Australia

calum_gers

Heading over for a month at the end of October, a week in Perth (got mates there) four nights in Melbourne, a week or so in Sydney, followed by similar in the Gold Coast/Brisbane area.

Can anyone offer advice on the best things to do or see? (I can't see another Australia thread...Apologies if there already is one)

Cheers.

I just got back from Australia last week after my trip loved every minute of it. I was only in Sydney and Brisbane, but still found loads to do. Would recommend the jet boat around the harbour in Sydney, great views and its great fun. I also done the bridge climb, was about 250 Aus Dollars, but that was worth every penny. Darling Harbour is good, would also head to the various beaches near Sydney as well. Train and Bus travel is pretty cheap. Would also say head to Manly, you can get the boat from the circular quay, which takes you over there. The beach at Manly is amazing and the whole place is great.

In Brisbane, it's not as touristy as Sydney, but still a good few things to do. If you get a chance, do the tour of Suncorp Stadium. One of the best stadium's I have been to. I managed to go to State of Origin, but that's only on around May-July time. Would also say head to Australia Zoo, we got a deal where we got picked up in Brisbane and taken to the zoo and brought back, was about 100 dollars. The Zoo is a great day out. Also head to South Bank in Brisbane for a chilled out day, at the beach and the parklands. If you want a night out, head to Fortitude Valleys, loads of clubs and pubs there. We didn't get a chance to head up/down the Gold Coast, but only heard good things about it.

Have a good time and hope you enjoy it!!

Also forgive the vague description (and it might not even be there anymore) but the best night I had in Australia was a random pub I stumbled upon just outside Chinatown in Melbourne called "The <forgot this part> Hotel". Pretty sure it was named after a place in England like "The Devonshire Hotel". Just a really weird mixed clientèle full of absolute weirdos who were all friendly as f**k.

Also, dunno if it's yer thing, but the theme parks in the Gold Coast are good fun

Found it: http://www.exfordhotel.com.au/

Again no idea what it's like now. I ended up helping a Thai guy hustle American tourists at pool

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

Melbourne, mcg is a must, eureka tower is decent. Some good holocaust/Jewish museums near st kilda if you're interested ok that sort of thing, I was unaware of Jews in Australia til I moved there. Some cracking hidden pubs notably section 8, Berlin bar and the croft institute around Chinatown alone, ponyfish island in the middle of the river is awesome too and if you want cheap beers try Asian beer cafe in Melbourne Central.

Uluru/ Ayers Rock is great but Alice springs is an isolated shithole so probably not worth the time and money of you're only there a month. Blue mountains easily done on day trip from Sydney and highly recommended. Fraser Island my favourite place in the country but a bit north of Brisbane. Wasn't mad on the Gold Coast.

I was in Perth over new year, loved every minute of it. The weather was tremendous, nightlife excellent and there was a lot to do during the day.

It's pretty expensive though, drink wise.

You're spending heaps of time in the cities - most of the fun things to do over here are outside of them. They're nice enough (though I've not been to Perth yet), but after you've seen all of the main sights they're the same as any other city.

I'd really suggest going to Cairns for a few days. We went there for 3 days when my family were over for a holiday. We went diving on the great barrier reef, went on a tour through the Daintree rainforest, and went white water rafting. it was easily the best part of the trip!

The great ocean road's a good road trip from Melbourne, and there are a ton of companies there that'll rent you out a camper van.

• 3 weeks later...

You're spending heaps of time in the cities - most of the fun things to do over here are outside of them. They're nice enough (though I've not been to Perth yet), but after you've seen all of the main sights they're the same as any other city.

I'd really suggest going to Cairns for a few days. We went there for 3 days when my family were over for a holiday. We went diving on the great barrier reef, went on a tour through the Daintree rainforest, and went white water rafting. it was easily the best part of the trip!

The great ocean road's a good road trip from Melbourne, and there are a ton of companies there that'll rent you out a camper van.

Oh aye, my plan is to be based there but move about a bit.

I'm only in Perth so long because of my mate and I expect Brisbane will be a day or two at most then a lot moving around.

Thank so far guys,
Got a very specific question though.
There's a t20 international on 9th November, it's scheduled to finish around 10.30/11. I see the trams run until 11.30, will there be extra or other modes of transport back to the city centre?
Also, I'm swithering between Silver and Bronze tickets, Bronze are dirt cheap so I guess awful seats. Has anyone been the Sydney Olympic Stadium.

Also, I'm swithering between Silver and Bronze tickets, Bronze are dirt cheap so I guess awful seats. Has anyone been the Sydney Olympic Stadium.

I was there for an Australia Uruguay game a few years ago. Can't for the life of me remember what kind of tickets I had, but the stadium is good.

• 2 months later...
Alright gents, thanks for the input so far.

My plan of driving up the cost from Sydney to Brisbane has been scuppered basically because most places want an extraordinary amount of money for dropping off in a different place.

Anyway, I've looking at this...

As a few of the places up the coast look decent and I'm in no real rush to reach Brisbane by the looks of things.

Does anyone have any advice and will it be valid on most trains? Oh aye and will I be able to rock up a day or two in advance and buy it for the same price?

Cheers.

I did greyhound from Byron to cairns which was great craic, was only one long leg involved and good way to meet people. I got full rail pass in cairns, got upgraded for trip to Sydney. Got to do Ghan up from Adelaide to Alice springs then trip to Ayers Rock. 4 days back from Perth to Sydney was an experience too, couldn't recommend it enough, I think I spent two weeks sleeping on trains altogether and it was fairly comfortable, I'm 6"3 too and the facilities in the basic car were great with plenty if seats in the restaurant, plenty if toilets and showers.

That pass will be fine for you. Loads of great places in between, Fraser Island a must, magnetic island was really good too. If you go to the kakuda rainforest trip from cairns there's a 'Scottish' restaurant, not very authentic but decent when you're homesick, even if you're not even Scottish like me.

Alright gents, thanks for the input so far.
My plan of driving up the cost from Sydney to Brisbane has been scuppered basically because most places want an extraordinary amount of money for dropping off in a different place.
Anyway, I've looking at this...
As a few of the places up the coast look decent and I'm in no real rush to reach Brisbane by the looks of things.
Does anyone have any advice and will it be valid on most trains? Oh aye and will I be able to rock up a day or two in advance and buy it for the same price?
Cheers.

Get the bus to Byron or surfers, pull a local, get her to drive you to Brisbane. Easy.

I did greyhound from Byron to cairns which was great craic, was only one long leg involved and good way to meet people. I got full rail pass in cairns, got upgraded for trip to Sydney. Got to do Ghan up from Adelaide to Alice springs then trip to Ayers Rock. 4 days back from Perth to Sydney was an experience too, couldn't recommend it enough, I think I spent two weeks sleeping on trains altogether and it was fairly comfortable, I'm 6"3 too and the facilities in the basic car were great with plenty if seats in the restaurant, plenty if toilets and showers.

That pass will be fine for you. Loads of great places in between, Fraser Island a must, magnetic island was really good too. If you go to the kakuda rainforest trip from cairns there's a 'Scottish' restaurant, not very authentic but decent when you're homesick, even if you're not even Scottish like me.

I got the bus from Sydney to Byron and as I got on this couple were just staring at me big time. About half an hour into the drive I fell a tap on my shoulder and it's the bloke.

I'm sitting there thinking 'what have I done?' but it turns out all he wanted to know was where I got a bottle of Irn Bru from 'cos I'd somehow stuck both him and his Mrs into some kind of homesick trance by carrying ginger on the bus.

I felt kinda bad explaining that not only are there lots of shops selling 'british' goods to ex pats but the supermarkets sell the stuff too.

Get the bus to Byron or surfers, pull a local, get her to drive you to Brisbane. Easy.

I got the bus from Sydney to Byron and as I got on this couple were just staring at me big time. About half an hour into the drive I fell a tap on my shoulder and it's the bloke.

I'm sitting there thinking 'what have I done?' but it turns out all he wanted to know was where I got a bottle of Irn Bru from 'cos I'd somehow stuck both him and his Mrs into some kind of homesick trance by carrying ginger on the bus.

I felt kinda bad explaining that not only are there lots of shops selling 'british' goods to ex pats but the supermarkets sell the stuff too.

Yeah it's not even particularly expensive in Coles. Paid over $4 for a pot noodle on a few occasions :-(

Yeah it's not even particularly expensive in Coles. Paid over $4 for a pot noodle on a few occasions :-(

Do you actually buy them in the UK?

In melbourne I once bought an entire round of tennents super.

I wouldn't consider drinking that pish here.

If you are in Perth for a few days then get over to Rottnest Island. Great beaches and you can hire a bike and cycle round in a day.

On the East Coast I spent a night in Newcastle ( got mates there). Quite nice by the beach. If you are planning to head further north than Brisbane then Noosa, Fraser Island and Airlie Beach are good breaks. Its a long way though - I did the Greyhound bus that somebody else mentioned and some legs were 12 hrs+.