Songs / Artists Spoiled by Vocals

Hedgecutter

Do you have any specific bands or songs which you'd like to love but you just can't because of either the lyrics or the vocalist(s) themselves?

The big one for me is Black Sabbath / Ozzy Osbourne. I just find Ozzy's voice incredibly annoying and as a result can't find the rest of the (what would otherwise be) decent songs enjoyable.

There's quite a few death metal bands that would be good without the vocalist sounding like he's boaking doon a lavvy.

Obituary & Morbid Angel spring to mind.

I can't help but think "Love song" by Simple Minds is let down a bit by its lyrics.....don't get me wrong its a good song but can't help but think the lyrics aren't a patch on the guitar in it.

They should offer a no vocals version for all songs

This. I must admit to paying no attention to lyrics, I just see them as another instrument TBH. I'll be able to recite them but I don't actually digest them properly / think about the overall meaning of the song.

I'm finding the relatively recent love-in for adding women's vocals over trance / dance songs a right pain in the arse (probably commercial as it's started to appear on common radio stations - see Tiesto, Avicii, Armin etc). That said, thankfully they usually have a purely instrumental mix which you can hunt down.

There's quite a few death metal bands that would be good without the vocalist sounding like he's boaking doon a lavvy.

I used to hate the Dead Kennedy's due to Biafra's vocals but I love them now

Henry Rollins was the worst thing to happen to Black Flag. Not just his vocals either.. the whole thing took a drastic turn shitewards

Worst one is New Found Glory. I love a bit of pop-punk and can be done brilliantly and NFG have some good hooks and riffs but that whiny little bitch does ma tits in.

Also the bassist's a c**t

It was Guns 'n' Roses for me when I was 16, everyone I hung around with listened to them all the time. Decent songs, great musicians but I couldn't stand the whiny vocals

Neil Young seems to be an acquired taste for lots of people too

For me, Dunfermline band 70's band Nazareth were superb but vocalist Dan McCafferty could be a bit too much to bear at times. The band are still performing but with new guy on vocals, Linton Osborne, who has given the band a new lease of life.

I can't help but think "Love song" by Simple Minds is let down a bit by its lyrics.....don't get me wrong its a good song but can't help but think the lyrics aren't a patch on the guitar in it.

The lyrics aren't great, but it's not bad enough to spoil it, and I like the chorus, as it's cynical as f**k.

Strange case, Simple Minds - they had something really good, and lost it - possibly when bassist Derek Forbes left.

In a way, they didn't really need brilliant vocals, as it seemed to be more about their sound - massive gated drums, chiming guitars, rich synths, and punchy bass lines - they just needed a guy with a massive ego to do some shouty vocals on top of it all - not really songwriters, as such.

Kerr's vocal on New Gold Dream is even worse than Love Song, but it still can't spoil the track, as the music is really strong, even if the mix lacks power, imo.

Someone, Somewhere, in Summertime and the brilliant Promised You A Miracle are rare examples of the vocal being as strong as the sound the band are making.

Do you have any specific bands or songs which you'd like to love but you just can't because of either the lyrics or the vocalist(s) themselves?

The big one for me is Black Sabbath / Ozzy Osbourne. I just find Ozzy's voice incredibly annoying and as a result can't find the rest of the (what would otherwise be) decent songs enjoyable.

If it wasn't for Morrissey being the uberhelmet that he is then I may have possibly liked the Smiths.

Agree about Ozzy, his album stuff is great but live (after the mid 80s anyway) is chronic.

Bands that do screamo singing for half their songs despite having decent normal voices.

Van Halens different kind of truth album, As great as it is having Dave Lee Roth back as lead singer his voice is fucked these days. There are some great riffs on that album aswell.

Archived