Motherwell FC 2014/15 season

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad time to open this thread as it will be used as a festival of slagging when we get beat tonight :)

On this season - I reckon we'll finish 4th or 5th in the league (which I'd be perfectly happy with). I think Aberdeen will finish comfortably in 2nd place this time, Utd will be a little behind in 3rd - and it will be between St Johnstone and ourselves for 4th. One or two good signings (the wee rumour about Ojamaa would be amazing, even though it's totally unlikely) could make me more optimistic but I think we have enough to finish in the Top 6.

The cups are not really something you can predict - but you'd hope that we'd take any lower league team seriously after the Albion Rovers disaster. We're all crying out for a cup win - but we haven't really looked capable of that recently - so it's fingers crossed and nothing more.

It would be interesting to see how the support react if we do get a middling finish in the league after the 3rd-2nd-2nd of the past 3 years - we've got no right based on budget to expect a repeat but we all know what some of our supporters are like....

We'll get fucked out of both cups at the first round possible and this will be Stuart McCall's last season as manager of Motherwell.

Right now we are the 5th best team in the Premiership and that's excluding the possibility of a club doing well that wasn't Top Six last season.

I'm happy with a Top Six place but I expect a poorer season than in recent years unless we see some decent signings.

There are also some long standing problems under McCall's managerial rule that are growing ever more frustrating due to a perceived lack of any attempt to tackle them.

There are also some long standing problems under McCall's managerial rule that are growing ever more frustrating due to a perceived lack of any attempt to tackle them.

I think this is the thing which is most frustrating of all, to be quite honest.

Losing to that mob from Iceland is bad, but to do it in the same way that we lost so many games last season is absolutely maddening. Sitting back and trying to sit on a lead didn't work at Fir Park, it didn't work in Iceland, it didn't work numerous times last year. Taking off Ainsworth so we have an aerial threat on the right in Kerr doesn't work. I'm not even sure how it counts as a tactic.

Rewind to last season, and each of the Dundee United games. In every single one we found ourselves exposed and sliced open with their pace, and we were soundly gubbed by them. St. Johnstone, who are not blessed with massively better players than us (with the greatest of respect to them), players similar to our own, gave them a doing in the biggest stage in a comprehensive fashion, because they stopped them from playing their game. If we'd got to the cup final we'd have been scudded up and down the park and lost comprehensively, because we'd have done what we did every time we played them.

We seemed to lack direction last year, for me, as we had one game plan. If it didn't work, that was that. We ask players to step into unfamiliar roles in order to fit the 'system'. I said this a few times last year, but the fun and excitement of the 12/13 team was that it was a system to fit the players. Last year, and it appears this year too, is us trying to fit players into a system. It worries me that we're going at that again this season, as we were fortunate last year at times to get through games and get results. On top of that, it was brutal to watch.

I haven't seen either of the Stjarnan games but it sounds like Lasley needs to start being phased out of the first team /into a coaching role.

Lasley was our best player last season by a distance.

He was poor against Stjarnan at Fir Park but it was a poor performance overall by the team. Lasley is 34 and obviously isn't a long term solution but the idea that we just jettison him now is absurd. He is still one of our most important players.

Lasley was our best player last season by a distance.

He was poor against Stjarnan at Fir Park but it was a poor performance overall by the team. Lasley is 34 and obviously isn't a long term solution but the idea that we just jettison him now is absurd. He is still one of our most important players.

I think he's became a lot more inconsistent now, he had lots of great games last season but there was also a few games where he was largely anonymous.

I genuinely fear for us this season if McCall decides/we decide his time is up with us.

Last nights result was dreadful but I shudder to think what we'd be like without him.

Hopefully we can put last nights embarrassment behind us and have a strong campaign in the cups and the league.

fixed that for you mate..... ;)

on a serious note though , MFC have been pretty consistent over the last few years (finishing high up the league , Europe , etc) , do the Well fans think that this might end this season ?? Has McCall taken them as far as he can ? Is the money there for new signings ?

not having a dig...just being a wee bit nosey .....

:lol: Accies stay up and they go down :thumsup2 :thumsup2 :thumsup2

fixed that for you mate..... ;)

on a serious note though , MFC have been pretty consistent over the last few years (finishing high up the league , Europe , etc) , do the Well fans think that this might end this season ?? Yes Has McCall taken them as far as he can ? Yes Is the money there for new signings ? Not after last night, no.

not having a dig...just being a wee bit nosey ..... No bother, enjoy your season.

I don't think there's any worry about not finishing Top Six, the rest of this league are still pish. Not getting into Europe is a real possibility though, not that we do anything while we're in it.

:lol:

Is Mikeywellfan still greetin? Don't get his hopes up eh?

Archived