Scottish Sports

orlandoblue

Why can't local communities take control of sports facilities after independence.

I would also like to see the facilities we do have being used.

What's the point in having a running track or football pitches sitting empty all week.

I don't know how it could be done to prevent vandalism and to ensure safety, but why not let people use them at extremely reduced rates.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would also like to see the facilities we do have being used.

What's the point in having a running track or football pitches sitting empty all week.

I don't know how it could be done to prevent vandalism and to ensure safety, but why not let people use them at extremely reduced rates.

This is the rub, we get sports halls in the villages, whoopeedo, then they proceed to charge too much for the facilities in these villages that usually have next to heehaw in them, they don't draw enough cash to operate them properly then have them constantly under threat of closure, it's madness, see the bigger picture ffs, it shouldn't be all down to the balance sheet of a facility, things like the kids physical and mental wellbeing, less vandalism, changing the life path of some youngsters etc should all be in the mix when we consider the value of these sort of facilities, they're not because those deciding live nowhere near the places they make decisions about.

This is the rub, we get sports halls in the villages, whoopeedo, then they proceed to charge too much for the facilities in these villages that usually have next to heehaw in them, they don't draw enough cash to operate them properly then have them constantly under threat of closure, it's madness, see the bigger picture ffs, it shouldn't be all down to the balance sheet of a facility, things like the kids physical and mental wellbeing, less vandalism, changing the life path of some youngsters etc should all be in the mix when we consider the value of these sort of facilities, they're not because those deciding live nowhere near the places they make decisions about.

I agree.

I sent an email to a local councillor about the facilities that were left unused for the entire week. Can't remember what he said. I'll look through my emails.

I appreciate that it would be unfair if some people were getting the facilities for free and some people were paying for them.

Perhaps organisations or groups could make a request to the council, to use the facilities at certain times (when the facilities are empty), detailing the positive effects which their use could have and agreeing to be pay for any damage caused.

The council could appraise these and if it is seen as genuinely beneficial they could use the facilities for free.

Hmm. Not sure. How could they do it?

I agree.

I sent an email to a local councillor about the facilities that were left unused for the entire week. Can't remember what he said. I'll look through my emails.

I appreciate that it would be unfair if some people were getting the facilities for free and some people were paying for them.

Perhaps organisations or groups could make a request to the council, to use the facilities at certain times (when the facilities are empty), detailing the positive effects which their use could have and agreeing to be pay for any damage caused.

The council could appraise these and if it is seen as genuinely beneficial they could use the facilities for free.

I agree.

If we have hundreds of them independently run all over the country I'm sure that at least one facility will provide the answers.

If we have hundreds of them independently run all over the country I'm sure that at least one facility will provide the answers.

Independently you say?

Hmmmm...

Good facilities are important but I see that the 13yo lass who won bronze in swimming trained in an 18m local pool in Shetland.

Would still like to see Norwegian style facitilies where communuties - even small 'remote' ones - have access to quality services.

Just throwing this one out there

Scotland has 13 golds, 8 silvers and 12 bronzes.

If there was a team GB it would have 43 golds, 43 silvers and 46 bronzes and be easily leading the medals table.

Your point? It's already a straight fight between England and Australia every year anyway without making it even more dull by making a TeamGB.

Your point? It's already a straight fight between England and Australia every year anyway without making it even more dull by making a TeamGB.

Just saying there would be more success to celebrate if we combined as a team GB.

Just saying there would be more success to celebrate if we combined as a team GB.

But a lot of people wouldn't celebrate it..... I don't understand why you are opening this can of worms again. If England and Wales are the same country as us why aren't you celebrating it anyway?

Just throwing this one out there

Scotland has 13 golds, 8 silvers and 12 bronzes.

If there was a team GB it would have 43 golds, 43 silvers and 46 bronzes and be easily leading the medals table.

No it wouldn't.

How many of the Scottish athletes that got medals would have got into team GB?

You cant just add the two together you twat.

But a lot of people wouldn't celebrate it..... I don't understand why you are opening this can of worms again. If England and Wales are the same country as us why aren't you celebrating it anyway?

Because I'm not English. I am British. Two different things. Much like you can be Scottish without being Glaswegian, you can be British without being English.

No it wouldn't.

How many of the Scottish athletes that got medals would have got into team GB?

You cant just add the two together you twat.

U mad?

It's a simple matter of fact that a commonwealth team GB would have won more medals than the Scotland team have.

Because I'm not English. I am British. Two different things. Much like you can be Scottish without being Glaswegian, you can be British without being English.

U mad?

It's a simple matter of fact that a commonwealth team GB would have won more medals than the Scotland team have.

No. You added England and Scotland medals together. Twat.

No. You added England and Scotland medals together. Twat.

You seem upset.

fwiw I also added Wales and Norn Iron, as well as the Isle of Man (The Channel Islands as well, but neither has medalled yet)

Simple question, who would have more medals

Team Scotland or a hypothetical team GB

It's not difficult.

You seem upset.

fwiw I also added Wales and Norn Iron, as well as the Isle of Man (The Channel Islands as well, but neither has medalled yet)

Simple question, who would have more medals

Team Scotland or a hypothetical team GB

It's not difficult.

Are you genuinely struggling to see that not all of the athletes competing would make it into a Team GB?

You can't just add up the medals the home nations have won.

Well you can, as it's you.

Are you genuinely struggling to see that not all of the athletes competing would make it into a Team GB?

You can't just add up the medals the home nations have won.

Well you can, as it's you.

Of course not all of the athletes competing would make it in. The ones that would be removed would be the no-hopers.

Whilst it's incorrect to say that you can simply add them together, the vast majority of medal winners from any of the home nations would have made team GB for the commonwealth games.

You haver some amount of shite. England and Wales are still British though so why aren't you celebrating their medals?

Why are we competing as different countries if we are all the same country?

Archived