Australia

calum_gers

12 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Will an ETA suffice for entry into Aus or am I better applying for an actual Visa? I think I am safe with just the first but want to be sure.

You don’t need a visa if tourist using UK passport. You’re shiela won’t need one either if she’s travelling on a Swiss passport.

ETA: Should reac Sheila.

Edited by Eednud

17 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

On the topic of the beer sizes, what's the etiquette for ordering? Is it the done thing to go up to the bar and say '2 schooners of tennents and a pot of Carling' or similar?

If you just go up and say '2 tennents please' what would be the default size they give you?

Yo’d be wasting your breath as draught Tennents hasn’t been availabke for years. You’d probably struggle to find it in  any form. A regards size of glass, in South Australia if you ask for a beer nowadays they’ll usually ask if you want a pint otherwise you’ll get a schooner.

14 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

On the topic of the beer sizes, what's the etiquette for ordering? Is it the done thing to go up to the bar and say '2 schooners of tennents and a pot of Carling' or similar?

If you just go up and say '2 tennents please' what would be the default size they give you?

Default would be a schooner normally, have to specifically ask for a pint. The schooner preference was explained to me as pints get to warm if you dont drink them fast.

As for Tennents, the only place I know that has it on draft is O,Malleys in Kings Cross Sydney. $7 a pint, coupled with topless waitresses if you are in to that sort of thing.

15 hours ago, Ross. said:

That one confirms the ETA will do the job. Globetrotter have already sorted that for us, so all good!

ETA is valid for 90 days entry for all UK citizens. It lasts one year, so if you dont use all your days and come back within a year there is no need to reapply.

Default would be a schooner normally, have to specifically ask for a pint. The schooner preference was explained to me as pints get to warm if you dont drink them fast.

As for Tennents, the only place I know that has it on draft is O,Malleys in Kings Cross Sydney. $7 a pint, coupled with topless waitresses if you are in to that sort of thing.
Yes, in my experience, if you don't specifically ask for a schooner you'll be asked if you want a schooner or a pint.

• 1 month later...

Pints are now much more widespread in Australia even in the last 10 years.  I went with a mate about 20 years ago, in a bar in Sydney after we'd arrived he went and got the first beer, after a while he came back with two pints.  I said to him WTF did he get them, he didn't understand until I explained. He said he ordered two pints of Tooheys, the barman gave him a funny look but said nothing, raked around and came back with two pint glasses which he washed and then filled with Tooheys, then spent a bit of time working out what to charge :lol:

Pints are much more widely available if you want them.

Edited by Samsung

• 1 month later...

Sitting in Hobart Airport ready to fly home after 3 weeks down under. Absolutely loved the place and if I could I’d be quitting my job and staying here. Easy to understand now why Aussies are generally so overwhelmingly smug and self satisfied, this place is pretty fucking tremendous.

Cheers to everyone who answered and added to any questions I posted on here, all added to what was definitely in the top 13 or 14 holidays in the history of human kind.*

Sydney was as most described. A few nice things to see but nothing particularly great, could have been any other major city in the world. The Rocks and the Harbour area were decent for food and a bevvy but a couple of days there was probably enough. Melbourne on the other hand was a city that I could happily live in. Stayed fairly central, near China town, and spent the entire time feeling hungry no matter how much I ate. So many excellent restaurants, cafes, bars and pubs, always something going on, and the Mornington peninsula an hour odds drive away was pretty much everything you could need to live a very well fed and watered life without feeling you were ever missing out.

Whitsunday Islands were too hot but the beaches were good, and meant I could go snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef, which was pretty much unbelievable

Best of the lot though was definitely Tasmania. Hobart is a decent wee city, particularly in and around Salamanca. Took a trip around the island, stopping at Strahan, Launceston and Bicheno, went through a few of the national parks, done a good bit of hiking up and around a few of the glorified hills they try calling mountains, ate a f**k load of fresh seafood and had a few wallaby steaks. The beaches at Bay of Fires and Wineglass Bay are simply stunning, to the extent that if you told me someone was photoshopping the images coming into my eyes I would probably not have questioned you too much. Even in the pishing rain and driving wind on the south west of Tasmania it was hard to escape the sheer beauty of the place. I can’t understand why anyone would want to leave, outside of those stuck in the ex mining towns like Queenstown...

All in, a definite 10/10 of a country, despite being full of Australians. Would absolutely recommend putting up with the 20+ hours of flying to get here.

*May be exaggerating a bit, but it has been very very very very good.

Edited by Ross.

4 hours ago, Ross. said:

Sitting in Hobart Airport ready to fly home after 3 weeks down under. Absolutely loved the place and if I could I’d be quitting my job and staying here. Easy to understand now why Aussies are generally so overwhelmingly smug and self satisfied, this place is pretty fucking tremendous.

Cheers to everyone who answered and added to any questions I posted on here, all added to what was definitely in the top 13 or 14 holidays in the history of human kind.*

Sydney was as most described. A few nice things to see but nothing particularly great, could have been any other major city in the world. The Rocks and the Harbour area were decent for food and a bevvy but a couple of days there was probably enough. Melbourne on the other hand was a city that I could happily live in. Stayed fairly central, near China town, and spent the entire time feeling hungry no matter how much I ate. So many excellent restaurants, cafes, bars and pubs, always something going on, and the Mornington peninsula an hour odds drive away was pretty much everything you could need to live a very well fed and watered life without feeling you were ever missing out.

Whitsunday Islands were too hot but the beaches were good, and meant I could go snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef, which was pretty much unbelievable

Best of the lot though was definitely Tasmania. Hobart is a decent wee city, particularly in and around Salamanca. Took a trip around the island, stopping at Strahan, Launceston and Bicheno, went through a few of the national parks, done a good bit of hiking up and around a few of the glorified hills they try calling mountains, ate a f**k load of fresh seafood and had a few wallaby steaks. The beaches at Bay of Fires and Wineglass Bay are simply stunning, to the extent that if you told me someone was photoshopping the images coming into my eyes I would probably not have questioned you too much. Even in the pishing rain and driving wind on the south west of Tasmania it was hard to escape the sheer beauty of the place. I can’t understand why anyone would want to leave, outside of those stuck in the ex mining towns like Queenstown...

All in, a definite 10/10 of a country, despite being full of Australians. Would absolutely recommend putting up with the 20+ hours of flying to get here.

*May be exaggerating a bit, but it has been very very very very good.

To think Oz used to pay the fare back in the day to get punters to go and live there.

£10 Poms

On 4/12/2019 at 07:26, Glenconner said:

To think Oz used to pay the fare back in the day to get punters to go and live there.

£10 Poms

I'd pay them the tenner if they'll let me stay.

I absolutely would move there if not for the distance. Fine for a holiday but full time I reckon I would find that a bit much. Easy enough from here to jump on a flight home at late notice if I'm feeling homesick and fancy a piss up in my local. Not so easy to do that from down there!

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 12:45, Ross. said:

Cheers for confirming. Just need to sort the travel insurance and we are good to go!

And which travel insurance you chose? I've been thinking about choosing the Allianz backpackers plan. When comparing it to TravelInsured and AXA at travel insurance marketplace, it seemed like the best choice..

Edited by rogers

1 hour ago, rogers said:

And which travel insurance you chose? I've been thinking about choosing the Allianz backpackers plan. When comparing it to TravelInsured and AXA at travel insurance marketplace, it seemed like the best choice..

Ended up not needing insurance, turned out my employer provided cover already.

• 4 weeks later...
Off to Oz in October. A couple of days in Sydney as I got a good deal for flights there. Then Melbourne, Wilson's Prom, Great Ocean Road and Adelaide. Do some wine touring then back via Sydney. Can't  wait!
Great ocean road is spectacular. Highly suggest going to Philip island!

My wife and sun are heading over on February.

Are you driving to Adelaide and after the Great Ocean Road? If so stop off at Mount Gambier to check out the Blue Lake and then stop over somewhere in the Coonawarra wine region. There isn't really much to see of you follow the coast road in South Australia other than Robe. You don't see much of the Coorong  but you usually smell it. If doing wineries from Adelaide go to McLaren Vale and/or Adelaide Hills rather than Barossa Valley or if you don;t mind driving a bit further the Clare Valley,

https://southaustralia.com/plan-your-trip/maps-and-brochures

Edited by Eednud