original post qualify for Europe three years running!

A lot of Dundee fans kicking up a fuss - probably the fact that the team down the River has had more success than they have in the last 40 years!

Dundee's glory season ( 2002) consisted of winning hee haw and had no notable European wins) stick in though ;)

It was your use of the "in history" phrase in your OP. Clearly, in your case, history has an entirely different meaning from the rest of the human race.

Archived