Bbc Bias

hearthammer

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got to look at the commentary teams to find out why. They continually refer to "home games" but there's hardly any Scots presenters/commentators!

Athletics-nobody,Boxing-nobody, Cycling-2/8ths, Diving-nobody, Gymnastics-nobody, Rugby 7's-1/3rd, Swimming-nobody, Triathlon/badminton/bowls/judo-nobody & 1/5 of general reporters. That's not taking into account the One show & Breakfast telly.

Considering its Scotland's Games, token Scot, Hazel Irvine moved south decades ago, probably about the same time as Ronnie Corbett!

http://sport-onthebox.com/2014/07/16/glasgow-2014-meet-the-bbc-sport-on-air-team/#respond

Just got to look at the commentary teams to find out why. They continually refer to "home games" but there's hardly any Scots presenters/commentators!

Athletics-nobody,Boxing-nobody, Cycling-2/8ths, Diving-nobody, Gymnastics-nobody, Rugby 7's-1/3rd, Swimming-nobody, Triathlon/badminton/bowls/judo-nobody & 1/5 of general reporters. That's not taking into account the One show & Breakfast telly.

Considering its Scotland's Games, token Scot, Hazel Irvine moved south decades ago, probably about the same time as Ronnie Corbett!

http://sport-onthebox.com/2014/07/16/glasgow-2014-meet-the-bbc-sport-on-air-team/#respond

See, this kind of stuff doesn't bother me. The reason being that I wouldn't cope listening to coverage if it was presented by people like Jonathan Sutherland, David Currie, Rob MacLean and Dougie Donnelly. Yes they could maybe have a few more Scottish ex-athletes helping with the coverage but the fact is, our main Scottish presenters are generally quite horrific so I am glad the BBC slick presenting machine is taking care of it instead of some of the amateurs we have.

I'm utterly shocked a broadcasting company would possibly consider pandering to the majority of their audience. Shocking behaviour

coverage has been excellent.

Howeverregarding your post, the BBC is a non profitmaking, public service broadcaster to the whole of the UK.

They should have no interest in appealing to the majority, that is not in their charter, hence why some of us get frustrated by bias.

Andrew Cotter (athletics) and Paul Mitchell (Bowls) are Scottish. David Currie is reporting at the shooting and Dougie Vipond is presenting on BBC3.

See, this kind of stuff doesn't bother me. The reason being that I wouldn't cope listening to coverage if it was presented by people like Jonathan Sutherland, David Currie, Rob MacLean and Dougie Donnelly. Yes they could maybe have a few more Scottish ex-athletes helping with the coverage but the fact is, our main Scottish presenters are generally quite horrific so I am glad the BBC slick presenting machine is taking care of it instead of some of the amateurs we have.

Exactly. I'd much rather have the network presenters and commentators who cover these events all the time, than a few token Scots who mainly cover football.

To be fair not usually one to complain about things like this but after watching the main BBC round up of the last 24 hours I never thought we had won anything. Spoke about the 5 or 6 England had picked up though, then the Scottish BBC comes on and turns out we were kicking aff with the medals last night at the Judo!

How did the Scotland/England men's pairs bowling Semi go, as the State broadcaster didn't appear to show the highlights? They did interview the English marathon runner twice inside an hour though, with Lineker & Balding.

You do realise that our 'state broadcaster' is providing coverage of every single sport in its entirety across the TV stations and online? They aren't missing anything out because of any kind of bias, if you wanted to watch the bowls it was available.

Plus they showed the highlights of the bowls semi at various points during yesterday's coverage on the 'big channel'.

You do realise that our 'state broadcaster' is providing coverage of every single sport in its entirety across the TV stations and online? They aren't missing anything out because of any kind of bias, if you wanted to watch the bowls it was available.

Plus they showed the highlights of the bowls semi at various points during yesterday's coverage on the 'big channel'.

Right. But don't let that reasonable talk get in the way of a cry of "bias".

They are interviewing that English marathon runner again on BBC Breakfast just now but they are also interviewing that young Scottish swimmer so what does that mean? Maybe I should have timed the interviews to see exactly how many seconds each athlete got? Not sure how the game of 'Bias Watch' works.

There is plenty of bias in the bowls.

#bowlsjoke

How did the Scotland/England men's pairs bowling Semi go, as the State broadcaster didn't appear to show the highlights? They did interview the English marathon runner twice inside an hour though, with Lineker & Balding.

I watched it live on BBC3, then saw highlights in the evening - around 10pm I think.

Liam Gallagher, LIAM GALLAGHER, calling someone a "massive bellend" and criticising their appearance.

I've not noticed any obvious bias. Some idiots are moaning about INGLISH presenters but they seem like the sort of people who are praising the fairly amateurish coverage on Radio Scotland - it shows that football is the main focus for most of these guys.

One real highlight of the coverage has been Clare Balding (never understood the hate towards her) and Mark Chapman's nighttime show. The "experts" have also been reasonably good - Pendleton, Storey, and Hoy in the velodrome, along with Adlington at Tollcross.

Archived