People You Dislike For No Proper Reason

“For no proper reason”
Ricky Gervais is, objectively, an absolute fucking c**t. So I’d say that’s a fair enough reason. 
The only thing better than Ricky Gervais is the seethe Ricky Gervais seems to trigger in people.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
13 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:
“For no proper reason”
Ricky Gervais is, objectively, an absolute fucking c**t. So I’d say that’s a fair enough reason. 

The only thing better than Ricky Gervais is the seethe Ricky Gervais seems to trigger in people.

I can think of a number of things better than both, tbh. 

On 22/01/2022 at 22:51, Miguel Sanchez said:

Looks good for 31 to be fair but appearing on stage with the pet shop boys and not performing West End Girls is reason enough to banish him from the world of broadcast media.

This recent article in the Independent pretty well sums up the current state of Gervais. It's particularly clear he can't do the heartfelt stuff without Merchant, where the Office and Extras rode the line on that perfectly the likes of After Life and Derek are mawkish in the extreme. It's just "controversial" jokes that don't really have much direction or punch anymore, contrasted with laughably bad emotional manipulation. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/ricky-gervais-stephen-merchant-four-lives-after-life-b1988665.html 

I'd also add his most recent Golden Globes appearance was the most cringe worthy thing I have ever seen. 

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Why wouldn't he at 31?

My best friend is worried about turning 25 and staring gay middle age in the face :lol:

So 6 years older than that he's basically a pensioner.

3 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

This recent article in the Independent pretty well sums up the current state of Gervais. It's particularly clear he can't do the heartfelt stuff without Merchant, where the Office and Extras rode the line on that perfectly the likes of After Life and Derek are mawkish in the extreme. It's just "controversial" jokes that don't really have much direction or punch anymore, contrasted with laughably bad emotional manipulation. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/ricky-gervais-stephen-merchant-four-lives-after-life-b1988665.html 

I'd also add his most recent Golden Globes appearance was the most cringe worthy thing I have ever seen. 

Each series of After  Life has been progressively worse, and your right its probably the writing.

There was one this series where the "joke" seemed to be to use the word c u n t as much as possible. Now i dont mind that word, its perfect for many occasions, but it just felt like they had ran out of anything worthwhile to say.

Having said all that, I quite like Ricky Gervais.

16 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Each series of After  Life has been progressively worse, and your right its probably the writing.

There was one this series where the "joke" seemed to be to use the word c u n t as much as possible. Now i dont mind that word, its perfect for many occasions, but it just felt like they had ran out of anything worthwhile to say.

Having said all that, I quite like Ricky Gervais.

I think he's a terrific writer and performer, the Office and to an extent Extras are fantastic sitcoms and the Office in particular has had a lasting impact with the US version etc. Even in stuff I don't like I think when he is funny he's very funny. Tbf it's now 20 years later and you'd be hard pushed to find many comics who have had that length of career and not become quite stale, especially now where commissioners are worried to give anything decent money unless it's an established name like his.

But he's made a lot of missteps: his films in the states were all very poor (a fact about which he appears to be very bitter given how he went from being clearly very desperate to make it there to his Golden Globes rants), bringing back Brent so badly he just ruined the character, and as I say I really struggle to see what anyone enjoys about his most recent sitcoms from Life's Too Short to Date (although the Liam Neeson scene in LTS is one of the funniest bits I can remember); it's maybe just not my style but I never really found much about his standup to enjoy. His main skill now seems to be to keep onside a decent number of very loyal fans who jump on any criticism of him as "haha he boils piss" while they have visibly pissed their own pants. 

6 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Thought Afterlife was decent, but I like his stuff. 

The Karl Pilkington Show was tremendous fun, just silly, silly shit that was harmless fun. 

You could probably put Karl Pilkington on this list for me. I never caught the Karl Pilkington Show but I did watch some of his Idiot Abroad and it started to grate on me that this was presumably a fairly normal guy just acting the goat, which I guess was kinda the point.

Edited by Enigma

He's gone downhill ever since the only times he was genuinely laugh out loud funny and interesting, the 11 O'Clock Show. I doubt he had much to do with the serious work on The Office, maybe the idea of putting Gareth's stapler in jelly.

I think he's a terrific writer and performer, the Office and to an extent Extras are fantastic sitcoms and the Office in particular has had a lasting impact with the US version etc. Even in stuff I don't like I think when he is funny he's very funny. Tbf it's now 20 years later and you'd be hard pushed to find many comics who have had that length of career and not become quite stale, especially now where commissioners are worried to give anything decent money unless it's an established name like his.
But he's made a lot of missteps: his films in the states were all very poor (a fact about which he appears to be very bitter given how he went from being clearly very desperate to make it there to his Golden Globes rants), bringing back Brent so badly he just ruined the character, and as I say I really struggle to see what anyone enjoys about his most recent sitcoms from Life's Too Short to Date (although the Liam Neeson scene in LTS is one of the funniest bits I can remember); it's maybe just not my style but I never really found much about his standup to enjoy. His main skill now seems to be to keep onside a decent number of very loyal fans who jump on any criticism of him as "haha he boils piss" while they have visibly pissed their own pants. 

The scene with the washing machine in LTS had me in bits. Great facial expressions from the lassie all the way through and Davis's meltdown was fantastic. Quite often put that on every so often if I want a quick laugh tbh.