Best chippy/chipper in Scotland

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can find a decent one in Inverness will you point it out to me?

Although having said that the Snowgoose offers a giant haddock with chips, mushy peas and tartare sauce for £7.50 - not much more than you would pay for a fish supper from a chippy.

Decent selection of beers in there too.

Lorimers was OK when I was last in there, about a decade ago.

Inverness chip shops are extremely below par. The Rajah makes up for it though.

... and nothing better than that (ilarios?)

On the old main street on the way to Alloa? Lots of supporters buses used to stop there back in the 70s and 80s, so they must have been doing something right. Think there was another in Auchterarder that a lot of buses used to stop off at as well.

Edit: after a visit to Google Maps it appears to be on a different street from a chippy I vaguely remember from back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

The Silvery Tay in Dundee is very good, it's just a pity I can't get salt 'n' sauce. The Gorgie Fry is surprisingly good, too!

They have a sister shop of the same name in Newport which serves equally excellent scran. Would recommend if you're ever visiting the posh bit of Fife.

Think there was another in Auchterarder that a lot of buses used to stop off at as well..

The 'top shop' as they call it there (to distinguish it from the other one just down the Main St hill) is decent.

a

The Royal in Annan is a v dece chippy. Saying that, along with the shed (pub), there's nothing else of note in Annan.

That the one on the main road, around the corner from the Shed? Was alright I seem to remember.

For Glasgow, I would go for the Chip Chink Inn.

Best I've had in Glasgow is at a place called 'The Grove' on Argyle street, nothing fancy but they cook fish to order every time. Makes such a difference. Biggest problem I've noticed here is that unless you are fortunate enough to arrive at the right time, they will give you a fish that has sat in the hot display for ages.

Once at a place called 'Philidelphia', on Great Western Road, I noticed they had some pretty poor looking fish sat in the display. I asked what it was and they told me it was cod, fortunately I wanted haddock so I assumed I would get it fresh. I asked for a haddock and chips, and they took out the cod. I said 'is that not cod?' And they said 'yes, but this is here now, you would have to wait for the haddock', I said I didn't mind waiting but the guy kept bagging up the cod and insisted I had that.

It was chewy and had obviously been sat there for a while. That's my one visit to that place, unsurprisingly I have not been back.

Archived