Season Ticket Sales

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been 'totally shite' because we've had fraudsters and con men in charge for the past 40 years. 40 years of false hope whilst United were in European finals, administrations while United were winning the SC yet there's what? Little more than 1000 - 2000 between our core home supports.

doesn't seem much in raw numbers but that's about 25% larger "core support" for united.

I dont doubt Dundee could get up there or thereabouts but this narrative that Dundee are a sleeping giant just waiting in the wing to regain their ascendancy in the city is rubbish, those days are gone.

There is as much chance of United kicking on, Dundee continuing in mediocrity and some sort of Killie/Ayr Motherwell/ Hamilton rivalry emerging.

ETA for the hard of thinking I dont see either scenario happening

I was told that Killie have sold around 4000 but hope it is more.

if Killie have sold 4000 I'll buy a hat and eat it!

Killie's crowds have been on the decline for years! They averaged about 4000 a game last year and had a decent number of games were less than 4000 attended! You'd be lucky if it was 3000 sold

I went to high school during Rangers' 9 in a row and remember well the morning after they clinched it up at Tannadice.

All of a sudden you could see the bawbaggery rising to the surface of folk you didn't know liked Rangers.

My school did have a high proportion of Falkirk fans but it still had far too many OF tossers who couldn't find Glesga on a map of west Scotland.

if Killie have sold 4000 I'll buy a hat and eat it!

Killie's crowds have been on the decline for years! They averaged about 4000 a game last year and had a decent number of games were less than 4000 attended! You'd be lucky if it was 3000 sold

We've sold 3200 from what I've been told. Sold 3700 two years ago.

Most people I know in Dundee either support Dundee or Dundee Utd with a small minority supporting an English team or the old firm. I know mines could be different from yours but it's good to see from my point of view.

Not my experience - a lot of Sellick fans in Lochee and you have the likes of the Monifieth Loyal.

Asking them why they follow their team is like asking a die-hard Labour voter why they vote the way they do - usually because "it's a family tradition".

Thankfully there are also families in Dundee that are not so sectarian - my Dad and his brothers were split equally between the Dundee teams. Great banter and rivalry - but none of the pre/post match violence.

We have a meet the chairman on Sunday so the figure will probably be brought up then. Like most teams in the west of Scotland, the OF take away a lot of fans. Old Firm supporting Hamiltonians will have a go at our crowds yet they are the reason they are so low and when you ask them why they don't support Accies they say "cos they're sh*te" yet still tell you that they aren't glory hunters.

We'd probably be down with Clyde if it hadn't been for Geoff Brown tbh. Hes not put any money into our running costs though, in fact he's only ever put money into us once which he got back within 12 months. I'm not really sure how we've managed to become as "good" as we have, having a ridiculously good run of managers and signings lately I suspect

It's the McDiarmid Park factor. It was reported (albeit before the recession) that our football turnover only represented 40% of our overall turnover, what with the facilties/functions etc we have at McDiarmid Park. I actually spoke to Geoff about this before and he said we'd need an average attendance of over 4000 to sustain our budget/break if it wasn't for the other things up at McDiarmid Park, and that was when we were in the first division.

Edit: I heard whilst in Lucerne that we'd gone over the 2000 mark for season tickets from what I'd consider to be an excellent source.

Christ yeah, I always sort of forget McDiarmid when thinking about how we rose so high, its a sort of silent hero in a way. Can't really understand why some Saintees seem to despise it, these European games have had as good as atmosphere as any ground I've ever been in

RandomGuy., on 29 Jul 2014 - 20:12, said:

Christ yeah, I always sort of forget McDiarmid when thinking about how we rose so high, its a sort of silent hero in a way. Can't really understand why some Saintees seem to despise it, these European games have had as good as atmosphere as any ground I've ever been in

It's a soulless lego land stadium. It might provide well and make St Johnstone a ton of money but as a footballing ground it's pretty damn awful.

Archived